U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 AM

671 posts, read 1,252,358 times

Advertisements

oncesir, at least Wicomico's taxes are lower than Prince Georges. MD Current Tax Rates

And by the looks of it, your public education system is way better, too. Schools in Wicomico County Public School District - Salisbury, MD | GreatSchools
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM

32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
oncesir, at least Wicomico's taxes are lower than Prince Georges. MD Current Tax Rates

And by the looks of it, your public education system is way better, too. Schools in Wicomico County Public School District - Salisbury, MD | GreatSchools
Wicimico is also very rural so to expect streetlights and sidewalks outside the business districts is untenable. Most of the Towns are very old, dating to colonial times in some cases, when sidewalks weren't envisioned or even really invented. Retrofitting them now, and adding the stormwater infrastructure to go with them, can easily go into the multiple 100's of thousands of dollars per mile.

In any case, the electric utility determines the placement of streetlights in most cases and it's difficult for the local government to get them to move off the formula without the locals incurring greater expense ($1000's per additional light).

Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM

708 posts, read 1,027,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No, it's not. If it were then states with no income tax at all wouldn't even show up)

But lets pretend you're correct...
why whine about the State when the problem is Kent or AA or PG?

The whole thing:
State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2010 | Tax Foundation
You'll find that aside from the extreme outliers... most states are neck and neck with each other.
100K income, house, 2.5 kids, total tax (standard deductions, real deductions, dependents etc. pulled) (information pulled directly from respective Tax authorities for EACH state and DC):
Maryland: ~15,000
DC: ~14,500
VA: ~11,000

Question: Are Maryland taxes that bad compared to IL
Answer: YES---YES THEY ARE!!!!!<-----

Is the OP going to listen to some article you post, or some real homework that has been done, because I am sure he can send that article to the IRS after he gets smacked with a huge bill. Go to the site, and do the math yourself.

With high income/right conditions (average 2 income government employee) Maryland tax burden is HIGHEST in the DC region, end of story, case closed.

Maryland's problem is chicken and egg, high taxes drive business out of the region over to VA, and the lower tax base makes Maryland raise more taxes on individuals, simple problem with simple fix, lower taxes, cut benefits and lure businesses back across the river.

Last edited by vicnice; 04-28-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
With high income/right conditions (average 2 income government employee)
Maryland tax burden is HIGHEST in the DC region...
That's called an anecdote.
And (to be clear) no one is disputing the basic point.
The issue remains one of where/how (and at what other costs) you can do better.

F'rinstance... you can come down here and pay marginally lower rate,
but you'll have more than a marginally lower income to apply that rate to.
Does that prospect have more appeal to you?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

9,411 posts, read 5,206,233 times
I have no idea why Mr. Rational continues to fight the very clear fact that taxes in MD are high when compared to the rest of the nation. He may be ok with the 4th highest rate based on percentage but a lot of us are not. And again these figures do not even consider the new gas tax that is about to go into effect. Or others fees such as over the top tag renewals that do not show up in the tax figures but we all know that is exactly what they are.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why Mr. Rational continues to fight the very clear fact that taxes in MD are high
when compared to the rest of the nation.
And prime beef costs more per pound than the burgers sold by Murrays.
Did you have some actual or larger point?

Quote:
He may be ok with the 4th highest rate...
er... 12th at 10.2% with the national mean at 9.9%. (link)

Louisiana comes in 47th place with a 7.8% rate.
Wanna trade with them to save that 2.4%?

Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,027,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's called an anecdote.
And (to be clear) no one is disputing the basic point.
The issue remains one of where/how (and at what other costs) you can do better.

F'rinstance... you can come down here and pay marginally lower rate,
but you'll have more than a marginally lower income to apply that rate to.
Does that prospect have more appeal to you?
To do better honestly the best move is to go to VA, all things being equal. MD is not friendly to high income earners this is no secret. We will need a little more info from the OP but MD should not be the first choice if one can pick "anywhere" to live in the area and is concerned about taxes.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,417,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why Mr. Rational continues to fight the very clear fact that taxes in MD are high when compared to the rest of the nation. He may be ok with the 4th highest rate based on percentage but a lot of us are not. And again these figures do not even consider the new gas tax that is about to go into effect. Or others fees such as over the top tag renewals that do not show up in the tax figures but we all know that is exactly what they are.
Not to mention how MD uses taxpayer money. Look no further than the monstrosity of a mess Silver Spring transit center. WMATA for the first time made a smart move by actually not taking any part in it.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM

168 posts, read 593,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wicimico is also very rural so to expect streetlights and sidewalks outside the business districts is untenable. Most of the Towns are very old, dating to colonial times in some cases, when sidewalks weren't envisioned or even really invented. Retrofitting them now, and adding the stormwater infrastructure to go with them, can easily go into the multiple 100's of thousands of dollars per mile.

In any case, the electric utility determines the placement of streetlights in most cases and it's difficult for the local government to get them to move off the formula without the locals incurring greater expense ($1000's per additional light).
I should have been clearer in my rant about street lights and infrastructure. I don't expect them everywhere, especially rural areas here but even subdivisions with $250k and up houses have little to no lighting or curbs/sidewalks. A friend lives in a subdivision with REALLY expensive houses in Wicomico County, no curbs or street lights. This is pathetic to me considering the high tax rates and the amount of rural area here that requires little to no upkeep.

The reason this is pathetic to me is because the state I came from has high taxes. Schools there were good and infrastructure was top notch. My point is that high taxes are often about perspective as well. Wicomico County isn't worth it to me due to my perspective.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM

671 posts, read 1,252,358 times
This WaPo article makes an irregular appearance on this board, but I felt it prudent that everyone reads it. When I lived in Alexandria VA, my taxes were substantially less than what I currently pay in PG MD, and this article simply affirms it with empirical data.

Who Pays More Taxes? Virginia, Maryland or D.C.? - Raw Fisher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland