U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 8,118 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I will be relocating to the US in August and will enroll for an HR programme at UMBC.

The issue i have is that i need a nearby accommodation to UMBC. My budget is $610 for a month (bed/bath).

Can anyone help?

Also i would like to find out if jobs are available around UMBC or Baltimore. Is there public transportation system like in the UK?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM

11,094 posts, read 18,656,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labakeng View Post
Also i would like to find out if jobs are available around UMBC or Baltimore. Is there public transportation system like in the UK?
If you are on a student visa, you usually cannot work. Here are the rules: Working part time while studying in USA on student visa However, it would be best to consult the student advisers in your program, as there may be exceptions if you are interning as part of the study program.

There is public bus transportation around Baltimore County, and to downtown. The routes and schedules are here: Local Bus | Maryland Transit Administration UMBC may also provide a shuttle bus. There are also MARC trains to both Baltimore an Washington DC during the week-days.

The school offers help in finding housing: http://www.umbc.edu/reslife/apply/temp_housing.html
also here: http://www.umbc.edu/gradschool/gradc.../services.html
and here: http://www.umbc.edu/reslife/communities/waa.php

The other place to look for apartments is on Craigslist at : baltimore rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist or baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

In your price range, it may be hard to find a 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. I'd suggest looking for a room-mate until you know your way around the area better. I'd suggest Catonville for apartments, as I know there is a bus which goes to UMBC. Arbutus is also an OK area to look at.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-20-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,514,809 times
Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service

maybe take a look at this site as well-

Old 06-04-2013, 02:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,118 times
Thanks for your response. am not on student visa but dv lottery. the programme at UMBC will only be on saturdays hence will be working weekdays.

Am not sure which city to stay as i would have to get a job and also attend weekend classes at UMBC (Columbia Gateway Drive). Where do you think is most suitable to live and can get job and commute via public transport. Buying a car is not in my budget for now .

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are on a student visa, you usually cannot work. Here are the rules: Working part time while studying in USA on student visa However, it would be best to consult the student advisers in your program, as there may be exceptions if you are interning as part of the study program.

There is public bus transportation around Baltimore County, and to downtown. The routes and schedules are here: Local Bus | Maryland Transit Administration UMBC may also provide a shuttle bus. There are also MARC trains to both Baltimore an Washington DC during the week-days.

The school offers help in finding housing: Graduate Student Temporary Housing
also here: UMBC Graduate School
and here: Walker Avenue Apartments

The other place to look for apartments is on Craigslist at : baltimore rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist or baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

In your price range, it may be hard to find a 1 bedroom in a safe neighborhood. I'd suggest looking for a room-mate until you know your way around the area better. I'd suggest Catonville for apartments, as I know there is a bus which goes to UMBC. Arbutus is also an OK area to look at.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labakeng View Post
1) at UMBC will only be on Saturdays ... weekend classes at UMBC (Columbia Gateway Drive).
2) hence will be working weekdays.

Buying a car is not in my budget for now
1) google UMBC Training Centers 6996 Columbia Gateway Dr, Columbia, MD ‎ LINK
2) google wherever your weekday working will be done
3) map directions between them

Then see what public transportation options are available between the two locations.
On Saturdays. There won't be a lot of them.

If you don't own a car (in suburban America) you will still need access to one regularly.
Sharing a ride with a chum? Borrowing? Renting?

The once a week Saturday trip aside... you'll want (need really) to live near the weekday job.
Close enough to walk or bicycle or if convenient/available to take a bus.
Look there (wherever that may be) for a house share. Ask the employer for help.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,740,139 times
Transit will disappoint you here.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The once a week Saturday trip aside... you'll want (need really) to live near the weekday job.
Close enough to walk or bicycle or if convenient/available to take a bus.
Look there (wherever that may be) for a house share. Ask the employer for help.
Inside the city of Baltimore it is possible to rely on public transit to get to work. Hopefully you can find a job in Baltimore or Baltimore County that will work for you.

Getting out to Gateway Drive in Columbia will be the difficult part. There is a Zipcar franchise at 1120 North Charles that might allow you to rent the car for Saturday only. Or take a taxi until you locate someone to share a ride with.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) google UMBC Training Centers 6996 Columbia Gateway Dr, Columbia, MD ‎ LINK
2) google wherever your weekday working will be done
3) map directions between them

Then see what public transportation options are available between the two locations.
On Saturdays. There won't be a lot of them.
I also used the MTA Trip planner at Home | Maryland Transit Administration on a Saturday morning from Downtown Baltimore to the Columbia site. The best option was 2 hours and 15 minutes. It involved taking the light rail to BWI Airport, then the Silver Bus to Columbia and walking two miles. This sounds nightmarish.

I would recommend a taxi for the OP, until he gets an American driver's license. Then join Zipcar and rent the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland