Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 22,082 times

Advertisements

We (my husband, 16 month old and baby on the way) are relocating to Maryland from NYC to be closer to family and hopefully find a more affordable way of living. We would like to be between Baltimore and DC (probably closer to Baltimore). I travel for work and would prefer to not be too far to an airport/highways. Does anyone have any neighborhood suggestions that won't throw us into total culture shock? I have lived in NY my whole life and right now we can walk to just about anything and are surrounded by fabulous restaurants with every imaginable type of cuisine. I know we are going to have to become car people, but some of the areas we have looked you have to drive miles just to get to a chain restaurant or store. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,715 times
Please list the areas you have visit so we will not mention those areas to you.
the areas I am thinking of is Laurel,Crofton,Bowie. These areas are in the middle of Baltimore and DC and have walking distant from shopping but it depends on where in the area you choose to live. I would also look into Washington Dc NW. If you do live in Dc you will be walking distant awayy from shopping,night life,family outings,restaurants.
Also what is your price range.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:53 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I think Annapolis would actually be a good fit for you. It has a large, functional, walkable downtown with independent stores, bars and restaurants and is a good hangout spot; albeit one with a few rough spots. The homes in the actual city can be quite pricey, but not by New York standards. Annapolis is a the state capital but is a relatively small city with a population of 40,000, but it's probably the closest to replicating some of the New York life in between Baltimore and DC. It is approximately 40 minutes to Baltimore, 45 minutes to DC (these are non-rush hour times), 30 minutes to BWI Airport, located right off of Route 50 and around 30 minutes from I-95.

As a note, if I'm reading your post correctly, you don't have a specific city you have to commute to each day. If you were to be commuting to DC or Baltimore every day, I probably wouldn't recommend Annapolis as the commutes during rush hour can be quite treacherous (moreso for DC than Baltimore), but I do feel Annapolis has the closest vibe to what you're looking so you may want to just sort of put a bullseye on it and then fan out from there to a more tolerable commuting distance if you will in fact be commuting far in.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
I'm sorry but you are in for a shock. NY is NY. There are few places like it in the world and I think even if you lived in another city core of DC or Baltimore you would still find things lacking. There is just no way around that.

What is it about a city that you want? Is it just restaurants, or is it convenience (i.e. living in walking distance to a drug store, grocery, doctor, bookstore, etc)? Annapolis is beautiful and has a 'downtown' which offers some walkable functions, and there are neighborhoods in DC and Baltimore as well, but the transition is going to be pretty huge, even in any of those choices.

In DC, areas like Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle would offer some urban feel. Fells Point in Baltimore is pretty hot now (I don't know all of Baltimore that well though). Bethesda and Clarendon are suburban areas of DC with some vibe.

What city in Maryland are you trying to be near for family reasons?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 AM

7 posts, read 43,240 times
I grew up in Annapolis, lived in Boston for a while and have visited NY many many times, so I'm farmiliar with the city life but obviously more farmiliar with Annapolis and MD. Annapolis has that same kind of "city" (I guess) feel, but on a much much smaller scale compared to NY. It's about 20-30 minutes from the BWI airport depending on traffic and how fast you drive...fairly close to both airports in DC (dulles and Regan). Living in the downtown area of Annapolis has that same kind of city charm is clean and safe, but pricey. Although it's probably not compared to NY. It's best asset would have to be the waterfront location and has adopted the "sailing capital of the country" by most locals, so if you're into that it's a plus...Many nice water front neighborhoods in the more suburban areas of Annapolis, anywhere from 5-15 minutes from downtown. Eastport could be a good location within Annapolis, downtown feel, waterfront location, great for young families. Also Bay Ridge, Arundel on the Bay, great waterfront communities, very family oriented. 10 minutes from downtown, close enough to enjoy both Baltimore and DC.

If you want something a little larger in scale and more "city," I'd have to agree with the above mentioned post, Bethesda, Georgetown, Dupont, etc.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,975 times
Depending what's yr budget?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 22,082 times
Thank you for all of the suggestions. We have been looking at the Annapolis area and think it might be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland