Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Marylander, would you support Ben Carson for a GOP Presidential Bid in 2016?
Yes 16 38.10%
No 21 50.00%
I don't know who Ben Carson is 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Absolutely right! I have no illusions about this. As I said, Dems really didn't have to take a position on this in the '08 election. By giving half answers and feel-good quotes, they put themselves in great position to take the national position as it shifted.

Some GOP members have as well (but not til after the '12 election), as we've seen in recent months ("coming out" in support of gay marriage). My point is that the days in which a candidate can equate homosexuals to child molestors and animal rapists is wayyyy over. He didn't really leave himself a ledge from which he can evolve, as opportunist dems did.

By the way, all us pro gay types were damn sure back in '08 that he'd get there. Let's go back to '08 for a moment. If a gay rights supporter is trying to pick a candidate, and it's between a guy who says a whole bunch of nice things about gays and is generally supports their rights, and McCain/that ingnorant person from Alaska (she worse than he) - who would the supporter choose?

Now let's look at '16. Let's say it's ANY Dem (they all will support gay marriage by '16) vs. Carson. We have 100% support vs. 100% opposition. With the national opinion what it is (and growing stronger in support of gay marriage, btw), how would Carson stand a chance?

Gay rights is no longer a tertiary issue. A candidate can no longer say, "hey don't worry about that, just listen to my economic plan." The GOP will have to find a moderate who has some grasp of the nation's will and who has similarly "evolved" if it wants ANY chance of victory in '16. Huntsman comes to mind.

Politics is a game of opportunists, and while there may be some who find the fact that Ben Carson has indicated he will never evolve on gay marriage admirable and "honest," there are a greater number of people who will find his position reprehensible, old-fashioned, and vile.
Good post. I agree that Carson's comments were not wise if he wishes to seek office. It is the kind of sound-bite that dooms campaigns.

I think you may be overestimating the long term appeal of gay rights issues though. I feel VERY strongly about abortion, it is a matter of life and death, not just rights, but this isn't a litmus test issue when I pick candidates to support, everyone has their position, nothing under the law really changes, except on the margin. Stalemate has been reached.

The same will happen in the next few years with gay marriage, either the courts will settle the matter and make it unversal, or bow out making it a state issue. Either way, it will be hard for politicians to make much hay over it after that on a national level.

Guns are going to be a big issue in 2014, probably much more so than gay marriage, it simply affects more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Good post. I agree that Carson's comments were not wise if he wishes to seek office. It is the kind of sound-bite that dooms campaigns.

I think you may be overestimating the long term appeal of gay rights issues though. I feel VERY strongly about abortion, it is a matter of life and death, not just rights, but this isn't a litmus test issue when I pick candidates to support, everyone has their position, nothing under the law really changes, except on the margin. Stalemate has been reached.

The same will happen in the next few years with gay marriage, either the courts will settle the matter and make it unversal, or bow out making it a state issue. Either way, it will be hard for politicians to make much hay over it after that on a national level.

Guns are going to be a big issue in 2014, probably much more so than gay marriage, it simply affects more people.
We shall see. I think gay rights will remain an issue if married gay couples are still not allowed federal benefits (taxes, social security survivor's benefits, etc) in 2016. A lot of gay marrieds I know are reaching retirement age. They seem to think that everything is going to be ironed out this summer ... but I have my doubts.

Maybe a GOP could get away with tepid non-interest in the issue ... but outright opposition? Forget it.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
We shall see. I think gay rights will remain an issue if married gay couples are still not allowed federal benefits (taxes, social security survivor's benefits, etc) in 2016. A lot of gay marrieds I know are reaching retirement age. They seem to think that everything is going to be ironed out this summer ... but I have my doubts.

Maybe a GOP could get away with tepid non-interest in the issue ... but outright opposition? Forget it.
I agree with the point that westsideboy was making, if that situation is settled this summer, then why would their stance on the issue really matter anymore? Quite honestly it maybe long decided. Usually the issues that become important are the unsettled ones like immigration, gay marriage and gun control. Of course if gay couples don't receive what they are looking for I can see the argument, but honestly at worse, the only thing the Supreme Court can say for gays is it's up to the states to decide so it's not like they will have much to gain from who ever is elected as President.

But with that said, I think you are over valuing the opinions of the media (which is mostly bias on this issue). It's really difficult to say how much we as a nation support or don't support gay marriage. For every place like Maryland and Maine, there is a place like North Carolina and California. I don't think we are going to ever know how much we as a nation truly stand on the issue because there are too many bias entities involved.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I agree with the point that westsideboy was making, if that situation is settled this summer, then why would their stance on the issue really matter anymore?.
Well, as WSB said, that soundbite will stick with Carson, even if the federal law had been changed. Soundbites like that sink candidates. And don't be so sure about everything will be fixed.

Quote:
honestly at worse, the only thing the Supreme Court can say for gays is it's up to the states to decide so it's not like they will have much to gain from who ever is elected as President..
Um, gays have gained more under this president than they ever have. What reason would a gay person have to ignore comments such as Carson's and pull the lever anyway? And it's NO SMALL THING that gays still wouldn't be able to get federal benefits afforded to ALL OTHER married couples. A grave injustice waged by the self-righteous. This isn't an "at worse" situation. "At worse" slavery would have been decided by the states. "At worst" seperate but equal would have been decided by the states. "At worst" voting rights would have been decided by the states. Nah ... that argument is bunk. In a few years you will see that you're on the losing side. Or maybe you won't, I dunno.

Quote:
But with that said, I think you are over valuing the opinions of the media (which is mostly bias on this issue).
Don't insult my intelligence.

Quote:
It's really difficult to say how much we as a nation support or don't support gay marriage. For every place like Maryland and Maine, there is a place like North Carolina and California. I don't think we are going to ever know how much we as a nation truly stand on the issue because there are too many bias entities involved.
National polling doesn't do it for you? If you want to dismiss all the results as "bias"... then that's yours, and your party's, prerogative. But it's the GOP that will lose by ignoring facts (not like they aren't quite experieneced in that).

It matters not to me ... those who share your opinion are finally being drowned out by some sense.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Well, as WSB said, that soundbite will stick with Carson, even if the federal law had been changed. Soundbites like that sink candidates. And don't be so sure about everything will be fixed.
Sure it will, but it would depend on how strong a candidate he is and who he's running against, if it would actually affect him. I think it's safe to assume that yes it would probably hurt him, but how much it would is relatively unknown.

Quote:
Um, gays have gained more under this president than they ever have. What reason would a gay person have to ignore comments such as Carson's and pull the lever anyway? And it's NO SMALL THING that gays still wouldn't be able to get federal benefits afforded to ALL OTHER married couples. A grave injustice waged by the self-righteous. This isn't an "at worse" situation. "At worse" slavery would have been decided by the states. "At worst" seperate but equal would have been decided by the states. "At worst" voting rights would have been decided by the states. Nah ... that argument is bunk. In a few years you will see that you're on the losing side. Or maybe you won't, I dunno.
Never said, they have to ignore it. You are rolling off the assumption that gays have a majority influence on this nation. You are basing this off some polls? They never asked me, so how can someone else represent my opinion or anyone else's?? All I am saying is it's unknown how much influence gay rights will actually play especially if matters are mostly settled already.

Quote:
National polling doesn't do it for you? If you want to dismiss all the results as "bias"... then that's yours, and your party's, prerogative. But it's the GOP that will lose by ignoring facts (not like they aren't quite experieneced in that).

It matters not to me ... those who share your opinion are finally being drowned out by some sense.
No because it's not scientific. Polls are just a way to manipulate numbers. You are not going to get accurate numbers from polling places because the assumption is made that every person getting polled represents every sector of voters in this country. That just isn't realistic. There are people with all types of beliefs that are either from from their religion, their experiences, or their upbringing. You won't find two people who think exactly alike, much less 1000 or may even a million. If you want accurate results you get a census, otherwise, it's just misleading information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland