U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 17,854 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to this forum and have been actively searching for information on the death of Catherine Mae Machi (Lee?), who died in August of 1998 by a DUI/vehicular homicide in Dundalk, Maryland. This accident orphaned two children. Their father died the year before from a heart attack. Two aunts obtained custody of the children. The aunts' names are Mary (Teresa) Machi Helmick and Antoinette Machi Sheeder. They have both since moved to PA, providing the two children (now adults) with limited information on their parents. No obituaries or death notices on either parent can be found. The father's name was Bobby (not Robert) Bell, from North Carolina. I have already spoken to the Baltimore Sun and have canvassed numerous newspapers and other sites. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. The children of Catherine Machi are looking to fill in many gaps in their heritage. Thank you so much!!

Lyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM

11,091 posts, read 18,644,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysovsumr View Post
No obituaries or death notices on either parent can be found. The father's name was Bobby (not Robert) Bell, from North Carolina.
Would you mind sharing the racial and ethnic background of the children? Also the approximate ages of the parents. Was Bobby Bell in the military at all? It might help a genealogist locate them. For example, Bobby Bell would probably have a North Carolina birth certificate on Ancestry.com. It would help to know whether he was white or black or even Native American (Lumbee), and maybe what part of the state he came from. There are Bobby Bell's in all racial categories in the North Carolina birth indexes.

The Machi family name appears to be Italian. Is that correct? Send me a DM if you prefer to keep the discussion private.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-01-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Absolutely! The Machi family is Italian. Thank you! Bobby Bell was 1/2 native American and 1/2 Black. Not sure of military service. Children are native American/Black and Italian. Not sure of what part of state. He worked as a bartender - I believe in Maryland. Again, the aunts aren't real forthcoming with information; either they don't know or can't remember. Mr. Bell has/had two sisters in NC. He died of a heart attack sometime in 1997. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by boysovsumr; 04-01-2013 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! The Machi family is Italian. Thank you! Bobby Bell was 1/2 native American and 1/2 Black. Not sure of military service. Children are native American/Black and Italian. Not sure of what part of state. He worked as a bartender - I believe in Maryland.
That's helpful, as the Native Americans in NC cluster in Robeson County, Scotland County and Lumberton. I suspect he worked off the books as a bartender, as I cannot find a Social Security death record for someone named Bobby Bell in 1997.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Thank you! I did send a DM, but can only send one DM/daily. I cannot find death records or obituaries. Seems odd that a vehicular homicide cannot be found in a newspaper archive. Catherine married a Jack Lee. He is still alive.

Last edited by boysovsumr; 04-01-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Thank you for your DM's, goldenage1! Other names that have some relevance to the Machi's are: Rosco Hammonds and Barbara Drake(Machi) Orsag.

I cannot post additional DM's today, so I will be brief here.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM

10,159 posts, read 13,864,370 times
What is your goal beyond finding out about the auto accident? There is a Catherine Machi who died in Ca. back in 1980. That might be her Mother or Grandmother?

If someone does not die in a hospital, in most cases the coroner must go to the house or the scene of the accident. You might try the coroner's office in the county in which the accident happened and ask them to give you the date of the accident. The date can be used to try to locate a newspaper article.
I know a very nice person who was told there was no printed obituary, and there was.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 AM

I am trying to find out information on the accident for the children of Catherine Machi and Bobby Bell. I'm not sure if the CA Catherine Machi is a relative, it is my understanding that the whole family is from Baltimore.

I have contacted the Baltimore Sun directly as well as searched every paper's archives from Maryland. Cannot find article on accident, nor obituary for either parent. Catherine's death was 8/17/1998. I have found information on SSDI records confirming her date of birth, date of death and social security number. I have found information on the guardianship of her daughter, but nothing on her son. Catherine's grave is just her name, birthdate and date of death. Bobby Bell was cremated. Thank you for your interest.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM

10,159 posts, read 13,864,370 times
Quote:
I am trying to find out information on the accident for the children of Catherine Machi and Bobby Bell. Catherine's death was 8/17/1998. I have found information on SSDI records confirming her date of birth, date of death and social security number. I have found information on the guardianship of her daughter, but nothing on her son. Catherine's grave is just her name, birthdate and date of death. Bobby Bell was cremated. Thank you for your interest.
I just looked on the s.s. death index and I only find one Catherine Machi and she was the one that died in 1980. Where are you seeing the Catherine you are asking about on the s.s. death index?

You are helping her two children who are now adults.
What information do you want about the "guardianship" of her son?

Not everyone has an obituary since they cost money. Some people die and their relatives can not be quickly located and the coroner can cremate the body if not claimed within X numbers of days or weeks, and the laws may be different in each state.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I just looked on the s.s. death index and I only find one Catherine Machi and she was the one that died in 1980. Where are you seeing the Catherine you are asking about on the s.s. death index?
I found an SSDI entry for Catherine M Lee (her married name) with the August 1988 death date.

Your information about the lack of obituary is helpful.

Bobby Bell is still a mystery. I did not find an SSDI entry, so perhaps he did not have reportable income, or that wasn't his real name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland