Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,054 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move into Hartford/Cecil county within the next month. Since we are not familiar with the area, we are going to lease for a year. We are young professionals and are looking for a reasonably priced townhome/apartment that is pet friendly. Are there areas we should stay away from? For instance, Elkton doesn't have the greatest reputation, but are there areas that are good? We are considering Port Deposit and North East as well. One of us will work in Aberdeen, but we want to be close commute to Delaware as well. Thanks for your input and recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:23 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsweetpea View Post
One of us will work in Aberdeen, but we want to be close commute to Delaware as well.
My favorite town is Havre de Grace, for its scenic beauty and historic charm. There seem to be some townhomes in reasonable price ranges.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,124 times
I have lived in Cecil County my entire life. I would stay far away from the Port Deposit area. It seems to attract more of the lower class people. North East isn't a bad area, and I think you could find a well-priced waterfront condo in the North East Isles neighborhood. Another great location is in Perryville. The town itself is nothing special but they do have some great waterfront condos and townhomes that are worth a look. As you stated earlier, it appears Elkton has a less than stellar reputation on these forums, and somewhat deservedly so. But honestly, as long as you are outside of town limits, it really isn't all that bad. I grew up in the Elk Neck area, and you'll be hardpressed to find an area much nicer in either Cecil of Harford counties.

Long story short, stay away from the following: Port Deposit, Town of Elkton, Edgewood, Aberdeen.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

13 posts, read 31,530 times
Default Second Vote for North East Isles

Cecil County is a beautiful place to live. From the horse farms and biking trails in the Fair Hill area to the waterfront along the Elk, North East, and Susquehanna rivers, the access to nature is second to none. While many of the towns in Cecil County have a small, but noticeable lower class element walking around (with the exception of Chesapeake City), I have never felt unsafe or threatened and all the towns, including Elkton, still maintain some charm. There are maybe three or four communities in the County that should be avoided (they are obvious), other than that Cecil County is a wonderful place and I second a vote for the townhomes in North East Isles. Elk Neck (an area with the same postal code as Elkton, but several miles outside of town limits) is also a fantastic area, but no townhomes or apartments.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM

108 posts, read 184,419 times
Havre de Grace is a VERY historic city. House prices seem to be coming down (finally!). I enjoy living/working here. I am looking to move elsewhere but not because I hate it here.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 23,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith025 View Post
I have lived in Cecil County my entire life. I would stay far away from the Port Deposit area. It seems to attract more of the lower class people. North East isn't a bad area, and I think you could find a well-priced waterfront condo in the North East Isles neighborhood. Another great location is in Perryville. The town itself is nothing special but they do have some great waterfront condos and townhomes that are worth a look. As you stated earlier, it appears Elkton has a less than stellar reputation on these forums, and somewhat deservedly so. But honestly, as long as you are outside of town limits, it really isn't all that bad. I grew up in the Elk Neck area, and you'll be hardpressed to find an area much nicer in either Cecil of Harford counties.

Long story short, stay away from the following: Port Deposit, Town of Elkton, Edgewood, Aberdeen.
Took the words right out of my mouth! I do enjoy Port Deposit, but I would never move there. I grew up in Bel Air and my vote would be for the North East area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland