Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss37 View Post
Thank you.
I would agree that Frederick would seem to be the best bet. It is a good combination of small city vibrancy, proximity to major cities, and plenty of country side, both farm and some wooded mountains (as we call them in the East Coast vernacular)

The heat + humidity is really nasty in Maryland. If you don't mind an anecdote, DW and I went to Santa Fe on vacation in the summer. When the natives found out we were from Maryland, they nearly all asked, "Oh, how are you dealing with the heat?" Our answer was that the weather was great! The dry air made sweating actually cool you down rather than drenching your clothes, and all you needed to do was sit in the shade to cool off and make sure you drank plenty of water. Maryland summers are much worse.

The only part of Maryland you can avoid this in is the Allegheny Highlands, roughly western Allegany County and Garrett County. 90s are rare there, and the night temps cool things off. That may be too far away from the big city for your liking though.

But definitely come visit during the Dog Days of Summer and see how you feel. My guess is sweaty, but hopefully it isn't a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM

66 posts, read 85,420 times
Thanks, I will look into Frederick. Being from New England and having lived in FL and CO, I have an enormous appreciation for dry heat, love it actually! But, can't seem to find enough oak trees and really tired of sage bush
100 dry heat is a OK!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but what about Northern Baltimore County. I know the county has the largest number and concentration of horse farms in the state, and even the country for that matter. The scenery is very beautiful. You are also close to Baltimore and numerous hiking and biking trails. As a bonus, there are numerous wineries in that part of the state as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
While I would be an idiot to suggest that it doesn't get hot and humid in MD it isn't even close to FL, Austin or even NC hot. Last year's weather was an aberration. We do get hot days but so does the entire east coast. But there are only a handful of really bad days all summer. In NC that number would be 3X.

With that said Frederick is my choice as well. It is cooler for sure and seems to have a lot of what the OP is looking for. My only caution is Maryland is very expensive, especially housing. But that should be pretty easy for you to research online. .There is plenty of horses in the surrounding area, once you get out of town it's all country.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I would be an idiot to suggest that it doesn't get hot and humid in MD it isn't even close to FL, Austin or even NC hot. Last year's weather was an aberration. We do get hot days but so does the entire east coast. But there are only a handful of really bad days all summer. In NC that number would be 3X.
Well, the last three years have all been well above "average". This year looks like it might be the aberration, but this week is all above 90, so who knows what we have in store for June and July. 28 days were over 95 last year; that's not a handful of bad days; that's 1/3 of the summer.

Most of my family lives in Sarasota and the Palm Beach area, and the DC area is just as hot and humid as where they live.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Having lived in western NY, MA and FL, they all get humid, but there is a difference in places such as FL in July when there's no point in taking a shower before you leave the house. But, I adjusted as time went on, just spoiled now with CO dry heat.
Also noted that housing is expensive, seems to be the new norm most everywhere. Probably except places not too many people want to live. I bet Kansas is pretty cheap and thats not even on my top 50.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Well, the last three years have all been well above "average". This year looks like it might be the aberration, but this week is all above 90, so who knows what we have in store for June and July. 28 days were over 95 last year; that's not a handful of bad days; that's 1/3 of the summer.

Most of my family lives in Sarasota and the Palm Beach area, and the DC area is just as hot and humid as where they live.
If you are really arguing that Maryland summers are the same as Florida that is simply not the case. Anyone who has lived in both will tell you Florida summers are 3 months of weather that is like the worst days of MD heat. Maybe a 90 degree day is torture for you but I assure you on that 90 degree day in Silver Spring is a 95 degree day with more humidity in Sarasota.

Average Daily Highs For June, July, August

Baltimore: 83; 87; 85
Jacksonville: 90; 91; 91

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USMD0018

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USFL0446

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM

I can't imagine that MD july is the same as FL, but haven't expereinced it myself. I have a friend who swears I fit Baltimore and all the negative posts here direct me to think its like a bad day in Buffalo, NY. Again a young 42, single professional, values culture and entertainment, yet appreciates the silence, clean as oppposed to filth, boating, likes the outdoors too, no longer than 30 minutes from my horse.
Is Baltimore or even Annaopolis vibrant or just a run-down city trying to drag itself up. I just can't tell anymore.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM

Oh Baltimore is not run down and pulling itself up by the bootstraps and is nothing like Buffalo. Annapolis has never been run down but it's very expensive. I would be concerned if you value clean to "filth" that a big city may not be your thing. That's why Frederick seems to constantly be suggested. It's only 45 minutes to Baltimore, about the same to DC, so you can get your culture fix without living in a big city.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Based on various posts Frederick seems very family oriented and my "friend" keeps saying no, no, no. Need more clarity on why. If its 45 minutes form the city I probably won't end up in the city much, so if Frederick doesn't support the middle-aged, single professional then might not fit. If its nothing like Buffalo thats a bonus....it was quite depressing to visit last year, lots of corner bars and people stuck in the same spot from 20 years ago.
Of course every city has their good and bad spots, I just prefer more accessible good. Is the harbor very alive in Baltimore and boating popular? Obviously the location of a job will impact a specific living area, not fond of 90 minute commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland