U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM

544 posts, read 854,974 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of middle aged singles in Frederick. Baltimore is a lot like Buffalo, just less friendly and more crime (and a better football team).

You are not going to find accessible to a major city + reasonable board cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM

66 posts, read 66,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
There are plenty of middle aged singles in Frederick. Baltimore is a lot like Buffalo, just less friendly and more crime (and a better football team).

You are not going to find accessible to a major city + reasonable board cost.
You see my issue reiflame.....completely opposite responses. It is or isn't like Buffalo; so great to have this site yet can be comfusing. Are you saying Frederick has more "nicer" areas. Yes you do have a better football team, but lets not open that discussion since I'm a Pats fan

I say reasonable board is around $400/month, depending on amenities.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss37 View Post
You see my issue reiflame.....completely opposite responses. It is or isn't like Buffalo; so great to have this site yet can be comfusing. Are you saying Frederick has more "nicer" areas. Yes you do have a better football team, but lets not open that discussion since I'm a Pats fan

There aren't too many people with a middle ground opinion of Baltimore. It is either the incarnation of the Devil himself or it is a quirky, gritty, "real" city that is a joy to live in.

Just falling back on the objective, it is a rowhouse city overall, hit pretty hard by the end of industrial era, population total is about 3/5 of the population in 1950. You can look up the crime stats on this site.

Frederick is a small city that has ballooned since about 1970. It has a historic core area, then suburbs all around. Frederick City has employment sources, but its wealth and growth really comes from being on I-270, which leads into the heart of the DC metro area.

Many people are recommending Frederick because it is a bit cooler than Baltimore, it is easier to get to the countryside from the city, and the prices are going to be cheaper in the rural areas of the county surrounding the city (all things being equal.)

Also, Maryland gets very hot, but not Florida hot or humid. Another poster gave some stats. It is also worth looking at the humidity numbers. An average of 90 degrees with 50-60%% humidity means a dew point in the 70s.........or don't bother trying to go outside. Maryland has days like that, but not entire months.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I lived in Buffalo for 19 years and have been to Baltimore scores of times. I hate the Ravens and any city that steals their football team (I also lived in Cleveland for 4 years, and while I have no particular love of the Browns, I don't think it's ok to steal another city's team, even if your team was stolen). Just needed to make that clear first.

Baltimore and Buffalo are very similar. Frederick is like 60 minutes from Baltimore and not similar to either. It sounds like you are confusing Baltimore and Frederick.

$400 is going to be an outlier in the DC/Baltimore metro area. You might find it, but $500-600 is much more common for a decently sized barn. If you find a person with 3 stalls looking to rent one, you might get $400, but then you're probably on your own for upkeep. You'll need to go a significant distance outside of the cities in order to hit $400. I'm fairly certain that you'll be able to find that in Frederick, but I don't ride up there, so I'm not 100% sure.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM

It will be interesting to see if the type of job I want is an option in that area. So because I have been told that I'm a northerner, single, and professional with my "list"......the masses have somehow concluded Baltimore and San Diego are the answer. I have not been to either, but the two couldn't sound more opposite.
I'm surprised my list is so difficult to find, now I know why some people stay unhappily married. And I am not giving up my horse for nothing...
The ravens were stolen???

Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Honestly, your list is impossible.

1) Not too hot
2) Not too cold
3) Good for middle aged singles
4) Close to some type of job maybe?
5) Close to a city
6) Under $400 a month for board
7) Near water
8) Not in the South
9) Not in the rust belt
10) Not too rainy
11) Not too flat

DC metro is going to be too hot and too expensive for you. Baltimore is in the rust belt like Buffalo. Those are the only two major cities around Maryland. You need to get a little more of a grip on reality about where you want to live. You need to get out and go visit places to determine if you like them, not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:34 PM

4,562 posts, read 7,623,866 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see if the type of job I want is an option in that area. So because I have been told that I'm a northerner, single, and professional with my "list"......the masses have somehow concluded Baltimore and San Diego are the answer. I have not been to either, but the two couldn't sound more opposite.
I'm surprised my list is so difficult to find, now I know why some people stay unhappily married. And I am not giving up my horse for nothing...
The ravens were stolen???
You bet, WE ARE THE BROWNS! 6 NFL championships, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Ozzie Newsome, the whole shebang.

The NFL promotes a fiction that the Ravens were an "expansion team" that arose from the aether in the 1990s and for unknown reasons had the Browns' owner, their GM, their roster of players, their hatred of the Steelers, etc.

Don't believe it! The Ravens are the Browns, I have no clue who those clowns in brown that play in Cleveland are.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 AM

9,419 posts, read 5,209,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Honestly, your list is impossible.

1) Not too hot
2) Not too cold
3) Good for middle aged singles
4) Close to some type of job maybe?
5) Close to a city
6) Under $400 a month for board
7) Near water
8) Not in the South
9) Not in the rust belt
10) Not too rainy
11) Not too flat

DC metro is going to be too hot and too expensive for you. Baltimore is in the rust belt like Buffalo. Those are the only two major cities around Maryland. You need to get a little more of a grip on reality about where you want to live. You need to get out and go visit places to determine if you like them, not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.
We are really trying to help but I tend to agree with this post. We suggested Frederick because of the horses. You can't have Baltimore and horses, it's that simple. I suggested Frederick before I read the $400 budget. Now It's clear that with that budget I just don't see Baltimore or DC. But it sounds like your friend in Baltimore is filling you with "NO" for Frederick and I'm not about to try to talk you into the idea.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM

I figured someone would get nerved up at some point. Seriously. I have been to numerous places and I thought the purpose of this site was to get additional information . So what if my list is long...so is my bucket list.....as we get older we have a better idea of what we want. I also mentioned I'm well aware I will need to give up something on the list to find the best spot. And the 1-11 list is wrong....I never said not too hot; that is what other people said, not too rainy wasn't in the mix because we aren't talking about the northwest, near a job..I was clear I am a professional, and I only compared that I know Buffalo to be depressed.
I thank everyone for their help so far and appreciate the input. Have a fabulous day!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I never said not too hot; that is what other people said
From your VERY FIRST POST:

Florida too flat, too hot, no green except palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or