U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of These Upset you the most?? (PICK FIVE)
Illegal Alien Dream Act (in-state tuition) 22 47.83%
Illegal Alien Drivers Licenses 18 39.13%
Death penalty repeal 9 19.57%
Gas tax increase 18 39.13%
income tax increase 17 36.96%
alcohol tax increase 11 23.91%
cigarette tax increase 8 17.39%
flush tax increase 8 17.39%
gay marriage 6 13.04%
PlanMaryland/high-density development 8 17.39%
Redistricting map/gerrymandering 12 26.09%
Wind farm tax 11 23.91%
Toll Increases 12 26.09%
Gun restrictions 20 43.48%
Union Policies/collecting bargaining issues 8 17.39%
Cell Phone Driving Ban (now a primary offense) 4 8.70%
Opposition to natural gas drilling and manufacturing 6 13.04%
Support for Obamacare 10 21.74%
I actually am okay with all of the above...... 11 23.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times

Advertisements

O'Malley basically pushed his entire liberal agenda on us. Now which of these do you disagree with the MOST???? I personally disagree with ALL of these things.....though gay marriage merely upset me while most of the other things angered me....while the gas tax and the illegal immigraiton ENRAGED me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM

I forgot to add medical marijuana on there, plus the pit bull laws. I knew the list would not be complete, the bad things by O'Malley is an endless list, even longer than the reasons for opposing Obama! I am also against medical marijuana for moral reasons and because of the increase crime and diversion that will no doubt happen. There is already a problem with prescription drug abuse we don't want medical marijuana on top of that.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,015,517 times
Death Penalty - As long as they are no longer part of society, I don't care whether they are dead or alive.

Gas tax - I understand the need for increase gas tax but dislike the fact that it had to come down to this. I don't think all of the funding will go towards the two light rail projects only but gas tax money should go towards maintaining roads. I think both rails are needed.

Gay marriage - If two people of the same-sex want to get married, that's their problem.

PlanMaryland - I'm in favor of it and I don't live in urban area. O'Malley gets no credit from this. This isn't his idea. He just repackaged it with a new name. I don't see the point of clearing out woods when there are locations available that's been ignored Most of the development occurs in the core of a town. I see nothing wrong with a town trying to improve their economic situation. Building outward is inefficient, creating sprawl and the hidden costs that comes with it.

Redistricting maps - I would like to hear what others have to say instead of them being ignored. Although, Republicans in Maryland need to appeal to a wider base, they may have some ideas that could be useful and should be heard. I still feel they are just as responsible for the shape Maryland.

Toll increase - Don't like them either but roads and bridges don't maintain themselves. The ICC isn't the only construction handled by the MdTA. You have the ETL lanes along I-95 north of Baltimore as well. The MdTA also recently completed redecking the Thomas Hatem Bridge. Since the MdTA maintain all the toll facilities, I feel they can do whatever they want with their money. You are paying to use the facilities operated by them.. Maryland has EZ Pass discount plans for all facilities except for the ICC. I think that justifies the $1.50 fee. The MdTA roads are well maintained so I can't complain.

Gun restriction - Pointless. Gun restrictions does not address the real issue, people. People oppose to guns should stop wasting spending on commercials and studies on video games and do more research on the human brain. Video games and the media are not the problem, people are.

Cell Phone Driving Ban (now a primary offense) - I don't think people should be on the phone while driving anyway. Mostly every state have taken part of dealing with cell-phone bans. Virginia has also made cell phone driving ban a primary offense and increased the fines from $20 to $125 on the first offense. People should get off the phone and pay attention to the road and stop with the last second lane crossing and driving below the speed limit in the left lane.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,417,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am also against medical marijuana for moral reasons and because of the increase crime and diversion that will no doubt happen. There is already a problem with prescription drug abuse we don't want medical marijuana on top of that.
What are "moral reasons" and what do you mean by increase in crime and diversion? That has already been happening for a long time as we speak. Does leaving it banned stop anyone from dealing/making/doing it?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 AM

I think legalizing marijuana will only make it more available, though this doesn't upset me as much as the other. I personally put the Dream Act, licenses for illegals, the gas tax increase, PlanMaryland, and the toll increases.

The entire board of the Maryland Transportation Authority is appointed by the governor, most of them by O'Malley. So they do work for him, and he appointed them to carry out his orders and his ideas. If it wasn't for the ICC the tolls wouldn't have gone up THIS much. I think Montgomery and PG needs to pay for their own transportation, both mass transit and freeways using their own local funds the way Northern Virginia does. If Arlington and Fairfax can fund their part of the Metro without taking redistributed money from Lynchburg and Waynesboro than Bethesda and Gaithersburg should pay for their own things rather than ask people in Cambridge and Easton to pay for it. And the Bay Bridge was really built to accodomiate the Ocean City vacationiers and the business owners not Eastern Shore locals. That was also the reason for the Salisbury Bypass.

Baltimore City and PG County are violent because of the liberal judges that let people off easily and who did not use the death penalty even when it was on the books. Most of the killers in the city are repeat offenders. Like that timme when the man chased down and killed his wife on North Avenue in front of 100 witnesses and only got 20 years in prison. The rest was suspended. The 2nd amendment is not the reason the city has so much crime and violence. We need to bring back the death penalty, have judges that put people away for good and reduce illegal immigration if we are to reduce our crime rate.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,417,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think legalizing marijuana will only make it more available, though this doesn't upset me as much as the other.
You can't legislate morality. That is all I can say.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
You can't legislate morality. That is all I can say.
But man, do both sides keep trying. It's like they learned nothing from prohibition (not that I think alcohol is a "moral" issue but whatever).

Old 04-14-2013, 12:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,035,376 times
Where's that rain tax?

Out of the choices listed above, I'd have to say it's the gas tax and maybe the flush tax. I agree with O'Malley on most of these choices, just not the taxes and the toll increases.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
The Flush Tax was an Ehrlich initiative not one from O'Malley, to be fair to him. Ehrlich was almost universally hailed for it, too.

The problem was in the details, although everyone on sewer (and later septic) had to pay it the proceeds only went to the 60 or so (if I remember correctly) largest sewer treatment plants for the federally mandated Enhanced Nitrogen Removal process even though all sewer treatment plants were required to upgrade. The grants for failing septic upgrades was always in it even though originally those users didn't pay it.

To take care of those issues, plus a couple more such as the cost to do ENR was way more than originally estimated, O'Malley did ask the Legislature to raise the tax.

One good thing is that, unlike the gas tax and State Retirement System contributions, the Flush Tax is in a lockbox so it can only be used for the legislated activities of treatment plant upgrade bonds and septic upgrade grants and not to balance the General Fund.

As a note, hold onto whatever body part you wish to because sewer charges are going to double and likely double again over the next 10 tears or so.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,015,517 times
Quote:
It featured politicians shoveling dirt, posing for pictures and offering sound bites. It featured Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. announcing that Thursday’s ceremony was THE official groundbreaking for the Intercounty Connector highway. But others weren’t so sure.
Ehrlich (R) and supporters of the controversial $2.4 billion six-lane highway broke ground for a field office and staging area near Olney that will be used to test soil conditions along the road’s alignment.
Establishing the site is the first concrete step toward laying the 18 miles of asphalt that will connect Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.

Ehrlich declares ICC under way — again

The ICC broke ground while Ehrlich was governor and supported the roadway as much as O'Malley did.

More information on the funding for the ICC.

Quote:
The Ehrlich administration's plan for financing construction of the Intercounty Connector highway is in trouble in the General Assembly, with leading legislators questioning its heavy reliance on borrowing.

Defying warnings that they could be putting the project in jeopardy, lawmakers in both houses are drafting alternatives to the administration's proposal to use $1 billion in bonds backed by future federal highway aid to help pay for the highway.

ICC financing plan runs into Assembly snag - baltimoresun.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or