U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 AM

708 posts, read 1,027,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
The difference is that local governments charge an additional 3% to 5% in income taxes. That could make your MD tax rate around 10%, compared to Illinois where they don't charge local income tax.

That's double what you pay in Illinois. So even if the property tax is double in Illinois compared to Maryland, you'd have to own a house valued 10 times your annual salary for that to even up.
We have a winner! MD local tax is the BIG difference maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 AM

9,403 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Yeah I agree that we need to get back on point and stop taking shots at other posters. With that said Hell yeah Maryland taxes are way too high. It is the reason we are leaving this morning to explore Winchester VA and Charles Town WV as possible retirement destinations. No way can we afford to stay in the state my wife and I have lived in our entire lives and it breaks my heart.

I did some research and found that MD has the 4th highest tax rate in the nation, higher than Hawaii. And I am positive these rankings do not even take into account the new gas tax, other incredibly annoying things such as $170 to renew your tags for 2 years and of course the new "rain tax".

http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes...ocal-Taxes.htm
  • New Jersey at 11.8% of income
  • New York at 11.7% of income
  • Connecticut at 11.1% of income
  • Maryland at 10.8% of income
  • Hawaii at 10.6% of income

So yeah, the tax burden in Maryland is ridiculous and of course it should be factored in when considering a move.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM

26,830 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

States With the Highest and Lowest Taxes - Where You'll Pay the Most and Least in Taxes
  • New Jersey at 11.8% of income
  • New York at 11.7% of income
  • Connecticut at 11.1% of income
  • Maryland at 10.8% of income
  • Hawaii at 10.6% of income
The national average of tax burden is right at 9.9%...
Maryland, at 10.8%, is less than 10% above the national average.

The horror!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 PM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
I do wonder if retirees really benefit the state anyway, maybe they dont care that people are retiring and moving out. After all once you're rretired you don't pay income tax anymore but you still receive benefits like Medicare. I wonder what its like for states with a large retired population.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 AM

32,101 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Retirees still pay property and sales taxes along with other ones like the Flush Tax. Many also continue to pay Income Tax, especially in MD which taxes almost all retired pay/pensions. Medicare is Federal so that wouldn't enter into a State's costs but retirees still need health care, some specialized.

Many areas want retirees because they're less of a burden on services like schools and recreation facilities compared to families. Calvert County, as do most MD Counties, has an impact fee/excise tax on new residential construction which is waived for retirement communities.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 AM

708 posts, read 1,027,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The horror!
Thats at the STATE when you add in local taxes, thats the difference maker. Maryland taxes are plenty high.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
That's at the STATE...
No, it's not. If it were then states with no income tax at all wouldn't even show up)

But lets pretend you're correct...
why whine about the State when the problem is Kent or AA or PG?

The whole thing:
http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...year-1977-2010
You'll find that aside from the extreme outliers... most states are neck and neck with each other.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 AM

168 posts, read 593,654 times
I live in Wicomico county on the shore. This county has some of the highest property tax rates in MD. IMHO this county sucks. Even basic amenities are poorly executed. Very little infrastructure, horribly executed county services and most county roads near me are in bad condition. I have no idea what aversion MD has with proper street light placement but it's crap. Even in "urban" areas the lighting is lacking. I came from Illinois, which has horribly high taxes but at least you get something for it. City amenities and infrastructure, street lights everywhere, curbs, sidewalks everywhere and lots of really nice parks. Its not all peachy in IL but the county I live in needs a reality check.

If I'm going to pay it better be worth it. Wicomico County is NOT worth it.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The horror!
Is that percentage normalized for the number of people in each state? In other words, did they take the total tax burden and divide by 50 or did they weight it for each state? If they weighted it by population, then 9.9% is probably skewed up due to the number of people living in higher tax states.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
I live in Wicomico county on the shore.
This county has some of the highest property tax rates in MD.
Consider why. The name "Willy Sutton" might help you in understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFerLNdpwO4

Last edited by MrRational; 04-28-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland