U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:42 AM

605 posts, read 422,764 times

Advertisements

There are two Puerto Rican/Dominican restaurants in the area that I know of. One is on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore and the other is in Jessup.

Merengue Restaurant

Cazabe Restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 AM

20,495 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Puerto Ricans are born US citizens. That has been the case since the Spanish American War. They are not immigrants. If they move to an area they are transplants, just like every other US citizen.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:10 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Nah there is. I'll explain later my phone is dying.
So where's your explanation claiming that there's tensions between us blacks and the Hispanics in this state?

Old 12-21-2014, 07:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Puerto Ricans are born US citizens. That has been the case since the Spanish American War. They are not immigrants. If they move to an area they are transplants, just like every other US citizen.
Yup, to the U.S. they are considered natural American-born citizens just like everyone else born in the U.S. However they are still classified as Puerto Ricans and not Americans and don't vote for the Pres (they vote for their own government) and have a distinct Hispanic culture.

To the U.S. they are dual citizens. Their citizenship gets more complicated from there.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM

128 posts, read 223,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yup, to the U.S. they are considered natural American-born citizens just like everyone else born in the U.S. However they are still classified as Puerto Ricans and not Americans and don't vote for the Pres (they vote for their own government) and have a distinct Hispanic culture.

To the U.S. they are dual citizens. Their citizenship gets more complicated from there.
Ummm... yes and very much so no. For all intents and purposes, Puerto Rico, and all US territories like Guam, and the US Virgin Islands is represented to the world as part of the US. Puerto Rico has self-rule in the same way States in the Union have sovereignty. But there is no such thing as a Puerto Rican citizen, anymore than there is a Maryland citizen or a New York citizen. The concept of dual citizenship does not apply to Puerto Ricans on the island. They are very much "Americans" just like you and me. (I am of Puerto Rican descent born and raised in NJ.)

Yes they do not vote for President (though they do vote in the primaries... as if that mattered...), yes they don't pay Federal income tax, and yes there is no representation in Congress though they do have a non voting member. The argument can be made that because Puerto Ricans are natural born US citizens, a Puerto Rican born on the island could run for President, technically. And I am not talking about someone like Joaquin Phoenix, I am talking about an ethnic Puerto Rican.

However it very cultural right now, much like how it must have been like in Hawaii. There is a strong Puerto Rican identity and a fear that if Puerto Rico does become a state the identity is lost. I don't personally feel that way... I was brought up in 'Merica and I have strong ' Merican values (and humor...)

What brought me to this thread was that I am a transplant from Jersey living in Montgomery County because I do work in DC. I brought my girlfriend (soon to be wife) with me who is second generation Puerto Rican (she doesn't even speak Spanish at all nor looks Puerto Rican... I am first gen, so Spanish is a language I speak but English is my primary language and on the phone I speak with no tinge of a Spanish accent until I say my name... lol) In any event, I was curious about Puerto Ricans in the area myself and am a bit saddened that I see more Central Americans than anything else. And because I don't look Hispanic myself, they don't even try to speak to me (which is fine, believe it or not.) I miss going to a Dominican or Puerto Rican barber, or even eating some decent mofongo or Arroz con pollo. I could give two ----s about gang activity... I have always been near the hood and I never look for trouble (but I am no punk either.) I just want to have some semblance of a connection to my roots. I am ok if I don't but while I am, it would be nice. LOL. But we will live. So I at least want to say that if I am still working here by the next Census, you got another Boricua in MD...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM

2,036 posts, read 2,134,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Very very wrong. Those from PR are Americans. They do have their own distinct culture, but so does Texas, Hawaii, NYC, or many other states.

They are a US citizens there is nothing complicated about it, and if they move to a state they can vote just like any other US citizen.

The difference is like DC residents if they are living in PR their vote really does not count for much. They still vote in the presidential election and primaries, but in the presidential election it's not counted (DC at least has that).

In the most recent referendum on the issue in PR, PR overwhelmingly voted to go down the path to US statehood, NOT independence. The only reason they are still a territory, and not a state, is because the GOP does not want a heavily democratic and latino island to become a state. It is racism plain and simple. But they are Americans point blank. They serve in the US military, they identify as Americans. In many ways PR is no different than Hawaii.

But the whole territory thing works similar to DC. Would you consider those in DC Americans...probably absolutely. You should consider those from PR Americans as well.

Except for Guam...Guam is different, but then again, that is based on racism built into the law. But those in Guam consider themselves Americans as well.

But if they are living in Maryland, as US citizens, they would vote in the maryland election just like any other US transplant that declared maryland residency.

The territories are getting a bum deal in terms of representation, and other things, and people need to recognize that. These are Americans.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 AM

1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
ok so i cant believe someone would make this post. aight Puertoricans do not live in this state. for them most families are in NY or NJ sometimes FL. I know a few PRs who live in MD, however they usually move around a lot. most of there fasmilies live in NY or back home. I wish there was more here. Dominicans are low here to. mostly latinoamericans like el salvadorin or etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
aight Puertoricans do not live in this state. for them most families are in NY or NJ sometimes FL. I know a few PRs who live in MD, however they usually move around a lot.
I like how you go from Puerto Ricans don't live in MD to knowing a few who live in MD, but they move around a lot.

I am definitely here for at least a year. I didn't
exactly grow up telling people "I want to move to MD!!" Hell, I never thought I would live in the DC area period. I still have yet to really really venture out. But it has only been a month. MD may be transitional... or I may die here. I can't say with certainty. But I can only tell you that I am 100% Boricua and maybe I will be here for the next census. Maybe I won't. Maybe I don't survive my 90 probation period (Yeah, ok but hey... you never know.)

The state I want to move to is Texas. Certain conditions have to be met first. Until then I really just want to keep my head down, lay low and just do what I gotta do. I like my new job, Gaithersburg isn't so bad... I like that it is relatively quiet. I just wouldn't mind connecting with my fellow Boricuas, but I will live if I don't.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 PM

218 posts, read 203,223 times
With about 60,000 Puerto Ricans in Maryland, i would say 80-90% of them live in the DC & Baltimore areas, evenly split between the 2.
Ricans in the DC area tend to be scattered throughout the area, mostly middle class . while in the Baltimore area, they are highly concentrated in certain areas, especially areas like East Baltimore and Dundalk among other Hispanics, and evenly split between working class and middle class. Caribbean hispanics tend to be overshadowed by central american Hispanics, this is far more true in the DC area.

Your more likely to run into a Puerto Rican in East Baltimore than anywhere else in maryland. Baltimore city as a whole is about 5% hispanic, but southeast Baltimore is probably about 20% Hispanic , about 20-30% of those Hispanics are Puerto Ricans.,

Heck, even in Virginia, (with over 100,000 Ricans, spread out mainly in the state's 3 main metros) your more likely to run into Ricans in the Hampton Roads and even the Richmond area then u are in the VA side of the DC area ( as they represent higher percentages in these areas then the DC area). Overall , the DC area is unique and weird to me

Last edited by phillydominican; 05-21-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
With about 60,000 Puerto Ricans in Maryland, i would say 80-90% of them live in the DC & Baltimore areas, evenly split between the 2.
Ricans in the DC area tend to be scattered throughout the area, mostly middle class . while in the Baltimore area, they are highly concentrated in certain areas, especially areas like East Baltimore and Dundalk among other Hispanics, and evenly split between working class and middle class. Caribbean hispanics tend to be overshadowed by central american Hispanics, this is far more true in the DC area.

Your more likely to run into a Puerto Rican in East Baltimore than anywhere else in maryland. Baltimore city as a whole is about 5% hispanic, but southeast Baltimore is probably about 20% Hispanic , about 20-30% of those Hispanics are Puerto Ricans.,

Heck, even in Virginia, (with over 100,000 Ricans, spread out mainly in the state's 3 main metros) your more likely to run into Ricans in the Hampton Roads and even the Richmond area then u are in the VA side of the DC area ( as they represent higher percentages in these areas then the DC area). Overall , the DC area is unique and weird to me

The one Dominican I see (every now and then) in the DC area is this chick every weekend [Jeanette Reyes]:

(I would give that a go...lol...)

Even she is from the Northeast...New England at that.

I really am starting to feel that this is more transitional than anything else. But it's only been a month...so we'll see. (I might have to invest in a B'More run to get a haircut...but everytime I think of Baltimore...I think of "The Wire.") [People seem to grumble when I say that...I wonder why.... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or