U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,729,908 times

Advertisements

Used to live in Salisbury, knew lots of Somerset folks, including a handful of teachers. Somerset and Allegany are duking it out yearly for poorest county in MD. So it does have the problems associated with that. Beyond that, it's a pretty clannish place ... which might make a place homey or whatever, but can have some real drawbacks for transplants. I knew someone from Delaware, maybe 40 miles up the road, who was seen as an "outsider" for quite sometime.

Salisbury isn't bad. People talk about it like it's the worst block of Baltimore but I don't really get why. The college lends it a few activities and fun. The city park is nice and it's "got everything you need," as they say. It's close to the beach too. Doesn't really have a lot of "town pride" or unifying factors. I think that might be true of lots of college towns.

Easton and St Mikes are different. St Mikes is a tourist town, for sure, but plenty of local history too. You will find plenty of transplants in Easton, too, probably more than Salisbury. You're also a lot closer to the amenities that are "over the bridge," (I can't recall your interest in those). The downtown of Easton and St Mikes (well, downtown is the whole town) are way more vibrant than anywhere in Salisbury or Somerset counties. In many ways the Rt 13 corridor is the land that time forgot. That can be good or bad depending on your interests.

I think really it's going to come down to this: How far away from mainstream metropolitian people, things, and "feel" do you want to be? Does working in a poor school district bother you? Can you handle the nepotism that comes along with working in a small, poor county?

It might also come down to this: Do you want to be 30 minutes to the ocean or 90?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 90,500 times
Thanks , that was informative. And I am still asking myself some of those questions! Being 30 minutes away from the Ocean is a big plus, but the clannish thing might get old. I am looking for somewhere to stay for good. I moved to Virginia from California a few years ago and need to be back by the water and get paid more!! But I am so over moving. St. Mikes (as you called it) does seem really cool. I just hope I can afford housing, it seems like a lot of retired wealthy and vacation homes.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,729,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAWEED View Post
Thanks , that was informative. And I am still asking myself some of those questions! Being 30 minutes away from the Ocean is a big plus, but the clannish thing might get old. I am looking for somewhere to stay for good. I moved to Virginia from California a few years ago and need to be back by the water and get paid more!! But I am so over moving. St. Mikes (as you called it) does seem really cool. I just hope I can afford housing, it seems like a lot of retired wealthy and vacation homes.
You're probably right about housing in St. Michael's. Might find more affordable housing in Easton. There are some areas outside of St Mike's on that peninsula that I'm sure you can find something in your range.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 PM

631 posts, read 1,039,010 times
Im from Salisbury. Born and raised until I relocated to PG County. Salisbury is the largest city on the Eastern Shore. Easton is more retirement age while Salisbury is more younger families. Don't get me wrong its a retirement town as well, but there are more families there also. As a product of Wicomico County Public Schools, we had a better education than in Somerset. Some Somerset schools are actually at one point falling into receivership of the State. Some will tell you that Wicomico County schools, especially those with a predominantly larger minority will have lower test scores when that is not the case. Salisbury has parks, Restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs, and activities for older adults. The Centre at Salisbury is the largest mall on the eastern shore and has lots of retail. There is also private schools in Salisbury as well.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM

46 posts, read 90,500 times
Ok Thanks EdBro.. hmm well it is something to think about for sure. I might just sub in Salisbury and wait for something else to open up. I hate to say it, but so far have not heard one good thing about Somerset schools. Thats too bad and as a SPED teacher I can imagine it might be even worse for me

Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM

631 posts, read 1,039,010 times
Somerset County schools are just not the greatest. Most of the families reside in Somerset County b/c it is less expensive than residing in Wicomico County or Worcester County. Taxes are less and so is cost of living. However, the School system isnt great. Crisfield and Washington HS are not the best schools and usually hold less than average test scores and population. The State and the County has had numerous discussions to consolidate both schools. If you want to Sub in Wicomico County, you can. Also look at Worcester County, also.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:47 PM

73 posts, read 65,634 times
I taught middle school in Denton, Md (French and Spanish). I am a high school teacher and I found the middle school students much harder to manage. I liked the town of Denton; It's not pretentious but has its charm and it is only 20 minutes to Easton which offers a more groovier/artsy ambiance. Easton reminds me of small villages in England. We are currently looking at Chestertown and Rock Hall as possible places to relocate. Good luck with your search.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
This thread is over 5 years old. Hopefully the OP made a decision long ago. If she is still around maybe she will check in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or