Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

I like their programs on paper. However, it seems they are not selective at all and not the same quality as UMD at college park. Will it give you the same kind of education UMD at college park will give, or is it an inferior school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
It's not prestigious because they basically let everyone in, like a community college. Doesn't mean you'll get low quality education in your basic standards, there's not much of a difference between a community college and Harvard when you're in the introductory level. Almost all colleges are basically the same except for the prestige attached to them because of how they vary in difficulty getting in in the first place.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
I researched taking on-line classes at UMUC and decided against it. It seems that they offer nearly every obscure degree possible (mostly by switching around a few classes and calling it something different) and admit everyone. I got the impression it was a good choice for individuals that need a Masters in their field to move up the job ladder where they are currently employed, but not so good for a person hoping to make a splash on the open market.

Just my $0.02.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I got the same thing.

I am looking at online classes, and I like the prices and how easy it is to get a degree plus MBA. However, it seems to inclusive.

Id rather go through a real university.

If it were an online version of UMD classes I would be all for it, but it seems to be a separate institution.

Pity, other schools often offer the exact same degrees as you would inclass, but online.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yeah, I got the same thing.

I am looking at online classes, and I like the prices and how easy it is to get a degree plus MBA. However, it seems to inclusive.

Id rather go through a real university.

If it were an online version of UMD classes I would be all for it, but it seems to be a separate institution.

Pity, other schools often offer the exact same degrees as you would inclass, but online.
Yeah, I think it best to go through a university with a physical presence if you want the degree to stand out in an applicant pool. I have nothing against the solely on-line schools, but I feel they are best for either very standardized degrees, like some tech qualifications, or if you are already in a job and you are in a position where you can get a raise or promotion by reaching the next degree step.

On-line classes are strange. Ever taken any? I would say the world load isn't less than an in-person class, but many professors make up for the loss of lecture time by assigning more "busy work" type assignment to make sure the students are keeping up. I miss the interaction with the other students. In a good class setting, you learn as much from the ideas bouncing around between self, professor, and other students, as you do from the texts.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, I think it best to go through a university with a physical presence if you want the degree to stand out in an applicant pool. I have nothing against the solely on-line schools, but I feel they are best for either very standardized degrees, like some tech qualifications, or if you are already in a job and you are in a position where you can get a raise or promotion by reaching the next degree step.

On-line classes are strange. Ever taken any? I would say the world load isn't less than an in-person class, but many professors make up for the loss of lecture time by assigning more "busy work" type assignment to make sure the students are keeping up. I miss the interaction with the other students. In a good class setting, you learn as much from the ideas bouncing around between self, professor, and other students, as you do from the texts.
I took online classes, but it was identical to the inperson class.

Same assignments, same workload, material, etc.

For some of the classes they would record lectures and show powerpoint slides, from the in person class. You could listen to it at your leisure. I have all the lecture as podcast so I could even revisit them. The were also modules based on what was taught with the whole lecture included, and summarized. For the class we were graded on having discussion on a forum, using blackboard, covering the topic. We had to give input and give feedback to other students. Participation might have been higher from a normal class due to this. The big and small projects, along with presentations were the same. The professor was available via chat, phone, and email for questions. I would communicate with group members by email or phone. Honestly I kinda preferred since I tend to zone out in class anyways, ADHD issues. It was basically the same class, but it was 100% on you to keep up and do the work.

However, this was based on brick and mortar classes, just an online version of them. Most of the programs I am looking at is the same as actually going to the university, just online. UMUC is obviously different since it is all online, which is why I am weary.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
UMUC has a long tradition of offering courses on Military bases around the world. This has morphed into also offering online courses. I believe the history and tradition of offering courses to more mature students has been the basis for 'looser' entrance requirements. From taking courses from other schools on military bases I believe that there is less need for tough entrance requirements. The people taking these courses are taking them because they want the education not because it is expected of them after high school or as a way to get away from home and have an independent life

Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,272 times
You would do fine with a UMUC degree in the open market. Especially in MD. I know several people with both Bachelor's and Master's from UMUC, and all of them have good jobs and have not had much trouble job hunting. They all have good things to say about UMUC.

The University of Maryland System has a good reputation in the state and UMUC is just another branch. It is respected by employers.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post

The University of Maryland System has a good reputation in the state and UMUC is just another branch. It is respected by employers.
Not to disagree at all, but since some readers of this forum are interested in Maryland history I will add my two-cents worth:

When I was a kid (yes, dinosaurs still roamed the earth) growing up in Baltimore, my peers had complete contempt for the University of Maryland at College Park, due in part to the antics of Curley Byrd. He was the only head football coach ever to rise to the level of a president of a major university. He lied, cheated, and stole routinely, or so people said, to promote UMd football at the major expense of academics. Consequently, you went to Maryland only if you were too dumb to be admitted anywhere else.

This was nonsense, of course, and the reality today is that Maryland at College Park is an academic powerhouse, with many first-rate programs (and good lacrosse ).

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM

361 posts, read 748,323 times
The UMUC and it's forerunner name (UM Extension?) have been education hundreds of thousands of military for over 60 years. I had friends who completed their BA or AB while at bases throughout the world.

Overall, I think their quality is pretty high, but cannot say from personal experience.

All I am saying is that they have been around for a very long time. Find the comments on here interesting as until now I had never heard a bad thing about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland