Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 22,335 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I was hoping to forego getting a phone line through Verizon Fios triple play and get a security system through wifi, gsm or broadband.

I just want something basic. I don't need cameras everywhere or anything that ties into my smart phone. What are some companies with some reasonable plans? I think all the services are virtually the same for my townhome.

I've been looking around and the monitoring services range from $30-$50 a month, not including the installation fees for the alarm system.

One promising thing I've found is: NextAlarm.com - Affordable innovative VoIP home and office monitoring

What are you folks (w.o phone lines) using? I'm putting this in the MD region forum because I'm hoping to find some installers...or maybe I can skip them?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,947 times
I've heard good things about Simpli Safe.

SimpliSafe | Home Security Systems

Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_cartwright View Post
Suggestions for a home security system w.o. a phone line
Best suggestion is to get to know your neighbors.

Next thing to look into is the false alarm policy of your County police. Here's one:
Baltimore County Md. Office of Budget and Finance - Alarm Reduction Section

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

415 posts, read 764,514 times
I didn't want another monthly bill, So i went with a Honeywell alarm system, Just like ADT uses and installs...It's nice it's all wire less battery life is good for 3 to 4 years, I bought mine with 3 door breaks and 1 motion detector, I also bought an extra siren because my house has 3 levels so the key-touch screen with alarm is on the 3 floor right out side our bed room and i put the extra siren in the basement so the sirens are heard threw out the house, whats cool is the alarm key fob' I walk out the door press one button and alarm set, come home hit one button and alarm is disarmed.. I set mine with zero delay, some one pops a door or trips the motion and sirens are set off, alarm wasn't cheap but i fell it was worth it, also i had my wife go on E-Bay and she bought a nice metal reflective Brinks home security sign that i mounted to my front deck that can be seen from the street.... I imagine if some one was goofie enough to pass the sign and kick a door in they wont stick around with sirens blazing thinking the police are on their way...

I also have motion flood lights on all sides of my house as well as 4 cameras covering all sides...looking at my house and some of my neighbors a thief would have to have around a 60 IQ to select my house...
This is the one i installed, but i bought an extra key fob for my father who taxis my girls from school and i bought an extra siren like i said...
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2...arter-kit.aspx
I paid around $500 for mine, but my buddy who went with ADT around the same time and they installed a honeywell alarm a step or 2 under the one I have, He pays $40 a month for monitoring and it's a 2 or 3 year contract.. well 12 x 40= $480...
hope this helps...

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 05-27-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 22,335 times
I live in HoCo.
It looks like I have to register the alarm (plus registration fee ). This is good to know if I install the alarm myself! Thanks for the heads up MrRational.
Howard County - Police: False alarm prevention

SimpliSafe | Home Security Systems looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip. I wonder how sturdy the adhesive backed sensors are? If the adhesive fails and the sensor falls off, it may trigger the alarm.

Last edited by steven_cartwright; 05-27-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Best suggestion is to get to know your neighbors.

Next thing to look into is the false alarm policy of your County police. Here's one:
Baltimore County Md. Office of Budget and Finance - Alarm Reduction Section

that's true, And i do chat with neighbors weekly, but the break in's around here last summer were almost all day time break in's... sadly their was around 27 day time break in's.... even our mayors house got hit...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
that's true, And i do chat with neighbors weekly, but the break in's around here last summer were almost all day time break in's... sadly their was around 27 day time break in's.... even our mayors house got hit...
You said you live in Howard County. I thought Howard County was one of the counties (Like Baltimore County) that doesn't have any incorporated cities or town in it. What municipality do you live in that the mayor 's house was broken into? I'm just curious because I believe I've told folks that Howard county didn't have any.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You said you live in Howard County. I thought Howard County was one of the counties (Like Baltimore County) that doesn't have any incorporated cities or town in it. What municipality do you live in that the mayor 's house was broken into? I'm just curious because I believe I've told folks that Howard county didn't have any.

Nope, not me.... I live in a burb S/W Of Chicago.. and its the scum from Chicago thats doing the break in's in my area.. they caught a few, and some have gang ties with chicago bangers..but it keeps Happening... guess its the new inner city sport= wait till decent workin folk from the burbs go to work and rob'' them...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM

47 posts, read 146,928 times
I have Ackerman and really like them. The wireless monitoring fee is $23.95 a month, and they usually have promotions where the first couple of months are free. The catch is that you have to buy the equipment (instead of leasing it), so there is more upfront cost. If your house already has equipment, they can usually just use what's there to save you money. The $23.95 a month is for basic monitoring services, but if you add fire monitoring (or any other services such as cameras, I think), the monthly fee doesn't go up, you just have to buy the equipment.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
My suggestion:

Feel free to tease me about my old guy flannel pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: