Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 13,357 times

Advertisements

Interesting OPINION from somebody who didn't graduate.

1) Intro to Library. This gets you acclimated to working with the UMUC online library/research system. I think its a critical course to take so you know how to properly research and find documents - it isn't as simple as "Google".

2) Are we talking MBA? As in Master of Business Administration? Capstone Presentation? What is so difficult about that? It was straightforward. You afraid of work?

3) Everything is not online if you don't want to do it totally online. My colleague did the hybrid course, I did the fully online. After talking with her, I felt it was unnecessary to drive back-and-forth to a brick and mortar classroom and waste two hours driving. You again are stating an opinion based on what, I do not know.

4) You don't know how Turnitin works. If you cite it properly, the program picks it up and notes that it is cited and you don't get 'dinged'. Its only 'difficult' if you are plagiarizing.

5) Your comment on #5 below makes sense after reading #4. Don't cheat and you won't get kicked out of school. I'm guessing after 2 semesters you didn't withdraw but were kicked out of school. You seem to know the dismissal for academic reasons all too well.

I can see why you're angry and being disrespectful of UMUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
UMUC is the WORST ever.... I dont care for the school and their policies...

Things I dont like about UMUC:

1. You have to take an "Intro to Library Skills Research Class"... I have an MPA, why do I need to take a class on how to do research??? More $$$ and they informed me that I couldnt transfer credits... No Sh*t dummy, my degree has been conferred from another university so it wouldn't be transferred

2. Everything is a Management Degree.. Their Criminal Justice involves business, and management classes. Oh and the fact I have to do a Capstone Presentation. Get out of here with that.

3. Everything is online, even the hybrids, nothing is straight classroom... Some people don't want to do a class online, they prefer an actual classroom.

4. Everything has to involve Turnitin.... Professors make you use it and if you have something cited, it shows, and the professors will make you resubmit it if it is over 10%. Its kind of hard to do a research paper and your paper needs to be under 10% for "cited works" that is why it is called a RESEARCH paper.

5. I read their Academic Dismissal policy. In the event that you are dimissed for academic reasons, you can not reapply to their school for 7 years. Most universities are 1 year after dismissal....

After 2 semesters I actually said forget it and withdrew from the school. The school is nothing more than glorified Community College on a Graduate Level. Honestly its, overrated. I had a better experience learning wise, and challenging wise in my MPA program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:16 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramo View Post
Interesting OPINION from somebody who didn't graduate.

1) Intro to Library. This gets you acclimated to working with the UMUC online library/research system. I think its a critical course to take so you know how to properly research and find documents - it isn't as simple as "Google".

2) Are we talking MBA? As in Master of Business Administration? Capstone Presentation? What is so difficult about that? It was straightforward. You afraid of work?

3) Everything is not online if you don't want to do it totally online. My colleague did the hybrid course, I did the fully online. After talking with her, I felt it was unnecessary to drive back-and-forth to a brick and mortar classroom and waste two hours driving. You again are stating an opinion based on what, I do not know.

4) You don't know how Turnitin works. If you cite it properly, the program picks it up and notes that it is cited and you don't get 'dinged'. Its only 'difficult' if you are plagiarizing.

5) Your comment on #5 below makes sense after reading #4. Don't cheat and you won't get kicked out of school. I'm guessing after 2 semesters you didn't withdraw but were kicked out of school. You seem to know the dismissal for academic reasons all too well.

I can see why you're angry and being disrespectful of UMUC.
LOL the fact that you brought up a thread from 2013 really shows youre nothing but a troll. But I'll entertain you.

You failed to realize that I have a Masters Degree. I know how to do research as I did my thesis.

You also failed to READ that I was doing the Criminal Justice Mgmt Degree. You have to do a Capstone for ALL programs, my Aunt did the Healthcare Admin program and even that included a Capstone.

I know how Turnitin works, It dinged you on EVERYTHING.

You're comment on number 5 was hilarious, nobody was kicked out. Graduate programs from other universities state that if you are on AP, you have a semester to bring grades up, if you are dismissed, you can reapply in 1 year. 7 years is extreme, when you have 7 years to complete the program at other universities.

The only reason I researched it is things happen in peoples lives. If you must withdraw, you need to know what the time frame is.

Your 2 posts in the CD Forum show that you are just trolling.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:02 AM

478 posts, read 809,071 times
The value of any degree depends on two primary factors:

1) your current background?
2) your goals (what do you hope the degree provides for you)?

Only with an honest assessment of those can you decide if a degree will offer you good value. Some people want a degree for the sake of pure learning, others are using it as a rubber-stamp required for promotion within their current employer, others are trying to change employers, careers, etc.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,357 times
UMUC is perfectly fine if you just need the degree. I am a vice president in my organization and it was tied to my having an MBA. I haven't had anybody question my UMUC MBA. I have heard people say not so great things about the for profit schools like Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland