U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 AM

671 posts, read 1,252,607 times

Advertisements

Being a moderate Democrat, I just don't understand how extreme liberals support the killing of babies (oops, they dehumanize the unborn as simply 'fetuses') but not the killing of hardened criminals (in fact, they support increased possibility for parole and early release). That's all good and fine, but these liberals are also saying that good and honest citizens aren't even allowed to buy their choice of weapons to defend against these criminals. I'm a Soldier and I can't even use an AR-15 (of which I am trained with on the military equivalent M16) to shoot dead the bad guys that would attack my home and try to kill and/or rape my family? Preposterous.

For consistency sake:
(1) If you're going to support killing fetuses, then you should support killing murderers.
(2) If you're not going to support killing fetuses, then you should not support killing murderers.

For common-sense sake:
(1) If you're going to support anti-gun laws, make it illegal throughout the nation (not just piecemeal states).
(2) If you're going to say you support gun ownership, then don't waste taxpayer money on senseless gun laws (e.g. arbitrarily determining a X rounds of bullets in a magazine makes it 'high capacity' and therefore banned).

Where are the moderates like myself running for office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,768,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Any other state but here or CA.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,237,432 times
Quote:
Drowned out by the extremists on both sides who always win primaries.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM

77 posts, read 255,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
All of these issues are simply progressive feathers in O'Malley's hat to promote his political future.
He's trying his best to keep up with Mr.Coumo in New York.

True story! Maryland is pretty cheap when it comes to taxes in comparison to New York.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM

6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times
And there will be more to come. Montgomery COunty Democrats are talking about pushing the plastic bag tax statewide. And remember the second round of gas tax hikes is linked to Congress allowing states to tax Internet purchases???/ Its GUARANTEED Maryland will tax Internet purchases if possible. Its high tax states like Maryland that are pushing for this federal legislation since their residents are buying more things online to avoid state sales taxes. Maybe if Maryland wants more business O'Malley should lower the sales tax. The alcohol tax and cigarette tax increases are already hurting businesses on the state borders especially with Virginia and Delaware, and also wtih WV.

Then there is the rain tax and the wind farm tax.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 AM

558 posts, read 1,137,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So you think someone should have a right to choose an abortion, but a health care worker should not have the choice to not participate in the abortion? Now I am a Republican and I believe abortion can be legal, but doctors and nurses should not be forced to perform it like in Maryland despite their reliigous beliefs. And I don't think planned parenthood should get federal funding.

I am conservative overall, but I am the most passionately conservative on taxes, abortion (though like I said it shouldn't be banned), gun control, and illegal immigration. I don't think illegals deserve ANYTHING and think that we should make life as difficult, inconvenient, and uncomfortable as possible for illegals. I also support the death penalty and do not think gas taxes should be used to fund mass transit. I happen to be against the expansion of mass transit into suburban areas as well and am VERY opposed to transit oriented development and increasing density.

I would say I am moderate on gay marriage and the environment. I am okay with the wind farms, but I think at the same time we should also be friendlier to current forms of energy and I do support natural gas fracking in Western Maryland and I don't think the companies should have to pay for those studies

I'm a registered Democrat...in name only. Ideologically I'm a Republican with social values more aligned with the libertarians. The only reason I am registered Dem is because I live in a blue district where the Republicans either have no chance of winning or don't even bother to field a candidate. So I opt to vote in the Dem primaries to have a choice between bad and worse.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM

322 posts, read 425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
I'm a registered Democrat...in name only. Ideologically I'm a Republican with social values more aligned with the libertarians. The only reason I am registered Dem is because I live in a blue district where the Republicans either have no chance of winning or don't even bother to field a candidate. So I opt to vote in the Dem primaries to have a choice between bad and worse.
I understand what you mean. I used to be a registered Democrat until O'Malley got into my pocket (now Independent). I still consider myself a moderate Democrat but this constant cycle of raising taxes in order to keep up with the massive spending is getting a bit ridiculous. I've grown even more weary of how lenient the state's criminal justice system is on hardcore criminals while at the same time wielding more of a heavy hand when it comes to the softer targets (i.e. the average, working, tax paying citizen).

I'll admit that the last part may just be my perception and I have no statistics to prove it. It just seems to me that the state laws are set up so that the Average Joe who is home minding his own business has to tread lightly when protecting his own home against intruders who just kicked his door down. Homeowners must remember that hardened criminals have rights too. Meanwhile the state/counties have no problem looking past Due Process when it comes to the traffic light cameras that have been repeatedly shown to be inaccurate.

I must say, remaining a registered Democrat in order to vote in the primaries is definitely something I hadn't thought of and should probably reconsider. However, it is my belief that if the conservatives could ever find a way to tone down some of their extremist rhetoric, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of their candidates gaining traction in this state. I know that's a big IF, but I won't be shocked to see it happen nonetheless.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,417,981 times
Quote:
Same.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Quote:
Being a moderate Democrat, I just don't understand how extreme liberals support the killing of babies (oops, they dehumanize the unborn as simply 'fetuses') but not the killing of hardened criminals (in fact, they support increased possibility for parole and early release). That's all good and fine, but these liberals are also saying that good and honest citizens aren't even allowed to buy their choice of weapons to defend against these criminals. I'm a Soldier and I can't even use an AR-15 (of which I am trained with on the military equivalent M16) to shoot dead the bad guys that would attack my home and try to kill and/or rape my family? Preposterous.

For consistency sake:
(1) If you're going to support killing fetuses, then you should support killing murderers.
(2) If you're not going to support killing fetuses, then you should not support killing murderers.

For common-sense sake:
(1) If you're going to support anti-gun laws, make it illegal throughout the nation (not just piecemeal states).
(2) If you're going to say you support gun ownership, then don't waste taxpayer money on senseless gun laws (e.g. arbitrarily determining a X rounds of bullets in a magazine makes it 'high capacity' and therefore banned).

There is simply no need to own something like an AR-15 for protection unless what you are really protecting yourself from is an advancing army...which is why I suspect "enthusiast" really want this type of weapon. "Attack" your home? Such ridiculous language, unless of course you mean an actual attack. Chances are if someone were to break into your home it would be between one and perhaps three people tops depending on what they had in mind to steal. Same with rape....generally one person. Everyone I know who owns guns for protection practice with handguns against multiple targets. Most of those who are "anti-gun" are not actually against guns, just certain types of guns and/or making it harder for "bad guys" to get guns.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Same.
Interesting that two posters do this. Perhaps you two are the exception, but seeing as how you two are two more than I would expect to do this sort of thing, perhaps there are more like you. And as such, perhaps this is why Republicans don't win in this State. In terms of counties, roughly 3/4s of Maryland are red. Granted those blue counties are some of the more populated, but in whole they should equal roughly half of the population. As I posted in another post, O'Malley did not exactly win by a landslide.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 AM

544 posts, read 854,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
There is simply no need to own something like an AR-15 for protection unless what you are really protecting yourself from is an advancing army...which is why I suspect "enthusiast" really want this type of weapon.
AR15s are very good varmit rifles, as in any rifle calibered in .223. FALs and AR10s are perfectly fine deer rifles, just like any rifle calibered in .308.

Clearly you have bought the media line with the sinker attached. You don't understand guns, and that's fine, but don't tell me that they have no use when they are actually really good for hunting and even better for target shooting (which everyone seems to forget is a legitimate shooting style).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or