U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
Reputation: 1176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckOutOfNJ View Post
I like how you go from Puerto Ricans don't live in MD to knowing a few who live in MD, but they move around a lot.

I am definitely here for at least a year. I didn't
exactly grow up telling people "I want to move to MD!!" Hell, I never thought I would live in the DC area period. I still have yet to really really venture out. But it has only been a month. MD may be transitional... or I may die here. I can't say with certainty. But I can only tell you that I am 100% Boricua and maybe I will be here for the next census. Maybe I won't. Maybe I don't survive my 90 probation period (Yeah, ok but hey... you never know.)

The state I want to move to is Texas. Certain conditions have to be met first. Until then I really just want to keep my head down, lay low and just do what I gotta do. I like my new job, Gaithersburg isn't so bad... I like that it is relatively quiet. I just wouldn't mind connecting with my fellow Boricuas, but I will live if I don't.
boricua for life. and i read my post again and ur right lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2015, 04:52 AM
 
128 posts, read 223,938 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
boricua for life. and i read my post again and ur right lol.
All good my dude. Was just funny, but your intended point was clear.

Because of my parents, and how I was raised, I neither look nor sound Boricua...I get Dominican if anything. One chick I went to HS with swore I was in fact Dominican, but I was perpetrating a fraud claiming my Boricuaness. Actually, this other chick's mom went a step further and said maybe your family, in fact, came from the DR to PR and settled. That one I had a "proper" response... I told her I spoke to my father... he assured me my family didn't come on a raft from the DR. Laughs were had all around except of course for the moms. I just thought it was mad ignorant that just because my dad is mad dark and my mom mad Euro looking (mejorando la rasa.....) I gotta be Dominican...

Lol, sorry about the rant...I just miss interacting with Hispanics from the islands and now I see MS-13 wannabes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckOutOfNJ View Post
All good my dude. Was just funny, but your intended point was clear.

Because of my parents, and how I was raised, I neither look nor sound Boricua...I get Dominican if anything. One chick I went to HS with swore I was in fact Dominican, but I was perpetrating a fraud claiming my Boricuaness. Actually, this other chick's mom went a step further and said maybe your family, in fact, came from the DR to PR and settled. That one I had a "proper" response... I told her I spoke to my father... he assured me my family didn't come on a raft from the DR. Laughs were had all around except of course for the moms. I just thought it was mad ignorant that just because my dad is mad dark and my mom mad Euro looking (mejorando la rasa.....) I gotta be Dominican...

Lol, sorry about the rant...I just miss interacting with Hispanics from the islands and now I see MS-13 wannabes.
for reals? you deal wit the similair stuff i got to deal with. everybody thinks dominicans are poor. but not all of them really not. i think im part dominican but i look mostly white since i was adopted from europe. but i also get the "you look mexican" thing also cause of my skin color. I hate that. i dont sound boricua neither but thats because i was raised in a english household. I agree the hispanics in MD are not like the carib ones.. the latinos always speak to me in spanish (nd yes the wannabe el salvadorians ms 13 in langley park) and when i speak english and say im part dominican they like "no way man.. you american!" i dont know i guess u know who you are. i really dont care were people are from. i know them for who they are how they represent themselves.

btw i somehow do like the whole boricua thing.. reggae ton, plantains and tu sabes..

Last edited by papichulo2; 05-23-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,586 posts, read 6,368,524 times
Reputation: 2165
All this talk about population numbers and migrations and not one link to a census source or a scientific study on either subject. Can someone post some numbers that can be corroborated or else this is all speculation. Some people have posted numbers. I'm not sure just how accurate they are. What is the source of those numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
All this talk about population numbers and migrations and not one link to a census source or a scientific study on either subject. Can someone post some numbers that can be corroborated or else this is all speculation. Some people have posted numbers. I'm not sure just how accurate they are. What is the source of those numbers?
where are u going to find puertoricans on these "stats"?? irish, us, german african etc. is what i see. sometimes.. who cares? if you live in the area, you go by what u actually see. not just numbers they might not be accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,586 posts, read 6,368,524 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
where are u going to find puertoricans on these "stats"?? irish, us, german african etc. is what i see. sometimes.. who cares? if you live in the area, you go by what u actually see. not just numbers they might not be accurate.
I don't know about you, but the average American couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Caucasian. And eyeballing numbers of a population by driving down the street is about as inaccurate as guessing what the Powerball number will be.

Shouldn't there be an interest in finding out if valid statistics exist first instead of just pulling numbers out of the air? There has to be an agency or organization that tracks the population and migration of an ethnic group. No one here cares to find out?

I would trust the effort of actual research and census tracking than I would someone who is going by what they see.

I only bring this up because I am actually interested in these numbers. But people keep throwing out numbers as if they read them in some sociology study. No one here is a sociologist right? So, why throw out numbers that aren't backed by any valid source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 03:02 PM
 
128 posts, read 223,938 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I don't know about you, but the average American couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Caucasian. And eyeballing numbers of a population by driving down the street is about as inaccurate as guessing what the Powerball number will be.

Shouldn't there be an interest in finding out if valid statistics exist first instead of just pulling numbers out of the air? There has to be an agency or organization that tracks the population and migration of an ethnic group. No one here cares to find out?

I would trust the effort of actual research and census tracking than I would someone who is going by what they see.

I only bring this up because I am actually interested in these numbers. But people keep throwing out numbers as if they read them in some sociology study. No one here is a sociologist right? So, why throw out numbers that aren't backed by any valid source?
It's funny... I actually took Sociology and Cultural Anthropology in the same semester... got As in both...(needed BS electives and was amazed at the overlap I got from those courses.)

In any event, I agree with your point and I concede that at least my observations are annectodal more than scientific... I personally have not seen a fellow Puerto Rican or a Carribean Hispanic and... I can tell the difference between a Hispanic and any other race. Every now and then I get surprised... but those are exceptions rather than norms. But you have at least succeeded in instilling some curiosity about hard and fast numbers from credible sources. I might have to get back to you on that... I could use a nice fun project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:06 AM
 
218 posts, read 203,223 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
i don't know about you, but the average American couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Caucasian. eyeballing numbers of a population by driving down the street is about as inaccurate as guessing what the Powerball number will be.

Shouldn't there be an interest in finding out if valid statistics exist first instead of just pulling numbers out of the air? There has to be an agency or organization that tracks the population and migration of an ethnic group. No one here cares to find out?

I would trust the effort of actual research and census tracking than I would someone who is going by what they see.

I only bring this up because I am actually interested in these numbers. But people keep throwing out numbers as if they read them in some sociology study. No one here is a sociologist right? So, why throw out numbers that aren't backed by any valid source?
Well idk about YOU sir, but the average Puerto Rican doesnt look Caucasian, Puerto Ricans are mixed race ppl who come from a Spanish speaking country, they are largely mulatto &triracial (mostly white spaniard & black African, with a heavy touch of indigenous taino)
So its fairly easy to tell Ricans from whites, blacks, and non-Caribbean hispanics. Now telling Ricans from Dominicans n Cubans is more challenging.


http:// http://factfinder.census.gov...prodType=table

According to this above , there is over 52,000 Puerto Ricans in Maryland as of 2013, compared to 42k in 2010 and 26k in 2000, this is from the census website. By personal observations as well as census data, I would say that the state's PR population is evenly split between the Baltimore area and Maryland's portion of the DC area. Just look thru the site. And although the 2015 estimate haven't come out yet, as its too early , I would say there's about 65k Puerto Ricans in Maryland in 2015, prolly over 1% by now, which is relatively high when comparing PR populations of other states, as there's only 5million in the nation with a national average of about 1.5% .Maryland Rican population is smaller then Puerto Rican populations in florida and states further Northeast, but larger then most other states.


http:// http://content.usatoday.com/...53490820.story

And above is another link, noting Puerto Rico's recent exodus to the mainland due to increasing poverty n crime in PR. As usual many Ricans are moving to traditional settlement states like Florida & Northeastern states of NY NJ PA CT & Mass., many are also moving to Atlantic states between PA and Florida, such as Maryland Virginia NC & Georgia, as well as Texas n Ohio. With Maryland's Rican population growing rapidly, not as much so as states like Florida n Pennsylvania, but fast growing nonetheless, with Maryland having one if the top 10 fastest growing PR populations of all 50 states. Do the research tho, we don't make this stuff up.

Last edited by phillydominican; 05-31-2015 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: todo el mundo!!
1,563 posts, read 941,455 times
Reputation: 1176
yeah its true most ricans look white. but it depends on la familia. Some come from different countries/cultures and look different. its hard to say they are puerto rican. (sometimes dominicans are called puerto ricans).. I mean is that if a puerto rican guy living in the mainland gets some survey asking his race he would probably say white/american not hispanic, but again depends on his familia. they are americans, and in PR the actual island they are known as white i think in some cases. but if you got stats cool.

and 52000 Pricans in mD? i disagree with those stats i only met a couple here and they arent even from here. and people move out everyday so stats arent even realistic always. the biggest group of hispanics has to be Salvadorians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
 
128 posts, read 223,938 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
yeah its true most ricans look white. but it depends on la familia. Some come from different countries/cultures and look different. its hard to say they are puerto rican. (sometimes dominicans are called puerto ricans).. I mean is that if a puerto rican guy living in the mainland gets some survey asking his race he would probably say white/american not hispanic, but again depends on his familia. they are americans, and in PR the actual island they are known as white i think in some cases. but if you got stats cool.

and 52000 Pricans in mD? i disagree with those stats i only met a couple here and they arent even from here. and people move out everyday so stats arent even realistic always. the biggest group of hispanics has to be Salvadorians.
Pai, I'm a Puerto Rican that looks Dominican. No ifs, ands or buts...even Dominicans think I'm Dominican until I speak Spanish...then they just know I'm Boriqua. Nothing wrong with it...I'm a Puerto Rican who prefers Merengue and I have a Dominican friend who's into Salsa. I look Dominican, he looks Puerto Rican...lmao...

My mother looks white...as in Caucasian...because her grandparents were from Spain and France from her father's side. My dad...well his family is straight up black. So I get the "pelo malo" from him and the curls from my mom...if not for my mom, I'd probably be really black.


As for you disagreeing with stats, you can't really use anecdotal evidence (i.e. you meeting a couple here) to dispute math (in this case, statistics.) That makes you look foolish. Now you can dispute the stats by doing your own statistical analysis, but barring that...I might be inclined to believe the 52000...because really...we're not Pokemons...you're not going to catch us all. I'm not even in MD most of the time (because I work in "the District...") But yeah, I do rest my head in MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top