U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,418,282 times
Reputation: 521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I agree. I just found your previous post that people who carried guns "haven't caused any trouble" is rather polyanna-ish, and inaccurate.
The people I'm referring to who carry are those who are actual law-abiding citizens like the average joe, etc. But yes I should have specified my comment a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
 
544 posts, read 855,157 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I've nothing against people who use guns for hunting in rural areas, but I don't see a reason to have guns if you live in the suburbs. They pose nothing but a safety threat there.
Why should a constitutional right be dependent on where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
 
373 posts, read 540,278 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I've nothing against people who use guns for hunting in rural areas, but I don't see a reason to have guns if you live in the suburbs. They pose nothing but a safety threat there.
As a harford county resident, I can say that gun users in my area are avid hunters. Only half of Harford county is the suburbs, the rest is ver rural. Just because you have no use does not mean that others have the same situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
 
84 posts, read 97,135 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I've nothing against people who use guns for hunting in rural areas, but I don't see a reason to have guns if you live in the suburbs. They pose nothing but a safety threat there.
Right, because criminals never frequent the suburbs. Right? Funny how you think when you don't see a reason for someone exercising a right, you can justify it by making nebulous claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
Reputation: 3965
There is absolutely no need for gun control in Harford or Cecil counties. There is no violence aside from what is brought there by city people and illegal immigrants.

Now in central Maryland you have kids suspended for bringing toy guns to school in this crazed liberal environment. Kids in rural areas grow up around guns and don't turn out to be crazed killers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 PM
 
544 posts, read 855,157 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There is absolutely no need for gun control in Harford or Cecil counties. There is no violence aside from what is brought there by city people and illegal immigrants.
Ok, I agree on the first sentence but you're so off base on the 2nd its comical. I love your Fox News approach to things. If you say them, they must be true!

Top 10 most wanted to Harford County (6 white, 3 black, 1 hispanic)

10 Most Wanted :: Harford County Sheriff's Office

Harford County, 6 murders in 2011 (Montgomery had 15 with a population 4 times the size; do the math)

Harford County: Six murders in 2011, up from previous year - baltimoresun.com

Cecil County had 6 murders in 2010 (Montgomery had 16 that year, with a population 10x as large)

Crime Statistics - Governor's Office of Crime Control & Prevention in Maryland

Also per that last link, 2010 overall crime rates per 100,000 people

Montgomery: 2293.7
Cecil: 3981.0
Harford: 2173.8

So please, don't tell me that no crime is committed in these counties and that the crime that is committed is because of Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
 
2,366 posts, read 2,017,221 times
Reputation: 1742
Hey Tom, try this on for size

Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care, police say - baltimoresun.com

According to you, they must be illegals because there is no way someone from Jarrettsville to be violent. Jarrettsville is in Harford County by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
Reputation: 3965
Okay I should have said LITTLE violence, and especially very little gun violence given gun ownership rates in Cecil and Harford and Carroll as well as much higher than in the urban areas. There are very few shootings in rural America compared to urban areas like Baltimore, DC, or PG County. Washington DC's gun laws have not made the city safer, neither have Chicago's. Yet the new laws disproportionately affect rural Maryland and rural Marylanders will be paying for most of the registration fees.

So Harford and Cecil Counties had a combined 12 murders all of last year.

Baltimore homicides up 10 percent in 2012 - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore City - 215 murders

PG County - 59 murders

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 06-03-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
Reputation: 3965
Now I'm wondering about out of state guns. I will be moving to West Virginia in July and definitely will be purchasing weapons there. I wonder if its illegal to bring these guns with me when I visit family and friends in Maryland. I'm heard horror stories about hunters passing through New Jersey being jailed for having guns in their car and they were just passing through. I wonder how O'Malley's gun grab applies to non residents and visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 AM
 
544 posts, read 855,157 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I wonder if its illegal to bring these guns with me when I visit family and friends in Maryland.
Quite possibly. Any "assault rifles" will be illegal to bring into Maryland and you risk a felony by doing so. Possession of a handgun in Maryland without a license is fine; it's just new purchases that require an unconstitutional amount of red tape.

You can transport mags larger than 10 rounds into the state, you just can't transfer them in Maryland, so don't buy a 30 rounder and bring it in expecting to give it to your buddy. That's illegal. He can go to WVA and accept it there, and then bring it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox
Okay I should have said LITTLE violence
No, you shouldn't have said that either, because it's entirely impossible to prove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top