U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 56,343 times
Default Best school district in Maryland to work in

Hi everyone,
I currently work in Fairfax County Public Schools and I hate it.. it's a huge bureaucracy with WAY too many policies/rules and micromanagement.. It's also overwhelmingly huge. I live in Maryland (Silver Spring) and my fiance works in Baltimore.

I want to find a job in one of the public school districts in Maryland, but I'm not sure which one would be best. I'm looking for a smaller, more personable district that is (hopefully) closer to Baltimore. I do NOT want to work in Baltimore City Schools or even Baltimore County.. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm flexible about commuting, as I do it currently.. Except I take the 495 on a daily basis, and it's horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM

598 posts, read 395,929 times
Howard County seems like a good bet. Montgomery and parts of Frederick and Anne Arundel counties are also not too bad, though I'd go for HoCo if I were you.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM

16,397 posts, read 15,167,019 times
The Metro DC systems are all intensely bureaucratic and the organization of MSDE is top down driven. What makes you crazy in Fairfax will drive you over the edge in MD.

The systems on the Eastern Shore and up in Western MD are smaller and less bureaucratic, although there is still some of that, but they're rural, generally poor and don't pay as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 519,163 times
What do you teach in Fairfax? Does Fairfax County still have Monday afternoons without students for planning and paperwork? I don't know any system in Maryland that does that. I don't think any system in the DC area doesn't have bureaucracy and micromanagement. In the best schools the local administration runs interferance for their staff. But those aren't the schools they will have openings in. teachers get into schools like that and STAY. the schools they will have openings in will be the ones with lousy priniciplals, problem parents, etc. Fairfax was a system people dreamed about working in.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM

350 posts, read 512,805 times
Howard County. But everyone wants to work there, so you may need to settle for Frederick or Carroll.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone! I am a school psychologist, so I basically test students, do counseling, meet with parents/teachers, etc.. Sit in A LOT of meetings. I just find Fairfax County to be overwhelming and WAY too bureaucratic. I will accept a lower salary to have piece of mind in a smaller district.. Some of the ones I was considering (but don't know too much about) are Harford County, Carroll County, Howard County, PG County, and Charles County.

I know that Montgomery (where we currently live) is considered the "sister" to Fairfax County, so I've purposely been avoiding it. I've also heard that Fairfax County is a "dream" to work in, but I just find it too enormous and top-down.. There really isn't any room for individuality or ideas.. It's all about following their rules and policies and not questioning anything. I feel like it's a giant educational corporation. I joke that it's the "Bank of America" of school districts.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM

I also wanted to add that I would LOVE to work in Howard County, but I know how competitive they are.. I applied to them last year, but they just threw my application aside because I didn't have 5+ years of experience and I am not bi-lingual.. (they can afford to be choosy!). They also only hire a few people at a time. Fairfax hires people in large bunches of 20 or more.. the larger districts are easier to get hired in for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland