U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,274,340 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for someone to open up a nice Puerto Rican restaurant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua_Man View Post
Maryland has 2 large and important cities, Baltimore and Washington DC (though not in Maryland, it is surrounded by it)
Though, the PR population in DC is virtually non-existant, Baltimore has a tiny yet emerging Puerto Rican population in the southeast parts of the city.
Baltimore is close to South Central PA (an area with large PR populations in its major towns)
DC has a growing economy and strong national image, and is often considered one of the 'mega-cities' of the US
The whole state of Maryland overall is in very close proximity to Pennsylvania and other parts of the lower northeast (a region which holds over half the US Puerto Rican population)
Maryland is also between New York and Florida (the 2 states with the largest PR populations), and close to Philadelphia as well, which is the city with the 2nd largest PR population.
Given all these elements, Maryland should have already emerged as major destination for Puerto Ricans in the US, but I guess its just now starting to. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
There are two Puerto Rican/Dominican restaurants in the area that I know of. One is on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore and the other is in Jessup.

Merengue Restaurant

Cazabe Restaurant

Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but the average American couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Caucasian.
*That is quite a silly statement. Not all Puerto Ricans are descendants from Europe and Spain. Haven't you heard of Afro-Puerto Ricans?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I don't know about you, but the average American couldn't tell a Puerto Rican from a Caucasian. And eyeballing numbers of a population by driving down the street is about as inaccurate as guessing what the Powerball number will be.

Shouldn't there be an interest in finding out if valid statistics exist first instead of just pulling numbers out of the air? There has to be an agency or organization that tracks the population and migration of an ethnic group. No one here cares to find out?

I would trust the effort of actual research and census tracking than I would someone who is going by what they see.

I only bring this up because I am actually interested in these numbers. But people keep throwing out numbers as if they read them in some sociology study. No one here is a sociologist right? So, why throw out numbers that aren't backed by any valid source?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:23 PM

1,563 posts, read 942,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*That is quite a silly statement. Not all Puerto Ricans are descendants from Europe and Spain. Haven't you heard of Afro-Puerto Ricans?!!
Im boricua so i can say that statement is correct! Some are blanquito and some black depends on the person.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:59 AM

People want to speak on things without having a full understanding of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
Im boricua so i can say that statement is correct! Some are blanquito and some black depends on the person.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:23 PM

184 posts, read 125,267 times
Obviously areas like Orlando, Philly, & NYC are more popular among Puerto Ricans. But Baltimore & suburban DC may possibly get a sizable boost due to Hurricane Maria.

Also due to the possible cancellation of DACA by Trump, we may see less Mexicans & Central Americans/Salvadorians.

Within the next decade (2018-2030):

What WILL happen.
PR populations in the Baltimore metro and the DC metro (DC, N. VA, Md) will continue to grow thru the remainder of the 10s and 2020s, the DC area likely having close 80k by 2020 and the Bmore area having around 40k.

Baltimore city will be around 10% Hispanic by 2030 , 20% of that being Ricans, the rest being Mexicans, Hondurans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and Dominicans. Hispanic community getting more prominant in East Baltimore, with Central Americans/mexicans continuing to settle inner east Bmore like Fells Point & Highlandtown, while Caribbean/Puerto ricans continuing to settling outer east Bmore like Greektown and Odonnell Heights, as well as Dundalk. A small Puerto Rican community may emerge in Annapolis due to the US Navy present there.

Vast majority of Maryland's Puerto Rican population will continue to be in Baltimore (both city & county), Howard, Anne Arundel, PG, & Montgomery. Overall East Baltimore/Dundalk & Annapolis will likely remain the only areas in MD where a small PR community will actually be visible. DC ricans are spread out among the metro. DC will mainly attract middle class Ricans, while Bmore will mostly attract working class Ricans (almost being a extension of Philly, Wilmington, Harrisburg/York). Northeast Maryland (around Elkton) will likely have a small increase in Puerto Ricans due to proximity to the Philly metro.

What MIGHT also happen:
PG County may experience an upsurge in Americanised Afrocentric black/mixed Puerto Ricans from other states, due to the area being known nationwide for having a high concentration of wealthy blacks. While other PRs may want to live around other Hispanics or even whites, in PG, montgomery or howard.

Frederick may see an increase in PRs (becuase of similarities to Harrisburg Pa), or even Salisbury (similarities to Dover De).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or