U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM

4,564 posts, read 7,632,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Frederick County is rapidly getting influenced by DC, and is part of the DC metro area. I personally don't consider most of it part of Western Maryland apart from Brunswick. Parts of it feel like Montgomery County (Urbana, and to a lesser extent, Frederick city), parts feel like Carroll County (Mt. Airy), parts feel almost exactly like South Central Pennsylvania (Emmittsburg), and parts... well, parts feel like all three (Thurmont). Apologies if I'm harping too much on this but it honestly angers me (former/current resident of Urbana - long story) that we are considered part of Western Maryland. Nothing against them but we are nothing alike. Hagerstown also has influence from the DC metro area and is in that sort of transition zone between Western MD and "downstate," as some refer to Central MD/the DC or Baltimore suburbs.

Cumberland is overall a pretty nice place, I've been there several times. It's pretty laid back and isolated - whether that's a good thing or not is purely opinion. Cumberland is quite conservative, but the younger residents within the city, as well as Frostburg, are generally quite accepting and usually lean moderate. I don't ever remember reading any instance of crime made on the basis of intolerance. It definitely has a strong community-like feeling, and many local church communities.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM

6,583 posts, read 11,641,644 times
Morgantown is probably more liberal than Cumberland since its a college town. But the likelihood of you being targeted in a hate crime or open harassment is very low. And remember that even among people who voted against gay marriage, it doesn't mean that they actively hate gay people many of them supported civil unions but voted based on their religion and the definition of marriage. Of course there are a handful of idiots everywhere but that happens in big cities too.

I am a tea party activist in Maryland and honestly gay marriage is almost never brought up as to why we hate our state and federal government. I would be more worried about the fact that Maryland's gas tax is being increased AGAIN in July and your gas will be 20 or 30 cents more expensive than Morgantown's this summer and maybe 50 cents or a dollar more expensive next year though you can always cross into West Virginia to get gas, along with alcohol and cigarettes which are also taxed more here. And if you or your partner make over $100,000 a year you will be paying the 7th highest income tax in the entire nation. And don't forget that we also have the nation's only flush tax and wind farm tax. I don't think the Rain Tax applies to Western Maryland counties but that can always change in the future. These are things I would take more into account in choosing between Maryland and West Virginia. In fact many people live in WV and commute to work in Maryland.

Also, due to the dominance of the DC area, Maryland also has very ridiculous "smart growth" laws, and the rain tax will contribute to this too......you will PROBABLY find a suburban, exurban, or rural type housing arrangement more affordable in West Virginia or Pennsylvania as the central government pushes for high-density development. So if this is your preference (as it is mine) I think WV might be better as the state government heavily restricts growth in Maryland's rural areas. Also if you like to hunt, or own guns, Maryland will be very bad for you starting this summer as well.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 442 times
Default western md options

Hi. I would recommend Hagerstown as there is a gay community there and very welcoming. There is an MCCC church (lgbt focused) but other churches -Trinity Lutheran- would be very welcoming. Economically...Hagerstown offers a nice way of life and lots of job possibilities Of course, it would be helpful to have a skill or career.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM

4,204 posts, read 9,314,603 times
Don't know what happened to the OP from a year old post, but same sex marriage appears now to have become legal in PA now which opens up Pittsburgh as a possibility. The geography of Pittsburgh is such that it feels much more like a set of small towns than the BosWash corridor cities do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or