Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Hagerstown and Salisbury have the same things that Baltimore County have. It isnt farms and fields with outhouses you know
I thought this comment was just referring to these areas being closer to state lines, in comparison to Balto co. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think it was saying things aren't available in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex2121 View Post
What made you decide to buy property in pg county if you have all these criticisms about it? If I were buying a house I would try to rule out all criticism of the state I was buying in or I wouldn't buy there. Just my thoughts
Because people constantly repeat that propaganda about VA. When it comes to taxes Maryland is the highest in the region and PG county is at the top of the pile, it's insulting and laughable for someone to even attempt to justify the rate in PG. Maryland simply plays on the emotions of others (as cpterp was called out on).

Maryland is constantly pushing propaganda about VA and that should be a huge warning sign. VA is not even concerned about MD. (that concilmembers crack on PUBLIC record about FBI moving to MD to be closer to criminals is very telling).

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
I don't really live my life to avoid taxes, but if I lived closer to Delaware you can bet I'd buy more things there.
And while it's still more than a decade away I'm definitely retiring back in my home state of PA.
MD is just a place I moved to and live in right now because my job is in DC. When my work days are done -- I'm OUT of this state.

My concern is more the social policies in MD, such as certain referenda which passed in the last election.
I've never been 'into' living in MD it has no special emotional affinity for me, but it works for me now and is just as good a place as any -- I suppose. But I'm so done, and through with some of the decisions made in this state.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 10,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency says the city has the highest per capita heroin addiction rate in the country. Estimates of the total number of addicts in the city vary, but experts agree it's staggering.
Carroll County high schools have been fighting a heroin epidemic for two decades. I know because I live in the county. Counties do not get much whiter or more socially conservative than Carroll County.

Heroin Addiction Sweeps Small Towns - ABC News

"What started in Westminster has spread to nearly every small town in Carroll County, destroying lives, families and futures regardless of social status, race, or geography. So far, there have been more than 20 overdose deaths and hundreds of heroin overdoses of young people in all of Carroll County."

The problem has spread to other suburban/rural counties in Maryland.

More Young People Using Heroin In Md. Suburbs « CBS Baltimore

"If you think you know what a heroin addict looks like, look again. There is a new face of heroin, mostly young and living in the suburbs. Faces like 22-year-old Nicole Duda, of Frederick; 20-year-old Towson University student Abe Cahan; 18-year-old Elliott Mason, of Harford County; and from Carroll County, 15-year-old Liam O’Hara and 16-year-old Scott Payne–all dead after overdosing on heroin."

Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 10,763 times
Quote:
Yet there are still posters on this board that try to label him as a rightwing Tea party wackjob and use him as an example of the "extremist GOP candidates" that don't fly in Maryland. He is clearly a moderate, if not a RINO. If Bob Ehrlich isn't moderate enough for you, I don't think any GOP candidate will be.
Ehrlich is an "old school" socially moderate, fiscally conservative Maryland Republican. I was a socially moderate, fiscally conservative Maryland Republican up until the Christian right hijacked the party following the '92 general election. It's funny how the GOP morphed into the former southern and neo-conservative (Henry M. Jackson) wings of the Democratic Party, and now "old school" Republicans are seen as RINOs. If anyone wants to know how Maryland went from having a Republican represent District 8 (Chris Van Hollen's seat) to the gerrymandered mess that we see today, here's your sign.

Social conservatism has never flown in Maryland. Maryland has been socially tolerant since the colonial period. The socially conservative stance that the GOP took at the national level after the '92 primary cost the Maryland GOP big time! The all or nothing, my way or the highway, southernized religious test for office GOP did not play well with Maryland natives.

Mac Mathias made Ehrlich look like a hardcore right-winger. However, Mathias was a highly effective representative and senator who led me to choose the "government should stay out of my personal business" GOP over the Democratic Party. However, over time, the GOP, via the Southern strategy and Reagan's recruiting of the Henry M. Jackson wing, morphed in the parts of the Democratic Party that I could not stand.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMR View Post
Carroll County high schools have been fighting a heroin epidemic for two decades. I know because I live in the county. Counties do not get much whiter or more socially conservative than Carroll County.

Heroin Addiction Sweeps Small Towns - ABC News

"What started in Westminster has spread to nearly every small town in Carroll County, destroying lives, families and futures regardless of social status, race, or geography. So far, there have been more than 20 overdose deaths and hundreds of heroin overdoses of young people in all of Carroll County."

The problem has spread to other suburban/rural counties in Maryland.

More Young People Using Heroin In Md. Suburbs « CBS Baltimore

"If you think you know what a heroin addict looks like, look again. There is a new face of heroin, mostly young and living in the suburbs. Faces like 22-year-old Nicole Duda, of Frederick; 20-year-old Towson University student Abe Cahan; 18-year-old Elliott Mason, of Harford County; and from Carroll County, 15-year-old Liam O’Hara and 16-year-old Scott Payne–all dead after overdosing on heroin."
The clear solution should be to ban all drugs. Oh wait...

Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,100,274 times
Quote:
Actually.........

Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency says the city has the highest per capita heroin addiction rate in the country. Estimates of the total number of addicts in the city vary, but experts agree it's staggering.

In a city of 645,000, the Baltimore Department of Health estimates there are 60,000 drug addicts, with as many as 48,000 of them hooked on heroin. A federal report released last month puts the number of heroin addicts alone at 60,000.[/i]

Part I: Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital - ABC News
As usual, you're missing the point.

Do you really think that everyone who buys drugs or is hooked on drugs is actually a resident of the city of Baltimore? Oh yeah, because everyone who admits to being an addict will proudly admit that they really live in Towson, Dundalk, Essex, Glen Burnout (oops, Burnie), Pikesville, Owings Mills, or wherever.

According to the US Census Bureau (quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/24/24510.html), the population of Baltimore City was 621,342.

So that means almost 10% of the population is hooked on heroin?

I don't find that to be credible. If it was that bad, then Baltimore would be in a hell of a lot worse shape than it is because the public safety and social services alone, would be completely overrun.

I have to throw a b***s*** flag.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Do you really think that everyone who buys drugs or is hooked on drugs is actually a resident of the city of Baltimore? Oh yeah, because everyone who admits to being an addict will proudly admit that they really live in Towson, Dundalk, Essex, Glen Burnout (oops, Burnie), Pikesville, Owings Mills, or wherever.

According to the US Census Bureau (quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/24/24510.html), the population of Baltimore City was 621,342.

I don't find that to be credible. If it was that bad, then Baltimore would be in a hell of a lot worse shape than it is because the public safety and social services alone, would be completely overrun.

Are you calling BS on Westside or the Baltimore Department of Health numbers? Those are the numbers that Baltimore and the State use in developing policy. And public safety and social services are overwhelmed. Have you been following the jail scandal?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMR View Post
Ehrlich is an "old school" socially moderate, fiscally conservative Maryland Republican. I was a socially moderate, fiscally conservative Maryland Republican up until the Christian right hijacked the party following the '92 general election. It's funny how the GOP morphed into the former southern and neo-conservative (Henry M. Jackson) wings of the Democratic Party, and now "old school" Republicans are seen as RINOs. If anyone wants to know how Maryland went from having a Republican represent District 8 (Chris Van Hollen's seat) to the gerrymandered mess that we see today, here's your sign.

Social conservatism has never flown in Maryland. Maryland has been socially tolerant since the colonial period. The socially conservative stance that the GOP took at the national level after the '92 primary cost the Maryland GOP big time! The all or nothing, my way or the highway, southernized religious test for office GOP did not play well with Maryland natives.

Mac Mathias made Ehrlich look like a hardcore right-winger. However, Mathias was a highly effective representative and senator who led me to choose the "government should stay out of my personal business" GOP over the Democratic Party. However, over time, the GOP, via the Southern strategy and Reagan's recruiting of the Henry M. Jackson wing, morphed in the parts of the Democratic Party that I could not stand.
I don't think Maryland has always been socially liberal. If you are going all the way back in history, remember that Maryland was forced to stay in the Union in the Civil War and would have joined the Confederacy if Lincoln didn't arrest everyone in the General Assembly who would have voted for secession. Maryland historically was part of the old South.

Maryland has always had a lot of blue dog Democrats/union types but recently the Democrat party was hijacked by the California/New Jersey style radical liberals who are liberal both socially and fiscally. Remember that the death penalty was legal and illegal aliens did not get all these rewards for their illegality until recently. I consider myself conservative both socially and fiscally. I am conservative on every issue, though I consider myself more moderate on gay marriage and the environment, though still lean conservative. I am the most conservative on abortion, illegal immigration, and taxes. Especially taxes.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Throw the BS flag at ABC news. Go find a better source. I didn't make it up.

I didn't miss the point, I posted a fact. BALTIMORE CITY IS THE HEROIN CAPITAL OF THE US. I never disputed they export drugs out of the city, or that rural people can be addicts too. But facts are facts, more drug addicts IN THE CITY per capita by a huge margin. If facts upset you, than you are the one missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland