U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of These Upset you the most?? (PICK FIVE)
Illegal Alien Dream Act (in-state tuition) 22 47.83%
Illegal Alien Drivers Licenses 18 39.13%
Death penalty repeal 9 19.57%
Gas tax increase 18 39.13%
income tax increase 17 36.96%
alcohol tax increase 11 23.91%
cigarette tax increase 8 17.39%
flush tax increase 8 17.39%
gay marriage 6 13.04%
PlanMaryland/high-density development 8 17.39%
Redistricting map/gerrymandering 12 26.09%
Wind farm tax 11 23.91%
Toll Increases 12 26.09%
Gun restrictions 20 43.48%
Union Policies/collecting bargaining issues 8 17.39%
Cell Phone Driving Ban (now a primary offense) 4 8.70%
Opposition to natural gas drilling and manufacturing 6 13.04%
Support for Obamacare 10 21.74%
I actually am okay with all of the above...... 11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,625,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Someone else who looks at raw vote totals nationally for local elections.

You live in MD so you know about gerrymandering: 2000 House members, 4D-4R. 2012 House members 7D-1R.
If MOM had known Mr. Delaney would run as strongly as he did, they might have gone with the gerrymander that allowed for the 8-0 sweep!

Of course, MOM was trying to hand the seat to Del. Garagiola, probably never saw Mr. Delaney coming. I know I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM

32,125 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If MOM had known Mr. Delaney would run as strongly as he did, they might have gone with the gerrymander that allowed for the 8-0 sweep!

Of course, MOM was trying to hand the seat to Del. Garagiola, probably never saw Mr. Delaney coming. I know I didn't.

No one saw Delaney as a viable candidate when he started. Garagiola got arrogant.

It would be hard to devise a 1st district (Eastern Shore, mostly) to go Democratic by the numbers that would get by Court review. There was talk about putting the Lower Shore in with SoMD (like it used to be) but SoMD is generally Republican and conservative.

You'll have an interesting elction out there next time. Dan Bongino has announced he's running against Delaney even though he lives in Anne Arundel County and has no intention of moving.

Then there's Alex Mooney who moved to WVA so he can run there.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No one saw Delaney as a viable candidate when he started. Garagiola got arrogant.

It would be hard to devise a 1st district (Eastern Shore, mostly) to go Democratic by the numbers that would get by Court review. There was talk about putting the Lower Shore in with SoMD (like it used to be) but SoMD is generally Republican and conservative.

You'll have an interesting elction out there next time. Dan Bongino has announced he's running against Delaney even though he lives in Anne Arundel County and has no intention of moving.

Then there's Alex Mooney who moved to WVA so he can run there.
Not too keen on the carpetbagging. I gave Mr. Delaney a "pass" because he was a few blocks away from a very arbitrary boundary for the new 6th District (like it or hate it,)

I doubt I will give someone from Anne Arundel the same benefit of the doubt. It would seem to me to be a transparent attempt to win a seat in Congress at any cost, rather than running to represent your community. I actually have no real objections to Mr. Delaney. Garagiola's empty negative attacks against him, and Delaney's refusing to let it rattle him, actually warmed me up to him.

I think the ship has sailed on any sort of social conservative issues being deciding by Congress, so I am willing to cross the aisle for the more effective legislator.

Not sure what Mooney is thinking. I don't think you can just show up in WV and be trusted with that sort of authority. I know both Byrd and Rockefeller weren't born there, but they paid their dues before seeking federal office.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM

6,553 posts, read 11,629,504 times
What they did with Delaney was disgusting. I do NOT think there is any possible way Delaney can represent the interests of Western Marylanders. The idea of natural gas drilling and coal mining offends the liberal sensibilities of his base in Potomac and Bethesda. Not to mention he doesn't even live in his district. He is just a corrupt, self serving decevious politician and typical Liberal Democrat, and typical Montgomery County Democrat.

Now in only a few days, we see the gas prices increasing AND the tolls increasing.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
What they did with Delaney was disgusting. I do NOT think there is any possible way Delaney can represent the interests of Western Marylanders. The idea of natural gas drilling and coal mining offends the liberal sensibilities of his base in Potomac and Bethesda. Not to mention he doesn't even live in his district. He is just a corrupt, self serving decevious politician and typical Liberal Democrat, and typical Montgomery County Democrat.

Now in only a few days, we see the gas prices increasing AND the tolls increasing.
Mr. Delaney isn't legislating that way. He is a freshman, but he is trying to get a bi-partisan infrastructure bill passed that would use no federal money. There is no guarantee it will become a law, but it is a clever idea and shows that he is working across the aisle.

Building an Infrastructure Bank Without Government Funds

Mr. Delaney also held a phone Q&A session about veterans issues and whatever else constitutes wanted to talk about. I only had the time to listen to some of it, but people from the GOP parts of the 6th District were asking many of the questions. A small gesture, but something Mr. Delaney didn't need to do.

Mr. Delaney isn't really a MD politics guy so much as he is a D.C. politics guy, former fundraiser and money bundler for the Clintons. He isn't part of the Annapolis gang, and he isn't a career politician. He makes his money in business. I am not going to assume any negative character traits based on his party affiliation.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM

544 posts, read 855,321 times
Quote:
I do NOT think there is any possible way Delaney can represent the interests of Western Marylanders.
There's no way anyone can represent a district as big as they made for him. That said, he'll do a better job at it than Garagiola would have. And as a side note, there was no way that Bartlett would be able to represent the interests of those of us in Gaithersburg and Germantown.

Not that any of this matters, its not like Congress passes anything anyways.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
There's no way anyone can represent a district as big as they made for him. That said, he'll do a better job at it than Garagiola would have. And as a side note, there was no way that Bartlett would be able to represent the interests of those of us in Gaithersburg and Germantown.

Not that any of this matters, its not like Congress passes anything anyways.
I have always contended that even the old 6th district wasn't a natural alliance of common need either. Sure, it was all GOP country, but a Carroll County farmer, Northern Baltimore County exurbanite, and unemployed blue collar Allegany County breadwinner don't always have common legislative goals.

Mr. Bartlett was a perfect example of this. He was a great delegate for the "no government needed here" portions of his district, but I always thought his general RoscNO Bartlett approach to government did nothing to serve us out my way. He was in the House for a LONG time, and never managed anything approaching clout, influence, or the ability to effectively fight for federal funds that we saw go right across the river to WV.

So, there really isn't any Congressional District in Maryland that can be drawn to serve the needs of Western Maryland alone, we are always going to be paired with another region of the state. I think we are fortunate that Mr. Delaney won, and not Garagiola. The later would have almost certainly been a Annapolis lackey, which hasn't served us well recently. I think Mr. Delaney is going to be a bigger fish than that, and isn't beholden to MOM or the General Assembly for his success.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 AM

6,553 posts, read 11,629,504 times
As long as the Montgomery County liberals are in Delaney's district, he will never support the natural gas drilling and coal mining that Western Maryland needs. Most of those liberals are openly in favor of Obama's war on coal and natural gas, and his opposition to any form of domestic energy production that's not wind or solar. Even though Rockville and Gaithersburg actually have a LOT to gain from more conservative politics. Those areas are wracked by illegal immigration and high taxes and the county government has made it a sanctuary county for illegal aliens while residents pay the price. Transit oriented development has completely ruined the quality of life in Rockville. I have family there who now want to move away because of the increased density and population.

At the same time I've sure MoCo voters would want more federal funding for mass transit, while Western Marylanders would like more funding toward highways with the national gas tax. Rural states already do not get their fair share. Its taken West Virginia decades to get funding for the COalfields Expressway while New York City gets its way whenever they demand more federal funding for new subway upgrades. Everyone saw how quickly the Baltimore Red Line was approved in comparison to the Coalfields Expressway. I also think Interstate 68 through Cumberland needs a major upgrade into a wider, more modern freeway and they need to return commercial air service to the Cumberland area. The Maryland Democrats support policies that kill private sector jobs such as the opposition to natural gas, the environmental regulations, high taxes, high minimum wage, etc.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
As long as the Montgomery County liberals are in Delaney's district, he will never support the natural gas drilling and coal mining that Western Maryland needs. Most of those liberals are openly in favor of Obama's war on coal and natural gas, and his opposition to any form of domestic energy production that's not wind or solar. Even though Rockville and Gaithersburg actually have a LOT to gain from more conservative politics. Those areas are wracked by illegal immigration and high taxes and the county government has made it a sanctuary county for illegal aliens while residents pay the price. Transit oriented development has completely ruined the quality of life in Rockville. I have family there who now want to move away because of the increased density and population.

At the same time I've sure MoCo voters would want more federal funding for mass transit, while Western Marylanders would like more funding toward highways with the national gas tax. Rural states already do not get their fair share. Its taken West Virginia decades to get funding for the COalfields Expressway while New York City gets its way whenever they demand more federal funding for new subway upgrades. Everyone saw how quickly the Baltimore Red Line was approved in comparison to the Coalfields Expressway. I also think Interstate 68 through Cumberland needs a major upgrade into a wider, more modern freeway and they need to return commercial air service to the Cumberland area. The Maryland Democrats support policies that kill private sector jobs such as the opposition to natural gas, the environmental regulations, high taxes, high minimum wage, etc.
I dunno man. Here was a chance for this alleged "uber-liberal" to sponsor an anti-coal mining bill, he didn't do it.

Liberal Bills Congressman Delaney has failed to support through cosponsorship:

H.R. 526

H.R. 526, the ACHE Act, would create a moratorium on the practice of mountaintop removal coal mining - at least until scientific studies of the health impact of the mining procedure could be completed. The Appalachian Communities Health Emergency Act notes that Peer-reviewed scientific research and reports have raised serious concerns about mountaintop removal mining with respect to elevated risks in categories of birth defects studied: circulatory/respiratory, central nervous system, musculoskeletal, and gastrointestinal. Mountaintop removal coal mining also destroys local ecosystems, filling in clean mountain streams with debris laced with heavy metals.

Rep. Delaney has failed to cosponsor H.R. 526.

Representative John Delaney of Maryland's Congressional District 6: Profile, Contact Information, News and Campaign Contribution Data from That's My Congress

This site rates his "liberal score" as a 42/100. They describe him as "weakly liberal."

My opinion may change as Mr. Delaney gets a longer voting history, but for right now it is a big stretch to claim the man is a wacko liberal out to destroy Western Maryland. I live here, that isn't what I am seeing. Our issues on energy production have always been with the State, not the Feds. And they really aren't that bad for now. Land use, development restrictions, and taxes are our main beef at the moment, the coal and gas aren't going anywhere.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,149,622 times
He's been too gentlemanly toward the right wing crybabies over the years, his most shameful inaction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or