U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 4,607,767 times

Advertisements

But, according to the 9th paragraph below, MD has the 3rd lowest state and local tax burden as a share of income in the nation. Can this be true??

Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley: Biography
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM

32,121 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
But, according to the 9th paragraph below, MD has the 3rd lowest state and local tax burden as a share of income in the nation. Can this be true??

Maryland tax burden ranks 12th highest in U.S. - Baltimore Business Journal

Mark Twain again.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 PM

544 posts, read 855,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

I have a feeling that profile hasn't been updated since he took office.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM

6,553 posts, read 11,629,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I stopped reading after the first few paragraphs....complete BS! Where I live, in Columbia, gas is currently around $3.80 a gallon. I was in Essex yesterday and seen gas prices as low as $3.39 a gallon. The average gas price in Maryland is currently around $3.48 a gallon and the national average for a gallon of gas was $3.54 as of April 15. Maryland is the richest State in Country, yet we pay below the national average for a gallon of gas (unless you live Howard County or Montgomery County...not sure about others). Gas in your beloved West Virginia is averaging $3.63. West Virginia is also the second poorest State in the Country.

Gasoline tax in Maryland is currently 41 cents, cigarette tax is 55 cents per pack. West Virginia is currently sitting at almost 52 cents for gas tax, and is also 55 cents in tax per pack of cigarettes. The sales tax in both States is 6%, but some locations in West Virginia have the authority to charge another 1%. Also in West Virginia food is taxed at 1%, and only prescription drugs are exempt. In Maryland, food, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs are exempt.

By the way, out of curiosity, are you from Louisiana or Silver Springs?
I lived in Louisiana until 8th grade. I went to high school in Montgomery County, in Potomac where I obviously did not fit in, attended College Park and now live in Baltimore County.

If Maryland was more fair, the statewide sales tax would be lower, and Montgomery COunty and Baltimore City would have higher local taxes to pay for their transportation needs and for their liberal social programs including those benefiting illegals.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM

6,553 posts, read 11,629,504 times
I've always wondered about living in one state and working in another especially when one state is taxed for more than the other. Also I'm currently working in Maryland and will be through early August then moving to West Virginia. I"m not sure if I'll be working there or not since I'll be in school full time. I wonder if its ok to file a West Virginia tax return since I probably get more back.

Right now, gas prices here in eastern Baltimore County are lower than most of West Virginia. This will change when the gas tax increases here in July. There are no plans in WV to increase their gas tax. And remember that the gas tax will increase EVEN MORE if Congress doesn't pass an Internet sales tax which btw is pushed by high tax states since as revelent to the original poll here, people are ALSO going more purchases online to avoid sales taxes.

I don't shop online TOO much do you pay the sales tax for the state the website is hosted in? If so and Maryland adds an Internet sales tax wouldn't we be double taxed???

On and by the way......it almost GUARANTEED that if Congress allows state sales tax on Internet purhcases, Maryland FOR SURE will tax citizens for buying things online. GUARANTEED.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM

708 posts, read 1,028,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I stopped reading after the first few paragraphs....complete BS! Where I live, in Columbia, gas is currently around $3.80 a gallon. I was in Essex yesterday and seen gas prices as low as $3.39 a gallon. The average gas price in Maryland is currently around $3.48 a gallon and the national average for a gallon of gas was $3.54 as of April 15. Maryland is the richest State in Country, yet we pay below the national average for a gallon of gas (unless you live Howard County or Montgomery County...not sure about others). Gas in your beloved West Virginia is averaging $3.63. West Virginia is also the second poorest State in the Country.

Gasoline tax in Maryland is currently 41 cents, cigarette tax is 55 cents per pack. West Virginia is currently sitting at almost 52 cents for gas tax, and is also 55 cents in tax per pack of cigarettes. The sales tax in both States is 6%, but some locations in West Virginia have the authority to charge another 1%. Also in West Virginia food is taxed at 1%, and only prescription drugs are exempt. In Maryland, food, prescription drugs, and non-prescription drugs are exempt.

By the way, out of curiosity, are you from Louisiana or Silver Springs?
Guess you should have kept reading, article says the tax is multi-phased to begin in 2014-16.

I am of the camp that Maryland has a taxation issue, this is why they have minimal business presence compared to NOVA.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If Maryland was more fair, the statewide sales tax would be lower, and Montgomery COunty and Baltimore City would have higher local taxes to pay for their transportation needs and for their liberal social programs including those benefiting illegals.
Sure, as long as Montgomery could pay less taxes to support the rest of the state. Here's the rates of poverty in your vaunted rural counties - you can see directly where Montgomery supports the rest of the state.

USDA ERS - County-level Data Sets: Poverty

http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/unit...in-poverty#map

Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,846,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Sure, as long as Montgomery could pay less taxes to support the rest of the state. Here's the rates of poverty in your vaunted rural counties - you can see directly where Montgomery supports the rest of the state.

USDA ERS - County-level Data Sets: Poverty

Maryland Poverty Rate by County
Using your logics, it could be said that Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties are helping to support MoGo.

If you ride out to those impoverished counties, you'll see that the state isn't spending much other than human resources money. Put it this way, you see a whole lot more orange barrels in the rich counties than you do poor ones.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Using your logics, it could be said that Anne Arundel and Calvert Counties are helping to support MoGo.
The 2011 data has Anne Arundel at 6.5% and Montgomery at 6.7%, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, energy assistance, cash assistance, child care subsidies, Section 8, shelters, drug rehabilitation programs....these are all things that the state is paying for that you're not "seeing when you drive out to those counties". You and Tom Lennox like to make this assumption that because these counties are more conservative, they're not feeding off the government teat. They are.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM

18 posts, read 17,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The 2011 data has Anne Arundel at 6.5% and Montgomery at 6.7%, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, energy assistance, cash assistance, child care subsidies, Section 8, shelters, drug rehabilitation programs....these are all things that the state is paying for that you're not "seeing when you drive out to those counties". You and Tom Lennox like to make this assumption that because these counties are more conservative, they're not feeding off the government teat. They are.
Money is the root to all evil.

There is no greener grass on 1 state vs another. I have recently become very disheartened to realize this. Except for maybe lower property taxes, nearly every other state around MD has some other way of "getting you". They all have the same scum that feed off those who work and never will have to themselves. MD probably is more famous for it vs say VA or PA.

In regards to O'Malley, did people just wake up and realize that MD is very liberal? What about those before him? I'm sure they did stuff that was unpopular and yet the dems got reelected. Its my understanding MD has been historically democratic for at least the last 40-50 years. So why is everyone so shocked he would pass legislation he likes?
Ssdy=same sh*t different year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or