U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,267,557 times

Advertisements

Reiflame......I am moving to West Virginia for school, so I'm actually NOT one of those people who are moving because of taxes though I do always take advantage of lower taxes out of state when I travel. I always find a Walmart and stock up on things when I can.

My current address is in Baltimore County and I will be going to CHarleston, WV. I wonder about my license renewal, etc having to come back to Maryland every time it needs to be renewed. I definitely will have to look into this. I have a good friend who came to Maryland from California for school and for 4 years he kept his California drivers license with his California license plates. It IS of course a possibility I will stay in West Virginia after I finish my school program. There really isn't much left for me in Maryland, I'm newly single, many of my friends have moved out of state, including to WV and other Southern states like SC, VA, NC, TN and when I am finished with school, the new income tax increase will affect my future tax bracket. Additionally, PlanMaryland and transit-oriented development pushed by the state government makes suburban and rural living less afforable in Maryland than in other states. I do wish to achieve the American Dream in the forseeable future and have a single family home on a large plot of land in a rural or suburban area. My parents still live in Montgomery COunty but it is possible they may move after retirement, and the cost of living is a factor, along with affordability.

Its NOT really true that we get what we pay for, and that higher taxes means better things for us. In Maryland, I see myself and my family seeing tax increases to benefit others, redistribution of wealth. Paying higher gas taxes so that the city and MoCo can get mass transit. Paying higher tolls so Montgomery County can get the ICC. Paying higher alcohol taxes to fund Bmore City and PG County schools. Paying higher income taxes and property taxes so that the welfare and ghetto crowd, including illegal immigrants, can get a free ride and more government benefits. Even as a resident of suburban Baltimore, I think it would have been better if the gas tax was lower and gas was cheaper, and we did not have the Light Rail or Baltimore Metro, which has only had negative impacts on the suburbs anyway. And now college tuition may likely go up to pay for the illegal alien Dreamers to go to school, so they can get useless degrees because their illegality will still keep them from getting any job thats not paid under the table. I don't want to pay fees toward a handgun licensing system that I don't think we need that I'm against philosophically anyway.

Now if you rely on government benefits and programs then yes, Maryland is better for you than Virginia, West Virginia, or possibly even Delaware and Pennsylvania. But if you are a middle class or hardworking blue collar individual who is not dependent on the government and not on welfare, life is better elsewhere. As for all the save the Bay taxes I don't think the Bay is any more polluted than the Potomac River, the Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain, the Missouri River or any other American waterway. And the wind farm tax will do NOTHING for Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,119,397 times
Does it really matter what party people vote for? Both Republicans and Democrats are awful. Instead of holding both accountable, it's "this party's fault or that party's fault". No matter who we vote for, nothing is going to change.

I don't understand the partisanship among people. Neither party cares about the people. They are both ignorant and a bunch of hypocrites. Both parties have hidden agendas that people do not acknowledge. Democrats waste money by mismanagement while Republicans expect everyone to live to their standards when there is so many different beliefs,opinions.

Forget all that partisan junk and generalization.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:47 PM

18 posts, read 18,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Reiflame......I am moving to West Virginia for school, so I'm actually NOT one of those people who are moving because of taxes though I do always take advantage of lower taxes out of state when I travel. I always find a Walmart and stock up on things when I can.

My current address is in Baltimore County and I will be going to CHarleston, WV. I wonder about my license renewal, etc having to come back to Maryland every time it needs to be renewed. I definitely will have to look into this. I have a good friend who came to Maryland from California for school and for 4 years he kept his California drivers license with his California license plates. It IS of course a possibility I will stay in West Virginia after I finish my school program. There really isn't much left for me in Maryland, I'm newly single, many of my friends have moved out of state, including to WV and other Southern states like SC, VA, NC, TN and when I am finished with school, the new income tax increase will affect my future tax bracket. Additionally, PlanMaryland and transit-oriented development pushed by the state government makes suburban and rural living less afforable in Maryland than in other states. I do wish to achieve the American Dream in the forseeable future and have a single family home on a large plot of land in a rural or suburban area. My parents still live in Montgomery COunty but it is possible they may move after retirement, and the cost of living is a factor, along with affordability.

Its NOT really true that we get what we pay for, and that higher taxes means better things for us. In Maryland, I see myself and my family seeing tax increases to benefit others, redistribution of wealth. Paying higher gas taxes so that the city and MoCo can get mass transit. Paying higher tolls so Montgomery County can get the ICC. Paying higher alcohol taxes to fund Bmore City and PG County schools. Paying higher income taxes and property taxes so that the welfare and ghetto crowd, including illegal immigrants, can get a free ride and more government benefits. Even as a resident of suburban Baltimore, I think it would have been better if the gas tax was lower and gas was cheaper, and we did not have the Light Rail or Baltimore Metro, which has only had negative impacts on the suburbs anyway. And now college tuition may likely go up to pay for the illegal alien Dreamers to go to school, so they can get useless degrees because their illegality will still keep them from getting any job thats not paid under the table. I don't want to pay fees toward a handgun licensing system that I don't think we need that I'm against philosophically anyway.

Now if you rely on government benefits and programs then yes, Maryland is better for you than Virginia, West Virginia, or possibly even Delaware and Pennsylvania. But if you are a middle class or hardworking blue collar individual who is not dependent on the government and not on welfare, life is better elsewhere. As for all the save the Bay taxes I don't think the Bay is any more polluted than the Potomac River, the Mississippi River, Lake Pontchartrain, the Missouri River or any other American waterway. And the wind farm tax will do NOTHING for Maryland.
You are very right on many levels! All of what you said is very true about MD. Where in Baltimore county do you live (town)? I ask 1. Because its a big county and 2. Because I am from Carroll county originally and am very familiar with western and northern parts of Baltimore county so I know where your coming from.

Where I live now (Washington county) is IMO the last area in MD where you can (semi) afford to live and still be in (fairly) close to job markets. This I have seen is slowly eroding away as more people come seeking what I described above. I personally came here after graduation and realizing Carroll county was very expensive to live there.

I just know that those in pa and wv (poss VA) have probably less tax burdens then MD but I have it good for now here. I get to go out of state for anything I don't wanna buy in MD very easily, but I still have a (fairly) easy commute to central MD for work. Now one day (and that day is coming faster each legislative session) it will be better for me to be in one of the other states aforementioned. Personally I can't wait and am just biding my time in MD.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM

544 posts, read 884,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Does it really matter what party people vote for?
I don't think so, but in most cases you don't have any other viable options.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,275,085 times
It's funny to see the guy who runs 8 right wing mult accounts have little conversations with himself lol

Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 PM

LEx I currently live in Dundalk, near the border with Edgemere. I had lived in Baltimore City before but couldn't stand the crime, the expensiveness despite the crime, the overcrowding, etc. Plus county taxes are much lower. I've been to Carroll County many times and its my favorite county on the Western Shore by far. My favorite part of Maryland is the Eastern Shore, especially Cambridge and Easton. I grew up originally in Louisiana and ahve also lived briefly in Montgomery County.

I also have friends who are looking at places in York County, PA around Red Lion. They might be moving THERE from Dundalk this summer. I have friends who have moved to Virginia, West Virginia, Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina from Maryland. The view from the Southern states is different. Sometimes they complain about the liberal "Yankees" moving down.....those are the Montgomery COunty/Howard County types who move to NC or TN because their company moved their to avoid the higher taxes here and the regulations here. But there area also plenty of folks from Maryland, and PA, and NJ even who move south and realize how messed up Democratic policies have made Maryland....these are the guys who move south from Carroll, eastern Baltimore County, Harford, Frederick, etc.

I do know housing is MUCH cheaper in York County. That areas has certainly benefited from Baltimore County's growth boundaries. The building restrictions around the HEreford Zone has only pushed sprawl further north into Pennsylvania and all those cars still drive down I-83 daily which pollute more and cause more sprawl if all that stuff in Shrewsbury and New Freedom were built around Hereford, Parkton, and Monkton. Just like Montgomery County's growth boundary has pushed sprawl out into Frederick County and into West Virginia. But I've heard Pennsylvania does have very high taxes on gas as well, and they have very weird alcohol laws.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM

18 posts, read 18,312 times
Quote:
LEx I currently live in Dundalk, near the border with Edgemere. I had lived in Baltimore City before but couldn't stand the crime, the expensiveness despite the crime, the overcrowding, etc. Plus county taxes are much lower. I've been to Carroll County many times and its my favorite county on the Western Shore by far. My favorite part of Maryland is the Eastern Shore, especially Cambridge and Easton. I grew up originally in Louisiana and ahve also lived briefly in Montgomery County.

I also have friends who are looking at places in York County, PA around Red Lion. They might be moving THERE from Dundalk this summer. I have friends who have moved to Virginia, West Virginia, Florida, Kentucky, Georgia, and South Carolina from Maryland. The view from the Southern states is different. Sometimes they complain about the liberal "Yankees" moving down.....those are the Montgomery COunty/Howard County types who move to NC or TN because their company moved their to avoid the higher taxes here and the regulations here. But there area also plenty of folks from Maryland, and PA, and NJ even who move south and realize how messed up Democratic policies have made Maryland....these are the guys who move south from Carroll, eastern Baltimore County, Harford, Frederick, etc.

I do know housing is MUCH cheaper in York County. That areas has certainly benefited from Baltimore County's growth boundaries. The building restrictions around the HEreford Zone has only pushed sprawl further north into Pennsylvania and all those cars still drive down I-83 daily which pollute more and cause more sprawl if all that stuff in Shrewsbury and New Freedom were built around Hereford, Parkton, and Monkton. Just like Montgomery County's growth boundary has pushed sprawl out into Frederick County and into West Virginia. But I've heard Pennsylvania does have very high taxes on gas as well, and they have very weird alcohol laws.
I have friends in both Adams and york county who graduated with me and do that commute you speak of. One thing they don't love is PA sends seperate tax bills for all your services. School district and fire district taxes are heaviest taxes and are very Dependant on township or borough.PA liquor laws are 80 years old (have remained the same since prohibition ended and was turned over to each state to manage) and are very religious. As a result PA looses a lot of business on alcohol sales to neighboring states. There new gov has realized this as well as the fact that PA has some of the worst roads and oldest bridges in the U.S. (my mom grew up there and said there was zero construction on roads or bridges for at least 10 years or more) so they have a measure similar to MD with the gas tax but won't be as crippling as MD's. This is still pending legislation and I'm not sure it will pass.

Glad to hear you love Carroll county. I def miss it. But don't miss the stagnent business and constant traffic. Route 140 is the most crowded rd ever and its because Carroll does not have any good business like owings mills or towson. So the whole county commutes.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM

I think PlanMaryland hurts places like Carroll County and keeps businesses from setting up there. O'Malley is a very urban centered governor, same with the General Assembly which is controlled by Baltimore City, Montgomery, and PGC and they don't really care about the concerns of rural areas. Even the gun control bill affects rural areas disproportionately while its created for the same of urban voters.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM

2,773 posts, read 2,493,702 times
Quote:
City residents use drugs at a FAR higher rate. Why do you think all the drug dealers congregate on the streets of Baltimore City's ghettoes? Because that is where their biggest market is. If there were not many drug users in those neighborhoods, the street corners would not be full of dealers.

Why are there not as many drug dealers in Carroll County as there are in Baltimore City?

I don't really care where the FBI goes.

I was more talking about Beretta because O'Malley woulnd't even let them sell their product here in Maryland. Gun owners nationwide care about how much gun manufacturers stand up for our rights and for American values. It will reflect poorly on Beretta if they decide to stay despite O'Malley's gun laws (which are pushed mainly by urban Democrats) even if they allow Beretta to produce assault weapons but not let them sell them here.
Wrong again, Tom.

There are more drug dealers in Baltimore because there are more people (customers) than there are in Carroll County. You wrongly assume that because the number of users is bigger that the percentage of users also bigger but you don't offer any objective proof, just your subjective and biased conjecture based on your prejudices.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,029,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wrong again, Tom.

There are more drug dealers in Baltimore because there are more people (customers) than there are in Carroll County. You wrongly assume that because the number of users is bigger that the percentage of users also bigger but you don't offer any objective proof, just your subjective and biased conjecture based on your prejudices.
Actually.........

Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency says the city has the highest per capita heroin addiction rate in the country. Estimates of the total number of addicts in the city vary, but experts agree it's staggering.

In a city of 645,000, the Baltimore Department of Health estimates there are 60,000 drug addicts, with as many as 48,000 of them hooked on heroin. A federal report released last month puts the number of heroin addicts alone at 60,000.[/i]

Part I: Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or