U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 38,164 times

Advertisements

Maryland has 2 large and important cities, Baltimore and Washington DC (though not in Maryland, it is surrounded by it)
Though, the PR population in DC is virtually non-existant, Baltimore has a tiny yet emerging Puerto Rican population in the southeast parts of the city.
Baltimore is close to South Central PA (an area with large PR populations in its major towns)
DC has a growing economy and strong national image, and is often considered one of the 'mega-cities' of the US
The whole state of Maryland overall is in very close proximity to Pennsylvania and other parts of the lower northeast (a region which holds over half the US Puerto Rican population)
Maryland is also between New York and Florida (the 2 states with the largest PR populations), and close to Philadelphia as well, which is the city with the 2nd largest PR population.
Given all these elements, Maryland should have already emerged as major destination for Puerto Ricans in the US, but I guess its just now starting to. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,725,881 times
I think there are a lot of PR people moving to Baltimore for work. I work with many of them. Most i know live around pikesville and owings mills.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,006,833 times
Mexicans and Salvadorians pretty much have the DC area (we also have the largest MS-13 presence on the east coast) on lock but I do see some Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Dominicans though. Highlandtown in Baltimore has sizable PR population.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Mexicans and Salvadorians pretty much have the DC area (we also have the largest MS-13 presence on the east coast) on lock but I do see some Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Dominicans though. Highlandtown in Baltimore has sizable PR population.
DC is actually more Salvadorans, Guatemalans and Peruvians. The Mexican population around here is comparably small. I think the presence of large groups of Central American immigrants discourages Mexican and Caribbean immigration; the three groups do not much care for each other.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM

33 posts, read 145,166 times
Very few Puerto Ricans live in DC. Most PRs in the DC metro are scattered throughout DC's suburbs.
While in Baltimore, there actually is a SMALL Puerto Rican community in East Baltimore and Dundalk areas, though Puerto Ricans can also be seen in other parts of the Baltimore metro.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 31,761 times
In DC, Puerto Ricans and Caribbean Hispanics in general, are often overshadowed by the much larger Central American population, while in Baltimore, the Hispanic population is evened out 50/50 between Mexican/Central American Hispanics and Caribbean Hispanics. For some reason, Puerto Ricans largely avoid DC. Dont get me wrong you can find Puerto Ricans here and there in the DC metro, but there's more Puerto Ricans in Baltimore then in DC. Heck, even in Virginia, you'll find more Puerto Ricans in the Hampton Roads area then in Northern Virginia.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Is there a lot of racial tension between black gangs and MS-13 in the DC area like it is in California?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFa3MtODqcA

Old 05-05-2013, 10:55 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
I have been thinking about this, and I cannot recall ever meeting a Puerto Rican until I moved to Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Is there a lot of racial tension between black gangs and MS-13 in the DC area like it is in California?

LA Gangland Documentary - Race Wars (Chicano VS Black) - (1 of 5) - YouTube
Black and Latino gangs, historically, never got along in California, which is funny because a lot of black gangs adopted aspects of Chicano and lowrider cultures.

MS-13 generally does not like most other gangs, but they have been known to ally with Crips and GDs (although GD is not necessarily a "black" gang), amongst others.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,006,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

LA Gangland Documentary - Race Wars (Chicano VS Black) - (1 of 5) - YouTube

Nah its not as bad as the west coast. Black street crews outnumber MS-13 by a very large margin and the two never overlap anyways for the most part. Langley Park in Pg county county is 99% Spanish and there is some tension with the black people who live right down the street in Silver Spring (Crush Mob 88). When its all said and done black crews run the DC area.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:16 PM

58 posts, read 150,838 times
All I have to say is if Baltimore wants a larger Hispanic population, all it has to do is lower its cost of living. It would have Central Americans flooding the area from the nearby DC area, and it probably also pull significant numbers of Puerto ricans and Dominicans from areas further north like New York, New Jersey. Thats one of the main reasons Philly has a huge PR population and still attracts large numbers of them to this day. Close to NYC, which for a long time was the center of the Puerto Rican American community, and in some ways still is, and lowest cost of living in the region. So, close to family back in NY, while living in a far cheaper place, with a kinda similar big city lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or