U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 8,070 times

Advertisements

I got an impound warning notice on my car yesterday. I'm guessing because of expired tags? My tags expired the end of march. So its only been going on 2 months now and I just need to get the money to pay for new tags because we are extremely broke.

Is it because of my tags? or because I was just sitting in the same spot for a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 AM

26,855 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missa72542 View Post
My tags expired the end of march.
So its only been going on 2 months now...
only

Is you're insurance up to date?
If not... that'll really cost you.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:19 AM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Parking on a public street with expired tags gets you towed and impounded. Fix the problem now or it will only get more expensive.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

When you say Public street, does that include the parking lot that is degisnated for my set of apartments? :/ because I was told on the notice I have 24 hours, but the place for tags isn't open til monday. That's well over 24 hours. idk what to do.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Who was the impound notice from? Some, if not most, apartment complexes have a lease condition that all cars have to have current tags or they will be removed. If it was from them get to the rental office and explain. The complex's parking lot would be private property.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:47 AM

All it says on the sticker is this: "Taneytown police department - WARNING car will be impounded if not removed within 24 hours" and then there was this fill-out box that had the officers last name and badge number. Along with info about my car like the model, LP number and the date/time.

No other number to call or reason give as to who or why the notice was given.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Also the sticker is like really stuck on there and if I were to try and remove it, I know it would be a pain and would leave behind that white paper when you remove stickers like that.

Is that the normal sort of notice papers for that sort of thing?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa72542 View Post
All it says on the sticker is this: "Taneytown police department - WARNING car will be impounded if not removed within 24 hours" and then there was this fill-out box that had the officers last name and badge number. Along with info about my car like the model, LP number and the date/time.

No other number to call or reason give as to who or why the notice was given.
Call the Taneytown PD now.

As to why, some jurisdictions have their officers patrol parking lots looking for these violations. Usually they're looking for out of state tags.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,773,390 times
Call the Taneytown Police Department and ask. Be courtious, explain and listen to what they say. If it is a privately owned lot than it may be the Apartment manager asked them. Having tags expired for two months would be a signal that the car may have been abandoned. Talk to the apartment manager and the police and you may be able to work out a reasonable extension to get the tags brought up to date. The worse thing you can do is nothing

Old 05-18-2013, 12:02 PM

I called the only 2 numbers that I found. Both send me to the same recording that says something along these lines:

"Thank you for calling the taneytown PD, if you know the extension of the officer you wish to speak with, enter it now or press 1 for the directory. etc.etc. something about having an officer dispatched to my home."

When I press 1, I have to already have a name in mind for the officer. It requires me to entire the first few letters in the name. When I do this for the officer on the notice, it says there is no one with that name in the directory.

There is no other option to just talk with someone(anyone) directly.

however my mother in law is coming by now to pick up the car and take it to a private lot that my sister in law's boyfriend owns. So I guess that will help for now. Til I can get tags put back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or