U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 PM

309 posts, read 569,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Obviously you don't get it either. I travel on highways a lot and I'm telling you parking in the passing lane is not only annoying it's downright dangerous. I've seen angry drivers find a way to get around the offender, then take a sharp left, cutting right in front of them to send a message. One guy couldn't have missed the front bumper by more than a few feet. I've seen other equally dangerous moves, all because some idiot is simply not paying attention.

No, it's all because some idiot decides he or she wants to drive in an aggressive manner. I do agree driving slow in the fast lane can be dangerous, but it's not a passing vehicle's place to send a "message" to the slow vehicle, especially in that manner. That is by far more dangerous and can cause an accident, all because someone can't drive their way on the highway.

If I am working and see that happen guess who I am pulling over and citing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
No, it's all because some idiot decides he or she wants to drive in an aggressive manner. I do agree driving slow in the fast lane can be dangerous, but it's not a passing vehicle's place to send a "message" to the slow vehicle, especially in that manner. That is by far more dangerous and can cause an accident, all because someone can't drive their way on the highway.

If I am working and see that happen guess who I am pulling over and citing?
I agree that the aggressive driver is the one who should be pulled over, as I said these are very dangerous moves. But if there is a drunk at a bar annoying people and hitting on a guy's wife when the guy has had enough and decks the guy you would be arresting the husband for assault, not the annoying drunk, right? But really were did the problem start? My point remains this driver would not be forced to make these moves if the person in the passing lane understood that it is a PASSING LANE. It all starts there. Pay attention and you won't force people to make bad decisions.

There is a reason the system works so well in Europe. People there get it. I can't tell you how many times the person parked in the passing lane is on the phone or jabbering away with the passenger. As I said an idiot who is not paying attention. And that's damn dangerous too.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,045,286 times
To use a public facility-structure ( as the way-system is ) means upload a person with a lot of responsibilities, people often underestimate these responsibilities, to drive a car is a great responsability

Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I agree that the aggressive driver is the one who should be pulled over, as I said these are very dangerous moves. But if there is a drunk at a bar annoying people and hitting on a guy's wife when the guy has had enough and decks the guy you would be arresting the husband for assault, not the annoying drunk, right? But really were did the problem start? My point remains this driver would not be forced to make these moves if the person in the passing lane understood that it is a PASSING LANE. It all starts there. Pay attention and you won't force people to make bad decisions.
Wow I hope you are kidding. I'm sorry but that is a horrible way of thinking. Two wrongs never make a right.

No one is forcing anyone to make bad decisions; people do that on their own. If a person drives aggressively due to someone hogging the left lane, then they just responded to a simple annoyance with a crime. If someone punches an annoying drunk for flirting with their girlfriend, then they also just responded to an annoyance by committing a crime. Neither response is mature -- both are over the top, excessive, illegal, and are prime examples of people losing their cool over nothing significant. Sure, the problem might start with the drunk flirting, but there are plenty of other options you have other than hitting him to resolve the situation. By hitting him, you just turned one problem into a bigger one. What's worse -- someone bothering someone or someone assaulting someone? And what example am I suppose to arrest the drunk for? Being drunk in a bar? Being annoying? Flirting with someone's girlfriend? As it turns out neither of those annoyances are crimes.

Instead of letting people get to you, be the bigger person by removing yourself from a situation, or better yet, not putting yourself into one in the first place. That goes for anything in life.

Last edited by tgs_bg; 03-16-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,015,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post

Instead of letting people get to you, be the bigger person by removing yourself from a situation, or better yet, not putting yourself into one in the first place. That goes for anything in life.
So if I wanted to pass and someone is holding up the left lane and refuse to move over. Am I suppose to remove myself from the situation by passing them on the right, perhaps putting my own safety at risk? or should I just always pass on the right to not put myself in that situation in the first place? I always make an effort to pass on the left before ultimately moving to the right. So I should just sit back and do nothing because its a simple annoyance?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM

2,663 posts, read 2,769,813 times
If you have to put your safety at risk no you shouldn't. But I don't see what the big deal is about having to pass on the right. If we had roads that weren't generally above capacity maybe I would but generally I find all lanes running near bumper to bumper sometimes have the middle or right lane flowing faster than the left lane. I don't see the left lane as only to be used for passing. it is 1/2 or 1/3 of the capacity of the road.

I actually wish we had more speed enforcement on the interstates. I'm tired of people pushing other vehicles at 15-30 mph above the limit

Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
So if I wanted to pass and someone is holding up the left lane and refuse to move over. Am I suppose to remove myself from the situation by passing them on the right, perhaps putting my own safety at risk? or should I just always pass on the right to not put myself in that situation in the first place? I always make an effort to pass on the left before ultimately moving to the right. So I should just sit back and do nothing because its a simple annoyance?

When I say "remove yourself from the situation", I am talking about not losing your cool and acting like a responsible adult so there is no "situation" to begin with. If someone is holding up the left lane, either go around them safely, or hang back and see if they get the hint. Either is fine, and you are not going to put your own safety at risk by passing on the right unless you feel "forced" to make a "bad decision" and drive in an aggressive manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you have to put your safety at risk no you shouldn't. But I don't see what the big deal is about having to pass on the right. If we had roads that weren't generally above capacity maybe I would but generally I find all lanes running near bumper to bumper sometimes have the middle or right lane flowing faster than the left lane. I don't see the left lane as only to be used for passing. it is 1/2 or 1/3 of the capacity of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I actually wish we had more speed enforcement on the interstates. I'm tired of people pushing other vehicles at 15-30 mph above the limit
Itís not a big deal to pass on the right. Yes, you should pass on the left whenever possible, but the passing on the right laws that are in place are more applicable to rural two-lane roadway, not interstates or heavily traveled routes.
Wow, someone who wants more speed enforcement conducted! Donít hear that too often anymore.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Of course 2 wrongs don't make a right. And I'm not claiming that aggressive driving or punching a guy in a bar is not worse behavior than parking in the fast lane or hitting on a guy's wife. I'm simply pointing out that if we remove the source of what started the entire incident we could go a long way in avoiding all the potential problems that are a result of the domino effect that started with the guy in the passing lane.

In almost every incident around here anyway the solution is not as simply as passing on the right.. I invite you to ride up 95 or out Route 70 and see how open the lane next to the passing lane with a driver going under the speed limit is for an easy pass on the right. In the vast majority of occasions the right lane is full, full of cars whose drivers understand that is where you belong unless you are passing. So the guy who is being blocked gets even more frustrated because there is no simply solution to the problem and after 5 miles of this he finally ends up making a stupid move.

So even though the guy in the passing lane is not "forcing" the frustrated driver behind him into a dangerous move he sure is playing a key roll. And really that is what this entire discussion is about, the problems this behavior can cause.

And again the vast majority of passing lane parkers I have seen are distracted drives who are simply not paying attention. Sorry that is very dangerous too. So sitting back and waiting for a distracted driver who is not paying attention to suddenly wake up and get over is not realistic, it rarely heppens.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 03-16-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Quote:
The ticket was dismissed. Officer cited wrong law.
What do you know?... a cop who doesn't know the law he's supposed to enforce....

As for impeding traffic.....
Technically a driver could impede traffic at below or above the speed limit.
On the Beltway someone going 60 is "impeding" traffic....heck, even 65 mph.

Given that the impeding law says (2) at less than the normal speed of traffic, and that is NOT defined as the POSTED speed limit...
If you get a speeding ticket, you SHOULD be able to use the 'defense' of if I'd driven any slower I would have been "impeding traffic."

For the most part, I've given up getting ticked off at people hogging the right lane at below speed. I just go around in the first place, pass on the right, and go one about my business. Most times the lane to the right is open so there's no delay in passing around them. Even if traffic is tighter....it's not too, too long before I can get around.

I'm just done with folks like that and other inconsiderate drivers....who don't use turn signals, or turn left where there's CLEARLY no left turn. I'm starting to do anything on the road I can get away with. Many other's don't care. I don't see why I should be inconvenienced when I'M THE ONE OBEYING the law. THEY are turning me INTO one of THEM. I'm cutting fewer and fewer people a break.

Last edited by selhars; 03-16-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
I don't know if issuing tickets or citations is the answer, but I am glad this has been receiving media attention. I am not from Maryland, but I live here now. I have lived in a few States so far from the West Coast to the Midwest to New England to here and one thing that irks me about driving on Maryland highways is that drivers will drive as fast, or as slow, as they want in any lane. This seems to be a point of contention in Maryland, but in general, across the U.S., it is common for slower traffic to keep to the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland