U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 12,843 times

Advertisements

My husband is relocating to Cumberland MD for work. We are from Cleveland OH. I realize that we are not going to find the big city living that we are used to right in and around that area. What I would like to know is what area we should start looking at that would not be a ridiculous commute for him. I don't know what the winters are like there and how much snow to anticipate to add to the long drive.
We have school age children that currently attend private school what are the private schools like in the area. Should I be looking in MD, WV or PA?

We are looking for a rental because I do not want to jump in to a mortgage in area I am completely unfamiliar with. What is average for rent in these areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Average rent is cheap. You can get a good place for a family for about 800-1000k. You can spent more and live very well.

I see no reason to commute. If you work in Cumberland, live close by. If you like city life, Cumberland should work well for you, LaVale is more suburban, but still only a 10 minute drive to Cumberland. If you want to live in the woods, that is only 5-10 minutes away too. So the world is really your oyster if you have a job. Let me know if you any questions.

Private school - Bishop Walsh - Catholic, Calvary Christian - Baptist. I went to BW and send my kids there. It is a great little school.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM

10,711 posts, read 19,040,812 times
I hate to disagree w/you westside boy but city life and Cumberland can't be in the same sentence. I do like to go on a day trip to Cumberland but it's not for me/us living-wise - there's not much there in the way of: shopping, dining, entertainment.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM

I've only taken a one day trip there so far and I met a few people who gave me some ideas about what areas to move, LaVale was what most people said. All the people I spoke to raved about Bishop Walsh. The local school district had mixed reviews. I've never made a big move like this... I'm spoiled here in the Cleveland area because we are 20-25 minutes from a zoo, countless museums, theaters, sporting events (even though we don't have any winning teams) I do most of my shopping here at BJ's wholesale, Aldi and Target those are all 5-10 minutes from me. I know that we're going to have to do a little adjusting when we get there....

Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I hate to disagree w/you westside boy but city life and Cumberland can't be in the same sentence. I do like to go on a day trip to Cumberland but it's not for me/us living-wise - there's not much there in the way of: shopping, dining, entertainment.
Cumberland has a city life. There, I just said it.

We have theatre productions, several private groups and through colleges and highschools. We have a live music scene with bands playing somewhere in town nearly every night. We have "clubs" we have bars, we have art gallaries, we have street festivals, in summer one every week.

There is a ton of stuff to do here, but you do need to know where to look, and you do need to get over the idea that you will find as many options as places 30X our size.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommmamare View Post
I've only taken a one day trip there so far and I met a few people who gave me some ideas about what areas to move, LaVale was what most people said. All the people I spoke to raved about Bishop Walsh. The local school district had mixed reviews. I've never made a big move like this... I'm spoiled here in the Cleveland area because we are 20-25 minutes from a zoo, countless museums, theaters, sporting events (even though we don't have any winning teams) I do most of my shopping here at BJ's wholesale, Aldi and Target those are all 5-10 minutes from me. I know that we're going to have to do a little adjusting when we get there....
For shopping, most drive about an hour to get to Hagerstown, Altoona, or Morgantown. All of these cities have stores like Target, BJ's, etc.

Again, if you try to compare what Cumberland has to offer in terms of big ticket entertainment compared to a big city, you will be a bit disappointed. If you take the time to see what we do have to offer for a city of our size, you will be impressed. Again, the key is where to look, and what you like to do.

As for sports, we play good HS football around here. In a city of 20k, we get about 4-5k for the average Friday night game between local schools. Homecoming sees about 8k in an average year. You won't notice much of a drop off in talent from watching Browns games......except when the Ravens came to town, of course.

I would highly recommend BW. The public schools are better than they were, but not a place I would send my kids.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM

That's a great turnout for HS. High school football is where the talent
is anyway!!
How about things like a bowling alley or roller skating?
Or summer youth baseball or soccer?

We went to the fields/playground near the railyard when we last visited.
Those were really nice.

How about churches. Does BW have a particular church they associate with?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommmamare View Post
That's a great turnout for HS. High school football is where the talent
is anyway!!
How about things like a bowling alley or roller skating?
Or summer youth baseball or soccer?

We went to the fields/playground near the railyard when we last visited.
Those were really nice.

How about churches. Does BW have a particular church they associate with?
Bowling - Check. One in Cumberland, one in LaVale, one is Frostburg.
Roller Skating - Check. One in Cumberland, one in LaVale. I must admit both are a bit outdated.
Summer sports - Check. I am not an expert but we have Dapper Dan baseball, and many soccer leagues, indoor and outdoor.

Cumberland has one Catholic Parish, Our Lady of the Mountains. It is really an amalgam of 4 parishes that concolidated for cost savings a few years back. 3 of the individual churches have Sunday mass, one is designated as a shrine. I am not sure if you are a Catholic or not, but the churches date from about 1850-1900 and are stunning. The Shrine of SS. Peters and Pauls has stained glass that is literally irreplacable. The factory in Austria and methods they used were lost when the place was destroyed during WWII. But I digress. Frostburg has St. Michael's Parish. Both are affiliated with BW. Plenty of non-Catholics go there too.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-09-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,144 times
Cumberland has its small city perks for sure,less traffic,less crime. Traveling an hour to PA or Hagerstown,MD for shopping isnt that big of an issue,I do it alot with family. BW is a good school with smaller rosters for sports teams,smaller classroom size. There are soccer,baseball,basketball,football leagues as well. There is a nice YMCA with all kinds of programs for kids.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,733,977 times
Thing with Cumberland is that it is isolated.

Frederick might offer more of that "big city" thing but that only works if your husband is able to commute easily. Plus it will be more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or