Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

I just graduated in top of my class with several Academic Excellence Awards. I took a mock CPC Exam and got a 91% . I have been in Health care as a CNA for over six years! I look for jobs in Maryland and every one states I need at least One to two years Experience in medical office. I have training in office work through a supervising job. All of this is not good enough for them! I still get turned down. How on God's green Earth do I get the experience if you will not Hire me and train me!!!!! I would love to know the answer to this! You have to train the new college graduates in order for them to get the hands on experience! Come ON!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBC2013 View Post
I just graduated in top of my class...
What does that school say about placement and recruiting?
What does that school actually do about placement and recruiting?

Hope they didn't charge you too much.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Default My School

I have an excellent school. We work together at finding placement with a job in Maryland. The problem is that to get my foot in the door I may need to start off as a Medical Receptionist or In Medical Records, so that I can gain experience in this field I have went to school for. I will be taking my CPC exam coming up in May. When I get my license I can apply for Medical Billing and Coding jobs. The problem is everyone wants one to two years experience in Medical office. I have experience in the health care field as a CNA in nursing homes, Home care, agencies that sent me where ever i was needed. I also have experience in office as a supervisor so I am familiar with how things are done. No one wants to take the time to hire me and train me hands on! My question is how can you expect a college graduate get the hands on experience if you do not hire them and train them! Thank you for your reply though!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
The problem is that to get my foot in the door...
...is a problem that was clearly known to them in advance of taking your money.
They still took your money though. Right?

One more time:

Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,543 times
Quote:
I just graduated in top of my class with several Academic Excellence Awards. I took a mock CPC Exam and got a 91% . I have been in Health care as a CNA for over six years! I look for jobs in Maryland and every one states I need at least One to two years Experience in medical office. I have training in office work through a supervising job. All of this is not good enough for them! I still get turned down. How on God's green Earth do I get the experience if you will not Hire me and train me!!!!! I would love to know the answer to this! You have to train the new college graduates in order for them to get the hands on experience! Come ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you could be a part time volunteer in some administrative capacity in a hospital. Become acquainted with the place and the people and "network" a little.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 AM

131 posts, read 344,197 times
Quote:
The problem is that to get my foot in the door I may need to start off as a Medical Receptionist or In Medical Records, so that I can gain experience in this field I have went to school for.
So then do this? Problem solved.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM

167 posts, read 426,656 times
You can always work as a temp. Your basic necessities get paid while building experience and exposure to varied working environments.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM

I thank you all for your replies. I have tried medical receptionist and temps still nothing. I can not volunteer as my financial situation will not survive this. I have and I am still trying to find a job in this field any way I can. Still no luck. I have researched this problem and it is not just my profession but all college graduates can not find work for what they went to school for for the same reason. They want experience this is not fair to us college graduates! I personally do know what I am doing regarding my new profession! I am excellent at it. but I can not prove that unless I am hired. I am tried of fighting this......... I just want a job doing what I love medical Billing or Coding preferably Coding. thank you and have a wonderful evening.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...is a problem that was clearly known to them in advance of taking your money.
They still took your money though. Right?

One more time:

Sorry but I love my school. They are not the problem. I had a top notch education. I will not argue with you sir. Thank you....

Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
I don't live in Maryland, but know of several certified coders where I work. It's really tough to get started, but keep applying and don't give up. Don't know how long it's been since you graduated, but it may take some time. Also network with your local/national AHIMA and AAPC chapters/associations, and follow their forums. Good luck to you.

Last edited by smpliving; 05-04-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland