Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,904 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching in Montgomery County Public Schools for
the last three years. As much as I enjoy teaching, I find
MCPS to be a stressful county to work in. There are a lot
of initiatives sent down from the administration every year
that add extra stress to the job. MCPS also provides a
county-written curriculum that requires teachers to make
and/or find most of their materials.

I just want to know is it the same in other Maryland counties? I am particularly interested in Frederick, Howard, Carrol, and Anne Arundel counties because we may be relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 AM

196 posts, read 795,713 times
I can only speak of Carroll. I think teachers are fairly happy here, and the pace will certainly be more laid back. No idea of what openings are available, but would be worth checking out North Carroll, South Carroll, Liberty (Eldersburg), Linganore (Libertytown in Frederick County), Francis Scott Key, and then in Westminster, Winters Mill High and Westminster High, along with the various elementary and middle schools.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessMD View Post
I have been teaching in Montgomery County Public Schools for
the last three years. As much as I enjoy teaching, I find
MCPS to be a stressful county to work in. There are a lot
of initiatives sent down from the administration every year
that add extra stress to the job. MCPS also provides a
county-written curriculum that requires teachers to make
and/or find most of their materials.

I just want to know is it the same in other Maryland counties? I am particularly interested in Frederick, Howard, Carrol, and Anne Arundel counties because we may be relocating.

My child "used to" go to MCPS's... HATED IT...
I feel for the teachers... To much pressure on you and the kids...

They may look good on paper... but they are TERRIBLE in real life...
I wish the govt. would open their eyes...

MCPS is one reason we moved..

I have no suggestions on what other county in Maryland to teach in... I'm not a teacher... I'm just glad teachers like you are finally going to take a stand and move on and do what they went to school for....TEACH ... not just teach to test...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Montgomery County government try ther best to make the county look pretty to outsiders instead of revealing the truth. I am not sure how other county works but I do know that other counties are getting stricker with their requirement.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 PM

41 posts, read 191,547 times
From what I understand my 2 step kids have a wonderful school in Calvert County. The oldest has austism and they have been nothing but great with them. They are always looking for teachers because the school has grown so much. I would look into it there.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
Wow! I am sure surprised. MCPS was a great district years ago when I attended RMHS. What exactly is the problem (or problems)? In other words, what is the truth that should be revealed? I am an educator, and I taught in CA previously. It was constant stess and pressure in that state too!!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Howard, is very popular with new teachers and has a strong current teaching force that is thriving with great curriculum support.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM

222 posts, read 1,053,971 times
I think the climate in MCPS for teachers depends on the school too. I taught in MCPS for 3 years. There were some stupid initiatives, but overall I was pretty happy. I taught at a great school. I made up worksheets, but that was because I wanted to tailor the curriculum to my kids - there were lots that I could use. If you think you have a lot of worksheets ect to make up, try Baltimore Co! My curriculum this year requires 20+ texts, and I am at a new school that has none. I have made nearly everything.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,460 times
Angry unappreciated

I'm currently working in Baltimore City. Discipline problems stop the learning and teaching process, especially in the middle and high schools. Depending on the school/principal, lack of support could drive you away as well. They're constantly recruiting because of the high turnover, but haven't figured out how to reward good teachers who stay. Very low parent participation and accountability. I think student expectation is too low.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 62,310 times
I teach in Anne Arundel county and I am very happy. Yes, there's lots of standardized testing, but there is in every county now. Generally the curriculum is very clear cut and teachers have easy access to worksheets and materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland