U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM

6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually the "Rain Tax" is supposed to be applied throughout the Chesapeake watershed, that's like 6 states and DC.
I don't think there is a rain tax in West Virginia or Pennsylvania which form part of the watershed. In any case the residents of West Virginia and Virginia at least would NEVER tolerate something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:05 AM

32,116 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Virginia fought it in court and won for now. Eventually the EPA, which is where this came from, will force the issue. They'll win.

If you think this is intrusive you haven't seen anything yet, wait until the treatment requirements for runoff start to be implemented. As it stands now any new structure has to limit the runoff going off-site to an absolute minimum, which is why you're seeing so many holding ponds and green roofs being constructed.

I've been going to meetings on this since Ehrlich was Governor (actually now that I think about it stretching back to Shafer) and there is absolutely no sense of compromise coming from either MD Department of Planning or the MD Department of the Environment. Lots of us saw this coming as early as 1986.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,385,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
What have you done to avoid O'Malley's ridiculous and continuing tax hikes????
Come to Indiana if you want to escape the high taxes/high corruption/Anti-2nd Amendment nanny state government that is Maryland. Taxes are 40%+ lower. Cost of living is at least 40% lower too with real estate being among the most affordable in the country. Property taxes are capped at 1% of your homes value for an extra bonus savings.
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the Midwest and has a strong economy with a good amount of job openings and positions. Indy also has the LOWEST cost of living of any Major US city.
If you like events and conventions then Indy has plenty for you. The Indy 500 in may. Super Bowl 46 which was a smashing success: Super Bowl XLVI's Real Winner? Indianapolis! - Forbes
Here's a very detailed article about life in Indianapolis. http://careers.angieslist.com/life-in-indy/
Another thing people rave about in Indy is Hoosier Hospitality its not some folktale you hear on the internet as its an important part of the culture and quality of life in Indy. People are very friendly and down to earth. This helps Indianapolis be the least segregated city in the Northern United States. Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia *A University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee study recently concluded that Indianapolis is the least segregated city in the northern United States, with 25% of the population living on a city block with both white and black residents.*

Finally since our states budget is balanced the Indiana general assembly has announced a 5% income tax cut/elimination of the Inheritance tax and a cut in the financial institutions tax. totaling over 500 Million dollars a year in tax relief

Old 05-18-2013, 04:09 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,731,782 times
Yeah but then you have to be Indiana.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 PM

5,824 posts, read 3,770,505 times
Too close to Illinois to be certain that you'd escape the corruption!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,418,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Virginia fought it in court and won for now. Eventually the EPA, which is where this came from, will force the issue. They'll win.

If you think this is intrusive you haven't seen anything yet, wait until the treatment requirements for runoff start to be implemented. As it stands now any new structure has to limit the runoff going off-site to an absolute minimum, which is why you're seeing so many holding ponds and green roofs being constructed.

I've been going to meetings on this since Ehrlich was Governor (actually now that I think about it stretching back to Shafer) and there is absolutely no sense of compromise coming from either MD Department of Planning or the MD Department of the Environment. Lots of us saw this coming as early as 1986.
So over time, these 6 states and DC will have some form of a "rain tax" yes? Is most of the pollution also coming up from the Susquehanna in PA as well? I'd suspect this would be coming from the farms in PA as well.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM

32,116 posts, read 39,199,960 times
The EPA is "encouraging" the states in the watershed to implement some sort of tax/fee for impervious surfaces so, yes, eventually.

One of the big arguments between PA and MD is which one is the bigger polluter, the Susquehanna drainage or the non-opoint source pollution from MD. Each blames the other, of course. Both sides have merit to their respective positions.

VA is also in the mix with the James River, especially.

In my opinion, and only my opinion, MD needs to get rid of its oppostion to introducing the Asian Oyster which has been experimented with in VA. If we would get back to even 25% of the oyster population of 100 years ago the Bay would heal itself.

I'm one of those people who is not reflexively opposed to some of the proposals for the Chesapeake. One of which is the Flush Tax. That money was going to be collected one way or another, either under the current model or in sewer billings for usage. Sewer bills will continue to rise, by the way.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Too close to Illinois to be certain that you'd escape the corruption!
Actually interesting you bring that up.

Indiana House of Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now compare. Illinois House of Representatives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like Illinois and its stinky corruption hasn't affected Indiana at all
Pat Quinn though is one of the most laughable governors in the nation and its funny as he is the joke around Indiana.
Mitch Daniels couldn't of said it better himself: Living next door to Illinois is like living next door to the Simpsons.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yeah but then you have to be Indiana.
Curious question.
Have you ever been to Indiana?
*hint driving through on I-70/64 or 80/90 doesn't count. Actually stopping in Indianapolis for a couple nights and doing something does*

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,731,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Curious question.
Have you ever been to Indiana?
*hint driving through on I-70/64 or 80/90 doesn't count. Actually stopping in Indianapolis for a couple nights and doing something does*
A few times in indy, and in some smaller towns of southern In. Rode the AMTRAK thru northern IN.

My comment was in poor taste and I apologize. I did not find Indiana appealing and in fact had a rather terrible experience in the town where a certain basketball player is from. I was not left with a good impression of the locals.

I found nothing in IN that rivaled marylands offerings. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or