U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,232,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've been torn about using EZ pass and (toll lanes) because of the cost. Just haven't decided it's worth it to me.

Most of my interstate travel is during overnight hours so toll backups aren't an issue. PLUS even during other hours the more people who pay use EZ PASS and paid toll lanes -- the FEWER people are in my lane or toll booth...so I get the benefit of faster travel and less congestion -- and have THEM pay for it. That works for me.
Indeed, everybody ought to do their own cost-benefit analysis. I figure the toll I will use most often is the Bay Bridge on the way to the beach... no way around that one. I may use the ICC once in a blue moon but it's not necessary. Going into Baltimore is usually fastest via the Interstates, so once again the E-Z Pass comes in handy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM

558 posts, read 1,137,054 times
I have the Peace Bridge NY EZ Pass. I switched when MD began charging for it.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
I've been using the ICC about once a month. I may just go ahead and get an EZ Pass from MA. Thanks for the PSA!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,740,442 times
Delaware charges only $15 for the transponder. No monthly fees.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Quote:
f you don't use Maryland tolls very often and you want an E-Z Pass, get one from the Massachusetts website. When they ask you what state you'll be using it most often in, just select Massachusetts. You can change your address on the next page.
A couple of questions, though.....
Let's say you do live in MD, but want to buy the EZPass in Mass...

IF you say the state in which you'll use it most IS Maryland, what might be the consequences of that? Why lie and say MASS when you know it's not. Will they not give it to you if you say another state? My understanding is that IF you get your EZ pass from a state that's not YOUR state, you won't get the toll discounts for your state, because your EXPass is sort of "programmed" for MASS and so won't register the discounts for MD.

But if you don't travel much, it's still worth doing that I think. You'll have to do the math. Do you travel enough that the DISCOUNT ON THE TOLLS in MD (which is only 10%) more than makes up for the INITIAL and 1.50 MONTHLY cost of the MD EZPass If not-- you're better off getting the EXPass from MASS and NOT getting some piddly discount on tolls you hardly ever pay anyway.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Yeah, you don't get the discounts. Again, everybody's cost-benefit analysis will be different. I don't use tolls nearly enough to justify the $1.50/mo charge.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM

My main question though is IF you say the state in which you'll use it most IS Maryland, what might be the consequences of that? Why lie and say MASS when you know it's not. If you live in MD you are lying if you say MASS is the state you'll use it in most often -- so again I ask: Will they not give it to you if you say another state or are just honest about the state you'll really be using in it most often (whichever other state that is?)

This question just doesn't pertain to Marylanders. It highly doubt a Virginian or Delawarean, or New Yorker or Pennsylvanian for that matter is really going to use the MASS EZPass most often in Mass.

I'm not saying don't get it from MASS -- I'm just asking can you be honest about the state you'll most likely use it in? -- and still get it.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:56 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
My main question though is IF you say the state in which you'll use it most IS Maryland, what might be the consequences of that? Why lie and say MASS when you know it's not. If you live in MD you are lying if you say MASS is the state you'll use it in most often -- so again I ask: Will they not give it to you if you say another state or are just honest about the state you'll really be using in it most often (whichever other state that is?)

This question just doesn't pertain to Marylanders. It highly doubt a Virginian or Delawarean, or New Yorker or Pennsylvanian for that matter is really going to use the MASS EZPass most often in Mass.

I'm not saying don't get it from MASS -- I'm just asking can you be honest about the state you'll most likely use it in? -- and still get it.
I don't think they care. I got my EZPass from Delaware and they mailed the transponder to me in Maryland where I use it 90% of the time (I live 1 mile from the ICC). I use it in PA, NJ and NY as well but not in DE.

Just call them.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Hurricane, you're the one who said
Quote:
So yeah, if you don't use Maryland tolls very often and you want an E-Z Pass, get one from the Massachusetts website. When they ask you what state you'll be using it most often in, just select Massachusetts. You can change your address on the next page.
You knew you were addressing people in MD. Why tell us to lie if there's no reason? Is there a reason to lie about it or not?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hurricane, you're the one who said

You knew you were addressing people in MD. Why tell us to lie if there's no reason? Is there a reason to lie about it or not?
The reason to lie is that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation does NOT charge a monthly maintenance fee, while the Maryland DOT does.

The Mass. DOT does NOT care that you live outside of Massachusetts. In fact, I just got my transponder in the mail today from Massachusetts. The receipt shows that I live in Maryland, the mailing address said Maryland, and still they did not care.

It is not illegal nor will they shut down your account for using it outside of MA. As for why you have to lie in that specific instance, it's because if you select "Maryland" it will redirect you to the MD DOT website instead of the MA one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or