Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM

46 posts, read 104,261 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a teacher looking to relocate with my senior mother to the Eastern shore. I am used to the small town etc. , but one thing would be, a commutable distance to a decent hospital due to my mother's heart problems. Also, I will need to rent a house, so am wondering about the rental options. Are the areas close to the "bridge" too touristy and expensive or do they have a community? I have heard some things about Chestertown area? I grew up ont he water in California and like watersports , though don't know if that is relevant. Anyway, I don't mind the country but do not want to live next store to ATV racing, gun shooting maniacs like we have here in Front Royal Va. A little land and a grocery/hardware store somewhere nearby, and as stated, a decent hospital not too too far away would be ideal.
I am middle aged so don't really care about the nightlife (lack of etc).
Thanks ahead for any input from locals or whoever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Chestertown isn't a bad idea given your criteria.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Easton would be worth looking at. It has the closest hospital to the Bay bridge, unless you consider the one at exit 45 on Rt50 a hospital. It's more of an emergency care center only.

The Hospital in Easton will be building a totally new hospital slightly north of town in the next few years.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, is probably the largest one on MD's eastern shore. Salisbury has a state university, but I would venture to say more crime and poverty. Easton and Chestertown are classier and attractive towns, and they both have hospitals, and are closer to the Bay Bridge. Don't overlook the state of Delaware too - it attracts a great many retirees due to its much lower taxes - in fact no sales tax (partly made possible due to its gambling revenue).

Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Cambridge might be an ok choice. It has a hospital and is on the water.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I considered Chestertown and Easton for retirement. They both are real towns with amenities, some culture, and not just a strip mall. Both have some 55+ communities where rentals might be available.

If you don't have a job tied down yet, you should also look at Delaware. There are hospitals in Seaford (the closest to Maryland), Lewes and Dover. There are dozens of 55+ communities varying in cost from budget to luxury.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Thank you ! I never even thought about Delaware I will look into it, Easton does look nice too

Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAWEED View Post
Thank you ! I never even thought about Delaware I will look into it, Easton does look nice too
I should have mentioned that you could probably live in a 55+ community with your mother, even if you are only (say) age 45. I believe the community needs only to have an average age over 55. They typically might prohibit teens under 18, but allow younger family members, as long as one person is older than 55.

BTW, I believe the areas near the bridge are too touristy. There is also a K Hovnanian Four Seasons community planned on Kent Island, but I believe it is never going to be built. The state government vetoed it because it would be too close to endangered wetlands.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Some teaching jobs are really hard to get. You should try to land something before you move, otherwise you may be subbing in different counties for a while.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Yes I realize I may have to sub awhile, I am a special ed teacher so it is a little bit easier. I don't mind having to commute within 30 miles or so, just looking for an area to settle into. My mother lived many years in Shady side Md. , and worked at the Naval Academy, I miss the Ocean, so this is our compromise.
@Goldenage, yes I am only 44 so that is good to know. I would feel better if I could get my mother into a 55Plus community so she will have some friends etc. Are there any that stand out above the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland