U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM

671 posts, read 1,252,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky93 View Post
If you're from MoCo or PG, you're probably saying "I'm from DC".....unless you're talking to someone who actually is from DC lol.
I proudly say that I'm from PG... after I get through the sheepish admittance that I'm from Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,079 times
I was born and raised in MD still live here, yea the people are unique we always mention..
Chesapeake bay
boating
crabs
beer
hunting
ocean city
equality
crab cakes
but, we do have an accent or are own way of saying things like wooder, wader for the simple word 'water'.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:28 AM

132 posts, read 227,126 times
I think that you should all be proud of where you're from no matter what! - Its part of your identity. PG County has a lot of nice parts! So does every county in Maryland. I think Maryland's diverse sets of personalities make it the cool state it is. I'll admit, I don't really know Calvert County that well (like the guy in the video mentioned) but I'm also fairly new here. That video pretty much only focused on Baltimore and the eastern shore, though. I also agree that there is a lot of boat and bay culture here. its because the Chesapeake Bay is such a unique and famous bay being one of the biggest in the country. Its also quite beautiful. even the people in Cali called MD "The Sailing Capital." We're also known for the blue crabs. If you ask a person that isn't from Maryland what the capital of Maryland is, they're likely to tell you its Baltimore, LOL. Its just like how the people here think LA is Cali's capital when its actually Sacramento. Some people in Cali knew what Ocean City is.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,737,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
If you ask a person that isn't from Maryland what the capital of Maryland is, they're likely to tell you its Baltimore, LOL. Its just like how the people here think LA is Cali's capital when its actually Sacramento. Some people in Cali knew what Ocean City is.
In West Sac there is a sign along 80 before it connects to 50 that reads: Ocean City, MD. 3,XXX miles. Ocean City has a similar sign at the head of 50.

Born and raised in California and have lived their for the majority of my life so far: cannot recall one Californian who mentioned Baltimore as the capital and I have yet to meet someone who believes LA is the capital of California. I have met plenty of people who seem to be under the impression that the entire state is LA though.

I didn't realize Annapolis was the capital until I moved here but I always new it was not Baltimore.

As for the stuff that Marylander's say...ya'll pronounce your "o"s funny.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseisgay View Post
I was born and raised in MD still live here, yea the people are unique we always mention..
Chesapeake bay
boating
crabs
beer
hunting
ocean city
equality
crab cakes
but, we do have an accent or are own way of saying things like wooder, wader for the simple word 'water'.
I believe people on the Eastern Shore and the Baltimore area pronounce water as wooder whereas here in the DC side of the state, we pronounce it as wader. I don't know what people out in western MD pronounce it, there might be a slight Pittsburgh influence in their pronunciations.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
In West Sac there is a sign along 80 before it connects to 50 that reads: Ocean City, MD. 3,XXX miles. Ocean City has a similar sign at the head of 50.

Born and raised in California and have lived their for the majority of my life so far: cannot recall one Californian who mentioned Baltimore as the capital and I have yet to meet someone who believes LA is the capital of California. I have met plenty of people who seem to be under the impression that the entire state is LA though.

I didn't realize Annapolis was the capital until I moved here but I always new it was not Baltimore.

Same with our "r"s too lol

Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 PM

132 posts, read 227,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I'm not from California, (but lived there for a long time), that's probably why. And it wasn't California in general I was talking about, people from many, many states thought it was Baltimore. I've also heard someone say Bethesda is the capital once.

And speaking of Maryland accents, I've been starting to notice that a lot of the people in Glen Burnie have accents I don't know how to describe them though. Maybe its a "Baltimore" accent

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,617,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I believe people on the Eastern Shore and the Baltimore area pronounce water as wooder whereas here in the DC side of the state, we pronounce it as wader. I don't know what people out in western MD pronounce it, there might be a slight Pittsburgh influence in their pronunciations.
We say "wader"..........same vowel as in father, bother, cop, Bobby, etc. (short O.) We tend to articulate our short Os from the far back of our mouths, and sometimes folks from the Baltimore area will comment on the difference.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaMarylandPers View Post
I'm not from California, (but lived there for a long time), that's probably why. And it wasn't California in general I was talking about, people from many, many states thought it was Baltimore. I've also heard someone say Bethesda is the capital once.

And speaking of Maryland accents, I've been starting to notice that a lot of the people in Glen Burnie have accents I don't know how to describe them though. Maybe its a "Baltimore" accent
It's most likely a Baltimore accent considering that Glen Burnie is a suburb of Baltimore, it probably sounds slightly different from a pure-blooded Bmore accent though. The same the DC accent/dialect here in PG County or over in MoCo or down in Charles County sound slightly different from a pure-blooded DC accent/dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland