U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
 
544 posts, read 855,782 times
Reputation: 492

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You say all this as if it's a bad thing.
Diversity can go both ways. America as a whole has been remarkably good about accepting new cultures and assimilating them to our way of life while still allowing immigrants to keep their national heritage. What you're seeing in Montgomery is the ghettoization of immigrant cultures who are not assimilating themselves. How are you going to learn English when you go to a school that has ESL classes and where 90% of the kids are Hispanic? Or, if you're older, you live in a neighborhood that is 90% Hispanic?

Will this change in a few generations? Maybe. Or maybe because this generation of immigrants has confined themselves to interacting only with their own, it wont. It's hard to say at this point.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
 
581 posts, read 953,965 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I dont see this trend happening in Baltimore, Philly or Boston. Outside of California and NYC area, this region is way too transplanted and most people in this area aren't from here nor do they have roots. A lot of transplant refuse to assimilate to American culture and thus, you have entire areas that are strictly Spanish oriented or other international ethicities. If its one thing I can say its that black people and white people for the most part are used to each other, this country has been black and white since before its founding. Now these days you have all these other different types of people over here living the "American Dream" when they have only been here for 10-20 years or less. I don't mean to turn this into a race thread but its the truth, black people (non ethnic) never had a chance, not like these "New Americans". Black people have waited decades and centuries to receive the rights they deserve while other people can just hop borders and get American rights. Illegals can now get a MD drivers license an they get in state tuition and other luxuries that shouldn't even be on the table. Like I said Montgomery county has seen its good days, I just hope the rest of Maryland doesn't go down under too.
This comment is so ridiculous I don't even know how to respond.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM
 
6,209 posts, read 6,589,713 times
Reputation: 3091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is possible to identify with both. Most people I know who live in Montgomery County consider themselves to be Marylanders as well as Washingtonians or "DC area" residents.

Also, keep in mind that the current boundaries of Washington, D.C. used to be entirely a part of Maryland once upon a time.
That is true. Trivia: Before Maryland seeded part of the state to DC, guess what county it was of Md? The answer would be Montgomery's original name. It will surprise many.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Baltimore / Montgomery County, MD
1,196 posts, read 2,009,960 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Diversity can go both ways. America as a whole has been remarkably good about accepting new cultures and assimilating them to our way of life while still allowing immigrants to keep their national heritage. What you're seeing in Montgomery is the ghettoization of immigrant cultures who are not assimilating themselves. How are you going to learn English when you go to a school that has ESL classes and where 90% of the kids are Hispanic? Or, if you're older, you live in a neighborhood that is 90% Hispanic?

Will this change in a few generations? Maybe. Or maybe because this generation of immigrants has confined themselves to interacting only with their own, it wont. It's hard to say at this point.
Exactly!

Listen my wife is part Cuban and Puerto Rican so I've learned some Spanish over the past year or so. I've also been introduced to a variety of Spanish culture and I can tell the difference between different Spanish ethicities just by looking at a person. In this area a lot of black people and Hispanics do not like each other. A lot of black people refer to Hispanics as "migos" and label them all as Mexican. Hispanics in this area talk a lot of **** in their language thinking people can't understand them. Over in NoVa along Columbia Pike and Culmore those Hispanics over there DO NOT like black people and don't let one of them see you trying to hit on or talk to one of their women.

Anyways a lot Hispanics in this area refuse to assimilate and I hate it. They only live amongst each other, shop at certain stores, eat at certain stores, its like they have their own little world and its been times where I'd have to almost fight because if certain things that I've been called in Spanish. Also Africans do the same as well, they stay within their own clic and thats it, and they think that they are better than regular black people.

If anyone comes in here saying that black people stick to their own kind as well I would disagree. Notice that black people in this area, for the most part, live in the cheapest areas, which are in PG county and NE/SE DC. We don't choose to live around each other we just do because if anything, black people don't really like each other either why you think its so much black on black crime or why you think black people hate on each other all the time.

NYC has true diversity. People up there assimilate quick, learn English, and develop a New York accent. Immigrants down here just don't give a ****.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Baltimore / Montgomery County, MD
1,196 posts, read 2,009,960 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is true. Trivia: Before Maryland seeded part of the state to DC, guess what county it was of Md? The answer would be Montgomery's original name. It will surprise many.
Doesn't matter. Growing up in DC, especially the DC grew up in during the 90's and early 00's, is very different than Maryland. I remember begging my mother to move us out Maryland because the QOL was so much better out there. Growing up we always thought Maryland (PG and MoCo) was soft compared to us and Virginia was "Leave it to Beaver" land. Like I said before DC is DC and MD is MD. I don't care whose land DC sits on and what it used to be. If that the case then this is no mans land because before Columbus came over this was nothing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
 
6,209 posts, read 6,589,713 times
Reputation: 3091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Doesn't matter. Growing up in DC, especially the DC grew up in during the 90's and early 00's, is very different than Maryland. I remember begging my mother to move us out Maryland because the QOL was so much better out there. Growing up we always thought Maryland (PG and MoCo) was soft compared to us and Virginia was "Leave it to Beaver" land. Like I said before DC is DC and MD is MD. I don't care whose land DC sits on and what it used to be. If that the case then this is no mans land because before Columbus came over this was nothing.
Chill, its just a trivia question. Do you know the answer? Anyway, I was born in DC in the 50s, lived in DC until I was 6. Moved to PG, where I grew up. Early 80s I moved to Montgomery, the late 80s I moved to Fairfax. Southern Maryland may be my next stop as soon as you buy my house in Fairfax!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,419,161 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Exactly!

Listen my wife is part Cuban and Puerto Rican so I've learned some Spanish over the past year or so. I've also been introduced to a variety of Spanish culture and I can tell the difference between different Spanish ethicities just by looking at a person. In this area a lot of black people and Hispanics do not like each other. A lot of black people refer to Hispanics as "migos" and label them all as Mexican. Hispanics in this area talk a lot of **** in their language thinking people can't understand them. Over in NoVa along Columbia Pike and Culmore those Hispanics over there DO NOT like black people and don't let one of them see you trying to hit on or talk to one of their women.

Anyways a lot Hispanics in this area refuse to assimilate and I hate it. They only live amongst each other, shop at certain stores, eat at certain stores, its like they have their own little world and its been times where I'd have to almost fight because if certain things that I've been called in Spanish. Also Africans do the same as well, they stay within their own clic and thats it, and they think that they are better than regular black people.

If anyone comes in here saying that black people stick to their own kind as well I would disagree. Notice that black people in this area, for the most part, live in the cheapest areas, which are in PG county and NE/SE DC. We don't choose to live around each other we just do because if anything, black people don't really like each other either why you think its so much black on black crime or why you think black people hate on each other all the time.
In my experience, this doesn't seem to be a big of a problem in rural areas, especially in Frederick, Carroll and Baltimore counties. But then again these places are less diverse and there are more natives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM
 
479 posts, read 695,508 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Doesn't matter. Growing up in DC, especially the DC grew up in during the 90's and early 00's, is very different than Maryland. I remember begging my mother to move us out Maryland because the QOL was so much better out there. Growing up we always thought Maryland (PG and MoCo) was soft compared to us and Virginia was "Leave it to Beaver" land. Like I said before DC is DC and MD is MD. I don't care whose land DC sits on and what it used to be. If that the case then this is no mans land because before Columbus came over this was nothing.


we never said we relate to the whole D.C......that where your getting it confuse.......Montgomery county isn't trying to act like "SOUTHEAST" of D.C........we relate more to Georgetown, Palisade, Chevy Chase D.C. part........I know many people from D.C. who say they look at us more D.C. ( in terms of vision)..........so your comment is ignorant and only speaking from black opinion of D.C.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,187 posts, read 21,763,813 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You and other folks on this thread see development, and automatically think that things are hunky-dorey. Meanwhile, 33% of Montgomery County kids qualify for Free and Reduced Meals. A whopping 1/3 in one of the most affluent counties in the nation and the numbers are increasing. So while you may feel insulated by the mere fact that Montgomery County is Montgomery County, the statistics don't back up your obvious belief the MontCo is a model county who will never see the ill effects of lowest common denominator immigration and other ills that come with unchecked liberal polices.
When people began to settle in Maryland, they focused on areas in southern Maryland, the Eastern Shore, and central Maryland. So to say that MoCo, PG, and Baltimore are not Maryland is plain ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is possible to identify with both. Most people I know who live in Montgomery County consider themselves to be Marylanders as well as Washingtonians or "DC area" residents.

Also, keep in mind that the current boundaries of Washington, D.C. used to be entirely a part of Maryland once upon a time.
Maryland and Virginia donated land to what was to become D.C., but D.C. later gave back the portion the received from Virginia, to Virginia. D.C. is it's own thing and nothing outside of its boundaries are a part of it outside of simply being suburbs. Yet, those suburbs are connected to D.C., so what is wrong with identifying with D.C.? I would imagine it is more of a transplant thing, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most people in Montgomery County do not associate with Maryland just like many Northern Virginians dont' really call themselves Virginians. IF you ask someone from MoCo where they're from most likely they'll say they are from DC, not "Maryland".

And yet despite this, Montgomery County controls the state of Maryland politically. Now all of us have to see a gas tax increase just so they can build the Purple Line. And all of us saw the toll hikes just so they can have the ICC.
If I lived in a suburb of D.C., I would probably tell people I live in D.C. for the sake of convenience depending on how close to D.C. I lived. When I lived in Boston, people said they were from Boston, or if across the Charles, from Cambridge. The only people I ever heard say they were from Massachusetts were those from Western Mass, and that is what they called it. I am from Sacramento, California and when asked, I simply saw Sacramento. Sometimes I will also add "Northern California, or Nor Cal" to distinguish a difference between Southern California. That is how it is, most people claim they are from a particular location first, but if it really came down to it residents in MoCo would at least admit they are physically in Maryland or from Maryland if born here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I dont see this trend happening in Baltimore, Philly or Boston. Outside of California and NYC area, this region is way too transplanted and most people in this area aren't from here nor do they have roots. A lot of transplant refuse to assimilate to American culture and thus, you have entire areas that are strictly Spanish oriented or other international ethicities. If its one thing I can say its that black people and white people for the most part are used to each other, this country has been black and white since before its founding. Now these days you have all these other different types of people over here living the "American Dream" when they have only been here for 10-20 years or less. I don't mean to turn this into a race thread but its the truth, black people (non ethnic) never had a chance, not like these "New Americans". Black people have waited decades and centuries to receive the rights they deserve while other people can just hop borders and get American rights. Illegals can now get a MD drivers license an they get in state tuition and other luxuries that shouldn't even be on the table. Like I said Montgomery county has seen its good days, I just hope the rest of Maryland doesn't go down under too.
As someone who lived in Boston (prior to moving to Maryland), it simply can't happen there to any large scale as it does in other parts of the U.S. For one, Boston is rather small geographically, yet there are tons of people living there. So competition for housing is scarce, fierce, expensive, and pathetic if you ask me. Many landlords want proof of employment/you can afford rent and a co-signer even if you over the age of 30. Landlords in Boston have the luxury of not having to settle. Then, there are all of the college students, an estimated 250,000 or so. Not all of them live in dorms, so they compete for housing, too. Not to mention, those college kids take any and all jobs that the poorer immigrants would normally seek out. As mentioned, I am from California, my experience is that only recent arrivals "stick to their own" while their children generally grow up Americanized.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM
 
39 posts, read 74,567 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Hate to say it but he's right. Mongomery county feels like an east coast California these days. Hispanics have taken over a good portion of the county and Ethopians, Asians, and Indians are booming in the county. The dream act did it for the county and its ultra liberal agenda will make the county unsustainable and expect segregation to rise and racial tension to rise because in my opinion, Montgomery county isn't really a place for black and whites, just foriegners. Whenever I'm on a bus in MoCo whether its Silver Spring or Rockville, the bus driver and myself are the only black people on the bus and the rest of the people are a world tour, Africans, Latinos, Asians, etc....

and I hope nobody brings up Ike Leggett.
In theory, if this is actually true, it would be quite ironic. Montgomery County, at one point an overwhelmingly White county where Blacks were not so welcomed....now neither Whites or African-Americans welcome. Ha.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top