U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 13,567 times

Advertisements

Oh that's not as bad as I thought it would be, looking for a place in this area is proving to be more difficult than I thought. There are too many choices lol, here in upstate NY if you work in a city the only real options for living are that city or its small suburb's. I'm not used to basically having 3 cities within driving distance of a place I will be working at.

Which reminds me, any opinions on living on the northern suburb's/outskirts of DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Try looking in the Maryland Gazette/Evening Capital ads.
I will hopefully be flying down there next week to get a first hand view of places, what other methods of searching do you think would be best? I tried craigslist every now and again but it seems to get clogged with undesirable places and scams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,630,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITintern View Post
Which reminds me, any opinions on living on the northern suburb's/outskirts of DC?
If you mean College Park or Silver Spring, you are unlikely to find anything decent for a budget of $830 unless you are sharing a place.

You could also try they classified ads in the Baltimore City Paper: http://citypaper.kaango.com/ If you can go to your future workplace, look for bulletin boards advertising for room-mates. If you are interested in a share in College Park, try this: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/

Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you mean College Park or Silver Spring, you are unlikely to find anything decent for a budget of $830 unless you are sharing a place.

You could also try they classified ads in the Baltimore City Paper: http://citypaper.kaango.com/ If you can go to your future workplace, look for bulletin boards advertising for room-mates. If you are interested in a share in College Park, try this: The Diamondback : The University of Maryland's Independent Student Newspaper
Thanks, I will look at them. I will be visiting the head office next week to talk with HR about getting settled so I hope to try and pick up a few papers then, but I can't really access the place I will be working.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,420,150 times
If you want to live in or near DC, Capitol Hill would be your best bet. Right off 295 and would be about 30 minutes without traffic, but I'm not sure what traffic is like. Would probably be slightly more than Fed Hill, but you budget could probably get you a roommate situation.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 8,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
The entire South Peninsula is gentrified now. In the Real Estate world It's considered Federal Hill and Locust Point. Good luck buying or renting or buying by searching South Baltmore. I live in the South Baltimore neighborhood and it's exhausting explaining to people where I live. Your average person considers South Baltimore the entire southern third of the city. So I just say Federal Hill, if they really know the area I'll explain further. There really isn't much if a difference between the 1000 and 1800 block of Charles anymore... It's all nice and expensive.
My parents moved to the suburbs in the fifties. My grandparents remained in South Baltimore until they passed. I have many fond memories of South Baltimore back when it still a thriving working class section of the city and Cross Street Market was still a real no frills farmer's market. I used to love to go Muhly's Bakery on Charles Street. What I miss the most is the time that I spent sitting with my cousins on my grandparent's stoop in the summer. My grandmother kept her stoop spotless. It's like the yuppies took a bulldozer to my childhood. While Federal Hill is difficult to swallow, I will never refer to Pigtown as SWBO or Washington Village. That's just going too darn far!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,729,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMR View Post
My parents moved to the suburbs in the fifties. My grandparents remained in South Baltimore until they passed. I have many fond memories of South Baltimore back when it still a thriving working class section of the city and Cross Street Market was still a real no frills farmer's market. I used to love to go Muhly's Bakery on Charles Street. What I miss the most is the time that I spent sitting with my cousins on my grandparent's stoop in the summer. My grandmother kept her stoop spotless. It's like the yuppies took a bulldozer to my childhood. While Federal Hill is difficult to swallow, I will never refer to Pigtown as SWBO or Washington Village. That's just going too darn far!
No, your parents' generation did by fleeing it in the first place.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 8,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
No, your parents' generation did by fleeing it in the first place.
Actually, my father was the only member of his family to leave the city. My mom's siblings remained in the city until the race riots of 1968 forced them to the suburbs. It was a scary time to live in the city. I remember the fires.

My parents moved before school desegregation ignited the white-flight movement out of the city. They followed my father's job. My father landed a job in one of Westinghouse Electronic Systems' engineering labs after being discharged from military. My parents wanted to live near my father's place of work.

Outside of the racial tension that resulted in massive white flight from the city, many members of my parent's generation (the Silent Generation) moved out of the city because they had families that were too large for the average city row home. While the Greatest Generation (a.k.a. WWII Generation) is given credit for producing the Baby Boom, they actually only produced the first and smaller cohort (a.k.a. the real Baby Boomers). The Silent Generation gave birth to the larger late Boomer cohort (they also gave birth to the earliest members of Generation X). The Baby Boomer cohort that the Silent Generation produced is now referred to as "Generation Jones."

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMR View Post
15 years ago the area overrun by drugs, drug dealers, junkies, and prostitutes. The streets were covered in trash, and derelict buildings where overgrown with weeds and filled with squatters. I have no problem with you disliking what the area became, but it was something much worse between now and the 50's and 60's. The yuppies didn't change what you remember growing up around, they turned around a recently drug ridden area.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM

I was looking at the Sharp Leadenhall Apartments on Leadenhall st. as a possibility. Reviews from 5+ years ago make it sound like a drug dealer haven, though a few more recent reviews make it sound like it has turned around. Does anyone know the situation on this area?

It seems a bit iffy to me as they have a lot of posts on craigslist, and often with differing amounts for a 1br

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

865 posts, read 2,246,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITintern View Post
I was looking at the Sharp Leadenhall Apartments on Leadenhall st. as a possibility. Reviews from 5+ years ago make it sound like a drug dealer haven, though a few more recent reviews make it sound like it has turned around. Does anyone know the situation on this area?

It seems a bit iffy to me as they have a lot of posts on craigslist, and often with differing amounts for a 1br
I would avoid those apartments. I would continue to search on Craigslist for a roommate/rowhouse share situation. Federal Hill and Locust Point have mainly rowhouses, and you should be able to find something decent within your budget if you have a roommate or roommates. That area is definitely your best bet if you're active and want to be around other professionals your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland