U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM

87 posts, read 96,434 times

Advertisements

I think she deserved it too. Never knew they could actually get round to doing so.

Md. Woman Cited for Driving Too Slowly in Left Lane | NBC4 Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 PM

26,860 posts, read 57,900,981 times
Amen. It's bad enough to hog the lane but to do so at less than posted? No.
Quote:
A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left.
Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane.

Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they
are going slower than the normal speed of traffic

A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right or permit vehicles moving
at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions.
If driving 10 MPH under speed limit, or slower than speed of traffic
if conditions require speed below limit. 21-301

Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,775,458 times
It will be thrown out, or the cop just won't appear. The State can't defend giving the ticket for only 2 MPH below the legal limit. And there are two many published references that Maryland does not require drivers on multilane limited access roads to keep right except to pass. The trooper was dumb. If anything he should have written a warning. that would have gotten her on the shoulder and let traffic flow.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,017,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It will be thrown out, or the cop just won't appear. The State can't defend giving the ticket for only 2 MPH below the legal limit. And there are two many published references that Maryland does not require drivers on multilane limited access roads to keep right except to pass. The trooper was dumb. If anything he should have written a warning. that would have gotten her on the shoulder and let traffic flow.
There is a law against impeding traffic in which the woman was accused of. The woman's excuse was she did not feel safe traveling with high wind gust. There is no reason for her to be in the left lane to begin with. She was 15 miles away from the nearest interchange that required a left exit.

I. A person shall not operate willfully operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. Tran. '21-804(a)
II. A person, who is driving a vehicle either (1) at 10 MPH or more below the posted speed limit or (2) at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. Tran. '21-301(b)

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,418,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
There is a law against impeding traffic in which the woman was accused of. The woman's excuse was she did not feel safe traveling with high wind gust. There is no reason for her to be in the left lane to begin with. She was 15 miles away from the nearest interchange that required a left exit.

I. A person shall not operate willfully operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. Tran. '21-804(a)
II. A person, who is driving a vehicle either (1) at 10 MPH or more below the posted speed limit or (2) at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. Tran. '21-301(b)
If she has an SUV, then she might have a case. Otherwise, I don't know if it will stick. To me, going below the posted speed limit, especially on the left lane would mean under the influence of something in which I would report to the police ASAP.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,490,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It will be thrown out, or the cop just won't appear. The State can't defend giving the ticket for only 2 MPH below the legal limit.
the ticket was not for going 2 mph below the speed limit, it was for failure to move right. And I hope it does stick.

If she felt unsafe and wanted to drive slower, there were two other lanes she should have been in.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Wish the cops were doing this more regularly, not just on gusty days. My feeling is she must have really backed up traffic to make an Maryland trooper go out of his way ticket her. I've never heard of this happening before in MD.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM

671 posts, read 1,252,833 times
All I see here regulation wise is that you cannot drive slower than the speed of traffic if you are on the left lane. So if everyone is breaking the law by going 15-20 over the speed limit, then you need to either follow suit and risk getting a speeding ticket or change lane to the right so those willing to break the limit can go on the left? This is as stupid as people changing lanes without using advance blinkers or when people break the law by tailgating people they feel aren't going fast enough or... well you get the point. I hope she goes to court and then sues for time wasted on a frivolous court case.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
All I see here regulation wise is that you cannot drive slower than the speed of traffic if you are on the left lane. So if everyone is breaking the law by going 15-20 over the speed limit, then you need to either follow suit and risk getting a speeding ticket or change lane to the right so those willing to break the limit can go on the left? This is as stupid as people changing lanes without using advance blinkers or when people break the law by tailgating people they feel aren't going fast enough or... well you get the point. I hope she goes to court and then sues for time wasted on a frivolous court case.
I believe the 'impeding of traffic flow' still stands regulation-wise - Look at the reference given by Phyxius. Highways speed limit setting takes into consideration a percentage of traffic that will will exceed the limit, among other things. The difference between breaking a speed limit and not using blinkers or squatting in the left lane is that you don't inconvenience other drivers if you drive over the speed limit. The guildlines I have come across from law enforcement so far are to give way to faster traffic first, regardless of their speed. There is little merit in a driver trying to force the limit on others.

Last edited by Calvin C; 03-13-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM

12,555 posts, read 18,936,550 times
The ticket was dismissed. Officer cited wrong law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland