U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 7,793 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So here is the situation. My fiancé and I are both born and raised in the greater Seattle area and are completely unfamiliar with the east coast. He just received a job offer in Maryland and we will be moving early July! We are both eager, but looking for a little help with where to live. Our options are completely open and we are not required to be in any specific area. Demographic: we are both in our early 20's, will be newly married but not looking to start a family anytime soon, athletic, social, and (due to his work) I will be spending a lot of time alone so would place safety as a top priority. I know this seems vague but I any and all suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

-Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM

11,094 posts, read 18,663,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellew23 View Post
He just received a job offer in Maryland and we will be moving early July!
If your fiancee is not require to be anywhere specific in Maryland, will he be travelling to visit customers? If so, where are the majority of those customers? The state is bigger than it looks on the map. The traffic can be awful in some areas, so you should look to minimize his time on the road.

One suggestion is the Columbia/Ellicott City/Elkridge area. It is nice and suburban, and fairly central between Washington and Baltimore. Apartments are fairly expensive there, so a budget range would be helpful.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
He just received a job offer in Maryland and we will be moving early July!
all suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!
Start with the immediate vicinity of his office.
Work outward from there in concentric circles.
Keep commute time to a minimum

Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM

He is going to be working in me enforcement so we won't actually know where his final location will be until about 6 months after we get there. There is a possibility that if we find a place we like, after those 6 months he could request to be placed in that location. For now we are looking for a good place to get started and potentially stay permanently!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM

11,094 posts, read 18,663,021 times
Quote:
He is going to be working in me enforcement so we won't actually know where his final location will be until about 6 months after we get there. There is a possibility that if we find a place we like, after those 6 months he could request to be placed in that location. For now we are looking for a good place to get started and potentially stay permanently!
I don't know what the acronym "ME Enforcement" means. However, it sounds like you should initially be looking for a place where you can get a 6-month lease easily. Maybe a transient area, like around the Baltimore-Washington Airport?

You mentioned safety as a primary concern, however, that is a quite subjective criterion. Some people would feel safer in a controlled access high-rise. Others would feel safer out in the country with people miles away. Others are most comfortable in an affluent suburb. Others want a place where they can keep a big dog and a gun. What is your style?? (I personally prefer the high-rise.)

Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Law enforcement*

Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM

9,454 posts, read 5,227,956 times
Hi Danielle and welcome to the board. My dad lives in Vancouver BC so I know that area really well. I'm not really sure what to tell you as far as where to live because since we don't know what your husband will be working it will be almost impossible to give you a recommendation. But I will tell you that you are in for a shock when you see the price of housing and the traffic in the DC metro area. Another heads up, the summers will feel really hot to you at first. On a positive note we obviously do not have the rain you are used to. Personally I can't stand the weather in the NW but I'm told you get used to it. It will be the same thing with the heat.

Another adjustment is the "outdoor life" attitude. It's a way of life in the NW, here you need to work at it a bit. Don't get me wrong, for an area with 2 major metro areas there are a TON of outdoor activities in the region. You have mountains (OK they are small compared to what you are used to but hey, they qualify); the Bay, the ocean and of course the Potomac River towpath etc. Know what else is cool here? You can actually SWIM IN THE OCEAN! I know that may be a novel concept but go with it. If you go to the beach (2.5 hrs from DC or Baltimore) you can discover Assateugue Island where you can witness wild ponies, they are everywhere and pretty cool. Assateague Island National Seashore - Assateague Island National Seashore

But what you'll find here is it's just that not everyone here is into hiking/biking as I'm sure your current neighborhood is. You may feel the people here are a bit stuffy. They drive home, get out of there car, and disappear into their house. But trust me it depends on the area and that's more a function of city life than NE life. We like about 30 miles north of DC and trust me it's country here and everyone is very very friendly.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM

309 posts, read 571,077 times
Quote:
I am assuming your fiance got hired with MSP or NRP. If MSP, he does get to put in a "wish list" of what area he would like to work, however most new troopers get sent to a traffic barrack in central MD. If he puts in for one of those he will most likely get it (if you want me to list them and the areas they serve so it could help determine your move, let me know), any other barrack is not a guarentee. Don't know if you were looking into western MD, but do not rely on him getting a position in over there for quite some time since the trooper barracks in western MD are highly desired. I would assume it is the same with NRP.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Yes MSP is correct! I would greatly appreciate any info you have about the central MD area and those traffic barracks.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Yes MSP is correct! I would greatly appreciate any info you have about the central MD area and those traffic barracks.
9th post in the thread, 4th by you and still no mention of a town or even a county where you're headed.
People are happy to help danielle... but you really have to help a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland