Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

i've been reading a lot about the billions of cicadas that are supposedly inundating the east coast, but apparently central MD where i live is outside the area where the current 17-year cycle brood II is located.

so yesterday i drove nearly all the way to leonardtown on MD 4, passing thru calvert and st. marys counties, thinking i would surely run into some, based on this map:

but i couldn't find any. on the way back after it got dark, i could hear one here and there making noise, but no concentrated area like i was expecting to find.

can anyone tell me where to find a concentrated patch of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I think it may be too early. Where do you live and is Mount Airy out of the zone too? That's a bummer.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 AM

671 posts, read 1,545,976 times
Just curious, but why are you looking for a large group of them? Are you planning on harvesting them for cicada cuisine?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Talking to my co-workers some of them have seen swarms and others have seen none. It really depends on where you are. Most reports I have heard were in southern Calvert County. You aren't going to see them driving up and down route 4 though.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think it may be too early. Where do you live and is Mount Airy out of the zone too? That's a bummer.
i don't think it's too early; reports are that they're already out in VA and southern MD, and have been for a few days. everything shaded in the map below is from this year's sightings. i live between bowie and annapolis, and mt. airy is too far north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Just curious, but why are you looking for a large group of them? Are you planning on harvesting them for cicada cuisine?
mmmm, maybe
i mostly just want to see what thousands of them look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Talking to my co-workers some of them have seen swarms and others have seen none. It really depends on where you are. Most reports I have heard were in southern Calvert County. You aren't going to see them driving up and down route 4 though.
apparently not. i did wander off 4 for a bit around st. leonard and calvert beach, but still no luck.

do any of your co-workers know an address like a park or something where they've seen them?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
General rule: Any land that has been developed in the last 17 years won't have many cicadas. The heavy moving equipment and removal of trees kills the juveniles.

I don't know Southern Maryland very well, but in general I think your best bet would be to go to state parks that have large stands of broadleaf trees.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Your best bet might be Flag Ponds Nature park or Calvert Cliffs State park. I ride my mountain bike regularly at Greenwell State Park in St. Mary's and have seen a few shells but nothing significant. They seem to be particularly quiet this year too. I keep hoping one doesn't hit me in the face while I am riding.

Also, not sure if you knew this but they are disgusting looking. If they ever swarm my house you can have them.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i don't think it's too early; reports are that they're already out in VA and southern MD, and have been for a few days. everything shaded in the map below is from this year's sightings. i live between bowie and annapolis, and mt. airy is too far north.
Thanks for the bad news. But I don't get it. They are turning up in New Jersey, why would Mount Airy be too far north? And we are surrounded by 100 year old trees, no development here since the 1800's.

As for why I'm so interested that's simple: they are an amazing phenomenon. I remember as a kid growing up in Montgomery County just how incredible they were. They are harmless and I wanted to use them as fishing bait last time but never got around to it.

Some people eat them, call 'em "land shrimp". I'll pass although I wanted my dog to eat them, it's good for them (free protein).

Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks for the bad news. But I don't get it. They are turning up in New Jersey, why would Mount Airy be too far north? And we are surrounded by 100 year old trees, no development here since the 1800's.

As for why I'm so interested that's simple: they are an amazing phenomenon. I remember as a kid growing up in Montgomery County just how incredible they were. They are harmless and I wanted to use them as fishing bait last time but never got around to it.

Some people eat them, call 'em "land shrimp". I'll pass although I wanted my dog to eat them, it's good for them (free protein).
Frederick County has cicadas, but they are part of Brood X, not Brood II. They came out last in 2004, and should be seen again in 2021.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Frederick County has cicadas, but they are part of Brood X, not Brood II. They came out last in 2004, and should be seen again in 2021.
Yes we had them too but they were a disappointment. I went through Chevy Chase and they were everywhere. I'm so bummed, this is about the only thing I think is better in Montgomery County than up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland