U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM

481 posts, read 701,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have known some Montgomery County people to outright reject any "Maryland" association at all.

Here is a conversation I had with one guy

Q: "Aren't you from Maryland?"
A: "No. I live in Silver Spring.
Q: 'Oh, so you are a Washingtonian?"
A: "No, the Washingtonian is a magazine. I am a DCite."

Granted this same guy was scared to death when he came to visit me in Cumberland because he saw some pro-gun bumper stickers on trucks. His world has very little to do with Maryland, and everything to do to with greater D.C.

But, that is just one perspective. Any county that large is going to have a variety of opinions and identity.

This is soooooo TRUE.........I know a lot of people that say that.......They recognize D.C. before Maryland......Many are from Montgomery County and Prince George County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM

607 posts, read 1,044,948 times
Having lived in Bethesda in the past, most people from there do consider themselves Marylanders (and I lived about 3 blocks away from the border of DC). However, when it comes to other areas like Potomac and Silver Spring (especially the latter, it seems), they consider themselves "DCites" or "DC residents." I don't know, it just seems pretty split to me.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

39 posts, read 74,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Montgomery County has without a doubt seen its peak and is now on the downhill slide. Except for the few pockets of rich neighborhoods, the county is becoming more and more infested with the lowest common denominator from other states and countries. They've heard about Montgomery County, have specifically sought it out to live when they came to the US, but did not leave behind their dastardly cultures. Zero loyalty to the United States. English is an afterthought. (Ask me how many times i've seen the "Trinidad Is My Land" bumper sticker). And for that reason (mark my words) Montgomery County will continue to slide into the abyss of an overpopulated cultural cesspool of wannabe's and takers. White Flight has taken root in MontCo and it wont' stop until the County is PG's bastardized cousin. Bet on it.
This post is extremely ignorant.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,275,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
And you provide no evidence rebutting my assertions. Why is that?

Old 04-20-2013, 03:13 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 88,811 times
I live in Maryland, I moved to MoCo a little over a year ago and not only did I choose Maryland vs DC or Virginia, I proudly consider myself a "Marylander." If people think the taxes are too high or their neighbors aren't "real" enough for them, they can go right on down to the Commonwealth of Virginia and talk lineage and outsiders with them. This is a strawman argument all the way.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,899,546 times
Up in the Baltimore area many people view Montgomery County as part of Washington. It may be in the state of Maryland but it's something entirely different from other regions of the state.

There's something to be said that if Montgomery County was removed from the equation the political scene of Maryland would look quite different. It wouldn't be so staunchly Democratic and a number of governor's elections would have easily gone for the Republican candidate without the Montgomery vote tipping the balance for the Democrats. The state's political identity would be Democrat-lite rather than deeply blue Democrat.

Maryland is a fractured state, much more so than one would think given the small size. The state has three distinct regions: Eastern Shore, Central Maryland and Western Maryland, which are all different from one another. Then you have the two main cities: Baltimore and Washington (or rather, the Washington suburbs) which are also quite different from each other. Many states, despite their huge size, manage to evoke a notion of a commonly held state culture or heritage (Texas and California come to mind) but Maryland is not one of them.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,035,460 times
Growing up in DC we never claimed Montgomery county or PG county to be apart of us. DC is DC and thats it. MoCo are PG are apart of Maryland and us DC natives will not let anyone forget that. MoCo and PG may be different than Baltimore but that doesn't mean anything because the same thing exists in PA and NY. Philly and Pittsburgh are nothing alike and NYC has nothing in common with the rest of the state. Just like NoVa is nothing like Richmond and southside VA. People in PG and MoCo come off as Maryland to me, you gotta be from DC to understand. I go to the DMV, not the MVA. I have nothing against MD though, I love Baltimore its my favorite city and Greenbelt is my favorite suburb.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
Hate to say it but he's right. Mongomery county feels like an east coast California these days. Hispanics have taken over a good portion of the county and Ethopians, Asians, and Indians are booming in the county. The dream act did it for the county and its ultra liberal agenda will make the county unsustainable and expect segregation to rise and racial tension to rise because in my opinion, Montgomery county isn't really a place for black and whites, just foriegners. Whenever I'm on a bus in MoCo whether its Silver Spring or Rockville, the bus driver and myself are the only black people on the bus and the rest of the people are a world tour, Africans, Latinos, Asians, etc....

and I hope nobody brings up Ike Leggett.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM

15,760 posts, read 18,398,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Hate to say it but he's right. Mongomery county feels like an east coast California these days. Hispanics have taken over a good portion of the county and Ethopians, Asians, and Indians are booming in the county. The dream act did it for the county and its ultra liberal agenda will make the county unsustainable and expect segregation to rise and racial tension to rise because in my opinion, Montgomery county isn't really a place for black and whites, just foriegners. Whenever I'm on a bus in MoCo whether its Silver Spring or Rockville, the bus driver and myself are the only black people on the bus and the rest of the people are a world tour, Africans, Latinos, Asians, etc....
You say all this as if it's a bad thing. Wow, but I'll take some spice and variety in my life - give me all the ethnic food for sure. This is the trend in every large metro area in the United States today. People need to stop living in the past.

Besides, there are plenty of whitebread places to live in the county as well if that's what somebody wants. lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You say all this as if it's a bad thing. Wow, but I'll take some spice and variety in my life - give me all the ethnic food for sure. This is the trend in every large metro area in the United States today. People need to stop living in the past.

Besides, there are plenty of whitebread places to live in the county as well if that's what somebody wants. lol.
I dont see this trend happening in Baltimore, Philly or Boston. Outside of California and NYC area, this region is way too transplanted and most people in this area aren't from here nor do they have roots. A lot of transplant refuse to assimilate to American culture and thus, you have entire areas that are strictly Spanish oriented or other international ethicities. If its one thing I can say its that black people and white people for the most part are used to each other, this country has been black and white since before its founding. Now these days you have all these other different types of people over here living the "American Dream" when they have only been here for 10-20 years or less. I don't mean to turn this into a race thread but its the truth, black people (non ethnic) never had a chance, not like these "New Americans". Black people have waited decades and centuries to receive the rights they deserve while other people can just hop borders and get American rights. Illegals can now get a MD drivers license an they get in state tuition and other luxuries that shouldn't even be on the table. Like I said Montgomery county has seen its good days, I just hope the rest of Maryland doesn't go down under too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or