U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times

Advertisements

Gibbs - I have not always disliked living in Maryland (I have always disliked Montgomery County but liked Maryland as a whole) until recently, especially the past 3 years. The thing is there is a lot of things I like about Maryland, and what especially upsets me is how our state government has destroyed this state. When Ehrlich was governor this was a fine place. Remember that all the things I have been pointing out only happened in the last 3 years. Especially the gas tax which has not been raised since 1992, and the tolls which have remained constant. All the changes that happened recently was a result of a liberal passion that O'Malley ignited during his term as governor. We've gone from a Democrat but moderate state to a radical, left wing state on par with California and New York. The passage of the IADA was a uniquely shocking indication of the radical liberalism that's taken hold.

it really hurts to see what used to be a great state destroyed by our government and by the stupidity of voters, many of whom are NOT native Marylanders and whom moved here from New York and New Jersey in the past few decades and brought their liberal voting patterns with them. If you look at long term NATIVE Marylanders, you won't find many people who support the IADA, the gas tax, or the death penalty repeal. All these are very radical, fringe beliefs along with the wind farm tax and Rain Tax. Then there is the madness in Montgomery County with the plastic bag tax which they want to spread statewide, just like they couldn't keep gun control limited to the urban jurisdictions.

And there are many wonderful parts of Maryland like the Eastern Shore, Western MD, and Carroll County that suffer economic ruin due to O'Malley's liberal policies, such as him not allowing natural gas drilling in Western Maryland and how he has tightened the noose around the agricultural and fishing industries of the Eastern Shore and how he forced Sparrows Point steel to shut down through environmental regulations and taxes and union laws. He also pushes for business unfriendly laws and has tried to force Walmart to leave the state with a radical law dictating how much they must spend on employee healthcare when that (along with mandated paid vacations which is a liberal pet cause too) shouldn't be up to the government. Because Montgomery County dominates the state, the state government doesn't always realize the importance of being pro-business. NOw Baltimore is the largest US city without a single Fortune 500 company based here.

It is seeing Maryland fall so far in such a short time, and all the craziness that has taken place only in the past 3 years. Even 10 years ago, illegal aliens wouldn't have even DREAMED (no pun intended) of demanding in-state tuition which btw will never change their illegality and they still will never be able to use their degree legally. The IADA was what woke me up to the craziness that's taken over this state. That was when I became politically aware and I helped personally collected over 500 signatures against the IADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
And no I DON'T think many people in Maryland treat the issues separately.

So Gibbs it seems you are one of those people who vote Democrat solely for gay marriage or solely for gay marriage and abortion. You basically admitted that you are against all of O'Malley's tax increases and toll increases but you voted for him because he supported gay marriage, and you probably voted for the IADA to reward the Democratic Party for their position on gay marriage. I wonder if you truly support gun control and the death penalty repeal or you are supporting these things out of solidarity with the Democrats. And I assume you are very wealthy and can AFFORD to make the trade off to pay higher taxes in exchange for a government that matches your beliefs on gay marriage and abortion. Yet O'Malley has destroyed tens of thousands of families in Maryland economically and created great hardships through his toll increase, his gas tax increase, and his Rain Tax (the first and only in the entire country this is something even Bloomberg couldn't come up with).

Oh yes and gas stations tend to have a lot of taxable surfaces when it comes to the rain tax, that in addition to the gas tax will really make the price at the pump go up and this year is only the beginning. Remember next year all the tolls are also going up, again just so Montgomery County can have the ICC that its Democrat delegation demanded from the state, while rural areas foot the bill.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Gibbs: In that thread I think you got me confused with Tom. Great, that just made my morning to be confused with that guy.. LOL.

I'm the one planning to move to WV at retirement. But not by choice, by financial necessity. Tom is simply an angry old man who likes to complain about everything. Must suck to go through life so angry and miserable. Me? I love Maryland and am proud to call it home.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 AM

559 posts, read 582,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Gibbs: In that thread I think you got me confused with Tom. Great, that just made my morning to be confused with that guy.. LOL.

I'm the one planning to move to WV at retirement. But not by choice, by financial necessity. Tom is simply an angry old man who likes to complain about everything. Must suck to go through life so angry and miserable. Me? I love Maryland and am proud to call it home.
Sorry abou that Dave! I remembered reading about someone moving to WV, but I couldn't find the thread that referenced it.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM

559 posts, read 582,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And no I DON'T think many people in Maryland treat the issues separately.

So Gibbs it seems you are one of those people who vote Democrat solely for gay marriage or solely for gay marriage and abortion. You basically admitted that you are against all of O'Malley's tax increases and toll increases but you voted for him because he supported gay marriage, and you probably voted for the IADA to reward the Democratic Party for their position on gay marriage. I wonder if you truly support gun control and the death penalty repeal or you are supporting these things out of solidarity with the Democrats. And I assume you are very wealthy and can AFFORD to make the trade off to pay higher taxes in exchange for a government that matches your beliefs on gay marriage and abortion. Yet O'Malley has destroyed tens of thousands of families in Maryland economically and created great hardships through his toll increase, his gas tax increase, and his Rain Tax (the first and only in the entire country this is something even Bloomberg couldn't come up with).

Oh yes and gas stations tend to have a lot of taxable surfaces when it comes to the rain tax, that in addition to the gas tax will really make the price at the pump go up and this year is only the beginning. Remember next year all the tolls are also going up, again just so Montgomery County can have the ICC that its Democrat delegation demanded from the state, while rural areas foot the bill.
Tom - Where did I say I voted for O'Malley? I never said that. I never mentioned anything about abortions either. You are making ignorant assumptions. But having read through several of your other rants, I see that is nothing new for you. I said that I have no problem with gay marriage. I am not a Democrat (I'm not a Republican either). Believe it or not, you don't have to be a Democrat to be in favor of gay marriage, and that the pros of living in MD outweigh the cons for me. That doesn't mean that I think MD is perfect. There is no utopia anywhere. There are some of us who don't blindly pledge allegiance to one particular party, and we don't get foaming at the mouth crazy over partisan nonsense. You wrote that ridiculously long diatribe in response to a very simple question - why do you continue to live in a place that you despise so much? Your response did nothing but reinforce the fact that you are filled with anger and bitterness towards anyone who views life differently than you do. You seem to be an extremely miserable person who enjoys trying to spread that misery to others. Life is too short to be perpetually angry all the time. I suggest you try to find some happiness, or at least stop projecting your anger and misery onto others.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,494,602 times
No. Why shouldn't two people in love and committed to one another be allowed to get married?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times
I have been a very vocal critic of O'Malley and the taxes in this state. But I also understand that the economic downturn had a lot to do with it. My problem with Tom is he throws out blanket statements about liberals as if they are to blame for all of our problems. He claims that O'Malley has singlehandidly ruined families financial in Maryland. You may want to take a look at Michigan, PA or virtually every other state in the union before you claim that the financial hardship here is unique to Maryland and all falls on the Governor.

He also claims that MD was a great state back in the day. Tom: Do you consider back in the day to only be the 4 years of Ehrlich? What about the years 1969-2003, when Maryland had Democratic liberal Governors? You can't have it both ways. Either you think Maryland was a great state before O'Malley, which not only includes Ehrlich but 5 Democratic Governors going back 44 years, or you need to admit that you are simply a hater who will only give credit to the one Republican Governor the state has had while completely dismissing the good the previous 5 Democratic Governors have done.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-03-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Gay marriage is a ploy to give people equal rights.

How dare they.
To legitimize perversion, not give equal rights.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Sigh. Go back to bible thumping. There's no sense in even trying to explain equal rights to people like you. Get your bible out of my government.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM

2,716 posts, read 2,532,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or