Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,416 times

Advertisements

Hi, my spouse and I are moving to Maryland due to a career opportunity. The company he will be working for is in Columbia while it would be nice to live there based on the research i have done we just dont think we can afford the prices. With that said we are looking for a nice yet affordable city to live in. We have 2 dogs, one large and one small so an area that has lakes/parks would be nice. Also, houses rather than an apartment would be preferred. We currently live in Northwest Denver so it is not quite the burbs but not quite the city. I would not have employment immediately but I would be interested in serving/bartending to help foot the bill but I may not have a mode of transportation so proximity would be preferred...he would be making the move in about a month and I would follow in a few months. Any advice would be great and if you need further details please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red303 View Post
Hi, my spouse and I are moving to Maryland due to a career opportunity.
We have 2 dogs, one large and one small so an area that has lakes/parks would be nice.

The company he will be working for is in Columbia
...we just dont think we can afford the prices.
You're probably correct.

Central Maryland and Howard County is some of the priciest real estate in the whole country.
You could live in parts of Baltimore and pay less in rent but you'll spend most of that in commuting.

Do some homework on costs and budgets:
Cost of Living comparison calculator
State and County QuickFacts

Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Can I suggest Carroll County, MD. Maybe around Eldersburg, or even further north towards Westminster. Friendly communities, decent schools, and plenty of trails and parks in and around the liberty reservoir.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM

Thank you for the replies. All are great tips for where to look and what is important. Commute wouldn't be that big of a concern since his job requires him to travel 90% of the time anyway. Westminster sounds good but i haven't looked too much into it,so I will!

What about great neighborhoods that would allow me to be social? I have read many posts online about how Maryland and it seems like most are home bodies. Denver is definitely different since we are rarely in our homes. In addition we are both 30 and do not have children so schools would not need to be a factor. I would obviously like to be in a safe area. My fear is moving signing a lease and ending up where nobody likes to visit or admit where they live. We have cities here like all states do that have cities where they are lower income and it shows.

Any streets or highways that we should stay away from for traffic? On the other hand the best streets/highways to live near for convenience? Thank you in advance for the advice!!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red303 View Post
Westminster sounds good but i haven't looked too much into it,so I will!

What about great neighborhoods that would allow me to be social? I have read many posts online about how Maryland and it seems like most are home bodies. Denver is definitely different since we are rarely in our homes.
Please don't expect to find the outdoorsy folks you find in Denver. The summers in Maryland are hot and miserable, so few venture out except to the pool or to run early in the AM.

I think you should concentrate on finding an affordable area to live and the rest will follow. There are likely to be Meet-up groups or clubs where you can join outdoor activities. Trips to the Youghoigheny River are popular for white-water rafting.

Eldersburg, Mt Airy and Westminster are all nice areas (not ghettos!). The Liberty Reservoir (as mentioned) is a good place to hike. You might have to get another vehicle if you expect to work, as public transit doesn't exist out in the safe, affordable towns.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 AM

Thank you goldenage, I've never moved outside of the 303 so it is a bit frightening so thank you for pointing out the fact of finding an affordable place to live and the rest will follow!! All of you are so nice to help a stranger out!!! I appreciate it and will put your advice to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland