Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM

581 posts, read 968,994 times

Advertisements

Marylanders with southern culture aren't just rednecks... and they're not just the product of southern influence. They're part of the continuation of the Tidewater/Chesapeake culture that was largely the cultural and linguistic birthplace of the "Old South". I wouldn't call myself a redneck; many Southern Marylanders, such as myself, have family going back hundreds of years here don't act like that stereotype. Others do act "redneck", and I see no problem with that. I've waterman and tobacco farmer in my blood, and the Chesapeake and it's culture in my heart.

Not directed at you rgaishadah as you haven't said this, but half the time I see the typical "Redneck/Rural and Southern aren't the same thing" argument the poster then goes on to argue later something along the lines of "Maryland is mostly urban, Southern states are more rural, therefore MD's not Southern". I do agree that the state is not mostly southern, but these arguments seem to me right contradictory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:24 AM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
The way I have always understood it is that "redneck" is a conscious choice of belonging that transcends regionalism. Meaning, you can have a guy or gal that loves NASCAR, owns a big truck, likes to fish, listens to country music, and calls himself a "redneck" that may live in the South, the Midwest, the rural North, the suburbs, or even in the city. In short, it is a badge one chooses to wear.

Terms like "Southerners" or "Appalachian folk/hillbilly" is more about regional identity, these people are more likely to be members of redneck culture, but don't have to be.

I feel like Tez. I am not a redneck......I own a Suburu and have an Animal Collective CD in the player right now......yet I am 100% hillbilly because of my roots, location, and self identity. Later today I am going to take the family to our favorite little hidden spot in the woods on hot days, splash in some cool mountain water, look for some fossils and neat plants. Culture is a crazy thing, I get why it is hard for many to understand.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Southerners think we are Northerners, Northerners think we are Southerners. I consider myself a Mid Atlantic girl.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've never heard anyone in the South call anyone else a "Yankee." But that's just my experience.
I can easily assure you, it happens. A lot. In fact, they have 3 distinct classifications of Yankees.

1: Yankee. This is a person from the North that is just passing through.
2: Damn Yankee. This is a person from the North that moved to the South permanently.
3: G*d Damn Yankee. This is a person from the North that moved to the South permanently, and he brought his family.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I can easily assure you, it happens. A lot. In fact, they have 3 distinct classifications of Yankees.

1: Yankee. This is a person from the North that is just passing through.
2: Damn Yankee. This is a person from the North that moved to the South permanently.
3: G*d Damn Yankee. This is a person from the North that moved to the South permanently, and he brought his family.
Do Black people go around calling people "Damn Yankees!" too? Or do they rejoice at the site of their liberators and launch into Negro spirituals?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Southerners think we are Northerners, Northerners think we are Southerners.
I consider myself a Mid Atlantic girl.
this sort of post warrants a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Maryland is a southern state, and these rednecks won't let you forget that!!-0715685a267d5c23b5c47518d2a3b748.jpg  

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
I've been called a Yankee quite a few times by people (relatives, coworkers) from other parts of the south.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I've been called a Yankee quite a few times by people (relatives, coworkers)
from other parts of the south.
You ARE a Yankee.

Down here I'm a Dam-ned Yankee (having moved in)

Old 09-11-2014, 06:39 PM

581 posts, read 968,994 times
I've jokingly called people a Yankee, but never been called one myself.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do Black people go around calling people "Damn Yankees!" too? Or do they rejoice at the site of their liberators and launch into Negro spirituals?
They also have a special kind of hatred for people from New York (I'm not kidding) and now I'm starting to understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland