U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
 
581 posts, read 952,503 times
Reputation: 503

Advertisements

I don't think anyone(liberal or not) believes O'Malley has a shot at being president. The democratic field for 2016 is loaded and O'Malley is not mentioned in the top 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM
 
544 posts, read 854,667 times
Reputation: 492
He's gunning to add liberal credentials to a moderate candidate as the VP. He's not capable of winning the ticket alone, and everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
Reputation: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
He's gunning to add liberal credentials to a moderate candidate as the VP.
A solid bet. I can't imagine an intelligent person like Clinton picking him, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Reputation: 7194
I didn't vote for him, so I reserve the right to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
Reputation: 9377
I still see "Don't Blame Me...I Voted For Erlich" bumper stickers. If I had one, i'd display it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Just because people voted for a candidate, does not mean that it gives a free pass to that candidate to then do whatever he wants once he is elected. The glory of our country is that we the people can criticize what we perceive as poor decisions made by our elected officials, without fear of persecution.


(And for the record, I was not a Marylander when he was running for office. If I had more political clout, I'd run against him in a heartbeat, as I know I can do a better job being a centrist Democrat. Don't worry, I'm working my way up there.)
Actually yes it does especially when the candidate wins convincingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,822 posts, read 3,765,015 times
Reputation: 4977
O'Malley won't likely get a VP nod from a Democratic Presidential nominee. What could he bring that the nominee wouldn't already have in his pocket? Maryland is not in play for the Republicans. If there were any chance MD would go for a Republican President, then the election will likely be a landslide with all the other states going R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Maybe if the republican party presented a viable alternative they would be considered. The national party is hurting them. I'm not a fan of O'Malley, but I wouldnt even consider voting for a republican until things change in that party.
So due to your passion for abortion and gay marriage.......you were willing to accept all the toll hikes, tax hikes, gun control laws, and PlanMaryland?????

PlanMaryland is terrible for our state it is a merciless war on rural areas and prevents all growth in rural Maryland, and mandates transit-oriented development which destroys the quality of life in existing communities. I don't see for example how ANYEONE say that Rockville is nicer today than it was 20 years ago before the town center construction. It used to be a pleasant, low density, suburban area now its too built up and congested. O'Malley likes this kind of thing. And he insists on raising statewide gas taxes and funding mass transit when we do not want a tax hike, and we want our gas tax money actually used on highways.......not to mass transit, and not to liberal social programs that benefit illegal immigrants and other welfare recipients and leeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 AM
 
581 posts, read 952,503 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So due to your passion for abortion and gay marriage.......you were willing to accept all the toll hikes, tax hikes, gun control laws, and PlanMaryland?????

PlanMaryland is terrible for our state it is a merciless war on rural areas and prevents all growth in rural Maryland, and mandates transit-oriented development which destroys the quality of life in existing communities. I don't see for example how ANYEONE say that Rockville is nicer today than it was 20 years ago before the town center construction. It used to be a pleasant, low density, suburban area now its too built up and congested. O'Malley likes this kind of thing. And he insists on raising statewide gas taxes and funding mass transit when we do not want a tax hike, and we want our gas tax money actually used on highways.......not to mass transit, and not to liberal social programs that benefit illegal immigrants and other welfare recipients and leeches.
I know it is a waste of time to argue with you Tom but somehow I am still compelled to.

The tax and toll hikes are a negligible cost to me. Sure I'd love lower taxes, but I do not obsess over it and it does not consume my life like it seems to consume yours.

I grew up in a rural part of Montgomery County and I am very much pro-transit oriented development. Yes Rockville is absolutely 100 times nicer today than it was twenty years ago. The town center is fantastic and getting better every year and I bet a majority of people would agree with me.

I dont think you understand that without transit oriented development traffic would be worse. You are living in the past man, The DC area has doubled in size in the last 20 years, close and middle suburbs arent going to stay these quiet sleepy towns, they have to adapt. Rockville is a desirable place to live. Do you think the town should just turn away thousands of prospective residents and kept the decrepit run down strip malls and empty buildings that used to be at the town center? That's not some evil plan from the governor, thats the free market!

If you think its ok for gov't to let builders do whatever they want in rural areas, why don't you want to let them to build what they want in urban/suburban areas?

Gas taxes HAD to go up because infrastructure costs have gone up and the stupid way the gas tax was previously implemented made no sense. It should have been a % instead of a fixed number.

You also dont seem to get that improving mass transit also helps relieve congestion on highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
Reputation: 9377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I know it is a waste of time to argue with you Tom but somehow I am still compelled to.

The tax and toll hikes are a negligible cost to me. Sure I'd love lower taxes, but I do not obsess over it and it does not consume my life like it seems to consume yours.

I grew up in a rural part of Montgomery County and I am very much pro-transit oriented development. Yes Rockville is absolutely 100 times nicer today than it was twenty years ago. The town center is fantastic and getting better every year and I bet a majority of people would agree with me.

I dont think you understand that without transit oriented development traffic would be worse. You are living in the past man, The DC area has doubled in size in the last 20 years, close and middle suburbs arent going to stay these quiet sleepy towns, they have to adapt. Rockville is a desirable place to live. Do you think the town should just turn away thousands of prospective residents and kept the decrepit run down strip malls and empty buildings that used to be at the town center? That's not some evil plan from the governor, thats the free market!

If you think its ok for gov't to let builders do whatever they want in rural areas, why don't you want to let them to build what they want in urban/suburban areas?

Gas taxes HAD to go up because infrastructure costs have gone up and the stupid way the gas tax was previously implemented made no sense. It should have been a % instead of a fixed number.

You also dont seem to get that improving mass transit also helps relieve congestion on highways.
So, basically, if a liberal governor or liberal city official proposes it, then you are ALL for it, no questions asked. There's no other side of the equation at all.

Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top