U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM

26,866 posts, read 57,900,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
My property taxes are over 5K...
This is on top of the massive income taxes
You live in one of the more expensive housing areas in the entire country.
You apparently earn a nice income.

Q: Could you earn that same income elsewhere?
If so, would the RE and income taxes be appreciably less there?
If not, would the net after RE and income taxes be more there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM

70 posts, read 110,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
While the taxes in Maryland may be considered high by some, I think you can look at the roads, schools, and public services and see where you are at least getting your money's worth, more so than in most states.

For example, here in Alaska, we have very low taxes but conversely, the roads, schools, and public services are either non-existent or are (pardon my language) crap.

When I compare what I paid in taxes when I lived in MD to what I pay now in AK, yeah, it's a huge difference but so is what I get (or don't get) in return. In MD, you have your choice of roads to use to get to just about anyplace in the state and they are in pretty decent shape, for the most part. As a state, MD schools tend to consistently achieve pretty high test scores compared to the rest of the nation and many, if not, most offer advanced classes (like AP) for students. In almost every part of MD, if you get in a bad traffic accident, have a fire, crime in progress, or a medical emergency, you can be pretty certain that you have help coming and fairly quickly. In AK, we have very few roads and they are in fair condition, at best. As a state, AK schools tend to test in the lower tiers and very few offer any advanced or AP classes. With the exception of Anchorage proper, Juneau, Fairbanks, and parts of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaskans can and do die quite often due to traffic accidents, fires, and medical emergency simply because there are very few public safety resources covering a very limited area of the state.

No, I don't like taxes and fees either but compared to our current situation, I would be okay with paying more taxes and necessary fees to have safe roads, decent schools, and more public safety resources. Be thankful and supportive of what you have because the alternative is far worse. Trust me, I know.

Remember the old adage: you get what you pay for.
I'm not sure comparing Maryland with Alaska (Alaska??? Really?) is a worthy comparison. Alaska's weather extremes contribute to bad roads - residents realize that this is just the nature of the beast. If you don't have the appropriate vehicle, you're screwed. This would also explain why there aren't first-responders at the ready all over Alaska - because it's freakin' DANGEROUS to drive an ambulance and its crew of paramedics through the rural tundra during a blizzard in the DARK (since it's dark for half the year). If you choose to live the wilds of Alaska and expect the posh suburban trappings of Maryland, you're an idiot. My God, the low tax burden is one of the few reasons to consider moving that far north, IMO (aside from the natural beauty of the landscape during the warmer months).

And their underwhelming school ratings are a reflection of a large number of poor rural and native populations who just don't CARE about education. You can throw all the taxpayer money in the world at underperforming schools in Alaska and I bet the scores would hardly budge. You'd think Washington DC would have learned this lesson by now. You can lead a horse to all the taxpayer-funded water you can buy, but YOU CAN'T MAKE HIM DRINK.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

671 posts, read 1,252,833 times
In regards to the commentary comparing Alaska with Maryland: The roads are 'non-existent' because it would not make fiscal sense to build them. I have been to Alaska for government business and I have evaluated the roads. There is a reason why there is an uncharacteristically large number of small aircraft license holders among Alaskans in contrast with the rest of the nation - a great deal of transportation is conducted by plane as it is in many times the only option for travel.

Maryland is not like Alaska. Maryland is a state that is part of a temperate climate and furthermore extreme temperatures are partly offset in thanks to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean. It is also a stone's throw from DC, the capital of the nation. It is also located in a portion of the country where it can reach over three-quarters of the American population within an 8 hour drive. There is no excuse for it to be compared to Alaska in regards to roadways, quality of education or other relating public safety services in which is expected of the government.

I would like to remind KatSRVA to refrain from name-calling others though. We try to be a touch more civil on these forums than we are in real life.

In regards to the question about my income-making capability. I actually came from Ohio, where I originally was employed. I came to the DC region at the behest of one of my two employers, of which the other also found need for me in this region. My income was the same when I was in Ohio, so yes, I can make the same amount here as there. But I am a bad example, as I have 6 collegiate degrees and am currently working on my seventh in fields that relate to each other but are for different (and highly lucrative) business/government sectors. In other words, I can pretty much make any income I need from anywhere. But since I came here from Ohio, my income decreased despite having the same gross income-earning power, mainly due to the higher income taxes, higher cost of living, and high property taxes. I also forgone a lot of amenities afforded to me by my former home city of Columbus, which led the country in many things to include the #1 public library system in the country. So yes, I am upset with the state of Maryland and would like to change that however I can whenever I can.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
My income was the same when I was in Ohio...
But since I came here from Ohio, my income decreased...
Not to dump on you... but it sounds to me like you're complaint is with your employers.

The COL in/near DC is relatively high. It has been since WW2.
The data to describe the how and why of this is all over. One LINK for such.
Per that link... $80,000 in Columbus requires $129,000 in the DC area to compare.

If you came there without a good bump in salary (or some other significant reason to accept less)
it's really hard to see how you can blame Maryland for that.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM

5,824 posts, read 3,770,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

No, I don't like taxes and fees either but compared to our current situation, I would be okay with paying more taxes and necessary fees to have safe roads, decent schools, and more public safety resources. Be thankful and supportive of what you have because the alternative is far worse. Trust me, I know.
There are some places in Western states that have been receiving a lot of refugees from California, because of their financial situation. I hear a lot of complaints(here in CD) from old timers at these locations towards the newcomers who now want the same amenities they had in CA. The only way they are going to get those amenities is to raise taxes, which is ultimately why they had to leave CA.

What I am saying is, be careful who you voice your desires to in Alaska. You could get mistaken for a rabid moose and get shot.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not to dump on you... but it sounds to me like you're complaint is with your employers.

The COL in/near DC is relatively high. It has been since WW2.
The data to describe the how and why of this is all over. One LINK for such.
Per that link... $80,000 in Columbus requires $129,000 in the DC area to compare.

If you came there without a good bump in salary (or some other significant reason to accept less)
it's really hard to see how you can blame Maryland for that.

I am also unsure why you always seem to have an unnatural interest in my specific self, MrRational. I would like to emphasize to you that I do not blame my employers for needing me where they need me. That said, I would point you to my first post on this thread. #1, my post was responding to the assumption by another poster that '99%' of Marylanders aren't affected by the taxes. #2, I pointed out that the biggest issue is the fact that the return on investment is low for the taxes I do pay. If I paid this amount and had the same benefits afforded to me in Coumbus as in Fort Washington, I'd be happy. But I don't. The state government is spending my taxpayer money in ways that I apparently don't value. Things I do value, however, are largely neglected based on my standards.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM

6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
Actually we can maintain our roads without raising the gas tax. They just need to not build the Red Line and Purple Line. Significant gas tax revenue statewide goes toward mass transit in Baltimore City and Montgomery County.

I also do not see the need for the rain tax, wind farm tax or flush tax. I don't care if they build wind farms off the coast that will not benefit us. It simply serves the liberal sensibilities of O'Malley's base.

Illegal aliens do not deserve ANYTHING from us.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I am also unsure why you always seem to have an unnatural interest in my specific self
I don't. What I do have an interest in is presenting context.
So many complain using anecdotes or even less.

I hope things work out better for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 PM

544 posts, read 855,157 times
Quote:
I am a middle class, one-income earning family of three living in Fort Washington, MD. My property taxes are over 5K when including all the state/local/additional government-administered fees (but not including front foot benefit fees, which is another 800-900).
My home is appraised at about $220k in Montgomery and I pay $2000/year or less. If you're paying over $5k, then it sounds like your house is worth about $500k. If you can afford a half million dollar home, I don't have a ton of sympathy for you. Buy a more reasonably priced place and enjoy your undoubtedly 6-figure income.

Quote:
This is on top of the massive income taxes that I have to pay, mainly due to the county-specific tax that I have never seen in any of the states I lived in prior to moving to Maryland. .
You're from Ohio? Cleveland has a 2% city tax, or at least it did when I lived there from 1999-2003.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM

C'mon guys, why are we all alleging my income to be high and making it a centerpiece of discussion? It really is not high whatsoever. We should go back on topic and focus on the fact that Maryland as a state really needs to show that it is providing its tax-paying citizenry some real equity by making it a more desirable and convenient place to live -- more than it currently is doing. And anyway, the government currently has my house appraised in the mid 300s.

And yeah I am from Ohio, but from the only city worth being in - Columbus (unashamedly biased).

Last edited by molukai; 04-26-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland