U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Filling up before I enter MD (luckily I don't drive as much), online shopping, that's about it.

I wouldn't move any further South than VA since I have to be near an intl airport. Though I'm really disgusted at the state legislature.
Atlanta Hartsfield, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte Douglas and Nashville are all very major international airports especially Atlanta. They all have flights to most of the international destinations that BWI has flights to. Plus its not like you fly every month or something is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,417,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Atlanta Hartsfield, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte Douglas and Nashville are all very major international airports especially Atlanta. They all have flights to most of the international destinations that BWI has flights to. Plus its not like you fly every month or something is it?
IAD is closest to me, not BWI. Oh and IAD > everyone of those you just mentioned, except maybe ATL. RDU is meh and the Triangle itself is rather boring in general. ATL is ok but the humidity is too much for me.

Work requires me to travel ~3 times and soon 5 or 6 times a year. Much of the work travel is paid for and I travel ~2 times a yr to see family so in all I do quite a bit of traveling.

I prefer less layovers and a quicker route to get to my destination. IAD and Reagan are ideal for my travel albeit a little expensive unless you know where to look.

I'm also rooted here in MD so I don't want to move too far away.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
IAD is closest to me, not BWI. Oh and IAD > everyone of those you just mentioned, except maybe ATL. RDU is meh and the Triangle itself is rather boring in general. ATL is ok but the humidity is too much for me.
Yeah, I don't think Tom Lennox flies much. There are only a handful of airports in the country that compete with IAD in terms of volume and number of destinations. ATL, JFK and ORD are about it.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM

3,626 posts, read 5,011,910 times
We moved -- left Potomac a few years ago, took our business with us and never looked back.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Yeah, I don't think Tom Lennox flies much. There are only a handful of airports in the country that compete with IAD in terms of volume and number of destinations. ATL, JFK and ORD are about it.
You're correct. I fly about once every 2 or 3 years. Usually Southwest Airlines out of BWI. I wish Reagan had more flights but they have that restriction on mileage so they can't run flights to most Western cities. All of my family lives within a 7 hour drive of Baltimore. I only fly to visit friends or on vacation.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times
Quote:
I wouldn't move any further South than VA since I have to be near an intl airport. Though I'm really disgusted at the state legislature.
There are International airports south of Virginia. Lots of them. In North Carolina there's RDU and Charlotte's Douglas airports.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:27 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times
BTW, my wife and I packed up and hit the road in part because of the ever increasing tax burden in Maryland, 7 years ago.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There are International airports south of Virginia. Lots of them. In North Carolina there's RDU and Charlotte's Douglas airports.
See my post above. Neither hold a candle to the number of departures and number of direct destinations of Dulles. If you fly frequently (which both e30is and I do), then the DC area is hugely convenient. It's actually one of the very few things I'm going to miss when I leave in Sept.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 AM

I will most likely be moving to West Virginia in the summer. I can already imagine myself going into the EZ Pass office for the last time, turning in my EZ Pass and ending my commuter plan in Baltimore and announcing that Martin O'Malley will not be getting another cent from me.

And after I move to West Virginia I will support candidates who will preserve the better way of life there. Those who support my gun rights, and those who are trying to remove tolls on the West Virginia Turnpike, reinstate the death penatly there and lower the gas tax there will get my support. Those who support abortion and illegal immigration and who want to take my guns away will NOT get my vote.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Hagerstown and Salisbury have the same things that Baltimore County have. It isnt farms and fields with outhouses you know
You must have misinterpreted what I wrote.

I mean that it makes more sense for people in Hagerstown and Salisbury to cross state lines to buy things in West Virginia and Delaware where taxes are lower, vs Baltimore County which is located in the center of the state and from here it isn't worth driving out of state JUST to shop to avoid taxes.

For example many people in Cumberland go to Ridgeley, WV weekly for beer and cigarrettes because those things are taxed less, and Delaware has no sales tax so people around Salisbury can easily cross into Delaware to shop since its so close by.

in Baltimore County we do not have these options since its a long drive to the state borders. However when I happen to travel out of state for other reasons I do stock up on many things that are taxed less elsewhere. And I always fill up my gas tank in Virginia or West Virginia before coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or