U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM

581 posts, read 952,698 times

Advertisements

a nuanced well-thought out and intelligent response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM

544 posts, read 854,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
a nuanced well-thought out and intelligent response.
ay jayy, you're not going to win an argument with people whose only logic is "I got mine, *********". These people don't understand what living in a society means, and there's nothing that you or anyone else will say to make them get that.

Remember, these are the same people who whine about taxes but then take full advantage of government services.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM

671 posts, read 1,252,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Remember, these are the same people who whine about taxes but then take full advantage of government services.
Not to split hairs, but you're talking about every rational (or at least boundedly rational) human being on the planet living in a monetary-based economic environment.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,740,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
ay jayy, you're not going to win an argument with people whose only logic is "I got mine, *********". These people don't understand what living in a society means, and there's nothing that you or anyone else will say to make them get that.
Based on my observations, you're describing individuals who don't have a stake in the system, viz., poor people.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM

513 posts, read 774,228 times
I find it amusing when liberals complain about their elected canidates. You voted for this tax loving guy. Feel the pain with the rest of us.

I just ate at Chick Filla.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
The only people I ever hear complaining about O'Malley are a few posters in this forum. And I am fairly certain not one voted for him. Come to think of it, I have never heard anyone mention O'Malley in "real life", good or bad.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The only people I ever hear complaining about O'Malley are a few posters in this forum. And I am fairly certain not one voted for him. Come to think of it, I have never heard anyone mention O'Malley in "real life", good or bad.
Your instincts are probably correct on the second point, although there are some posters that voted for him under the "lesser of two evils" voting philosophy and don't defend him as much as pointing out why they find him better than the alternative.

As for the second, the Governor comes up in my social circles all the time. Granted, my friends and family are pretty wonky, so we aren't the best sample. "Downstate" or "Annapolis" are more general slurs used quiet frequently up here towards downstate Maryland politics.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Most people who live in the suburbs or well outside cities do so because they do not want to live where the crime is higher. When mass transit expands out to these suburbs, it makes it easier for people to commute to their jobs, if they work in the city, but it also has the unintended consequence of making it easier for the criminals to expand their source of victims. If you think I am wrong, just look at what happened to the businesses at the Cromwell Station Area when the light rail was extended and terminated there.

Instead of increasing the value of property when mass transit expands to your area, you might experience a lowering of your value.

I can picture O'Malley wringing his hands, saying to himself, "You can try to leave the area, but I will still come after your money, wherever you go!"

Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Ay Jayy most people I know who lived in Rockville before the new developments liked it better back then. There was less traffic and congestion. My family members who live in MoCo never go to ROckville TOwn Center anymore because they have to pay for parking which is ridiculous in a suburban area. That is something I refuse to do. Here in Baltimore County that kind of thing is still mostly unheard of. My parents now go to the Twinbrook library even though its a farther drive because the Rockville library no longer has free parking. All that density and overcrowding is not a good thing.

If Montgomery COunty wants mass transit, and PG too they should pay for it themsleves. If Northern Virginia can use their local taxes to fund transportation I don't know why PG and MoCo can't, and must increase the gas taxes of drivers in Cumberland and Salisbury and Westminster to pay for it. The only reason the gas tax was increased was to pay for mass transit. In Maryland without these mass transit ssytems our gas taxes would be much lower. We are HEAVILY overtaxed and overregulated compared to Virginia, North Carolina. South Carolina, and even West Virginia.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,016,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ay Jayy most people I know who lived in Rockville before the new developments liked it better back then. There was less traffic and congestion. My family members who live in MoCo never go to ROckville TOwn Center anymore because they have to pay for parking which is ridiculous in a suburban area. That is something I refuse to do. Here in Baltimore County that kind of thing is still mostly unheard of. My parents now go to the Twinbrook library even though its a farther drive because the Rockville library no longer has free parking. All that density and overcrowding is not a good thing.
Technically, Rockville is a incorporate city with its own local government. The people you know don't speak for everyone else.

The overcrowding isn't the result of density, its the increase in population. The same thing is going on in Germantown, right up the road from Rockville. Rockville is not that far from D.C. Many people will find the close proximity to DC to be appealing which will bring in the population.

"Free" parking is being paid for one way or another. You just don't realized it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or