U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM

544 posts, read 855,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What you're missing is this: in MD the Governor punishes whoever doesn't toe the line.
This, except I would say that O'Malley is one of the weakest governors in the country and it's actually Mike Miller and Michael Busch doing the string pulling. Those guys are a great argument for term limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,533,758 times
@PhenomenalAJ

Still waiting for these imaginary identical accounts.That have "identical opinions without disagreement in every other thread".

Judging by your sudden silence: ...(not surprising).
I think it's safe to say you are a white liberal filled with BS.

It's almost like you hate the fact that Blacks do not all think the same.

....next.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM

6,548 posts, read 11,626,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the problem Tom. Outside the I-95 corridor, in which you also have to include Howard and Charles Counties now, MD is a fairly conservative state. Even Democrats there are conservative, in many cases more so than Republicans. When George Owings (D-Calvert) resigned from the House of Delegates to become Ehrlich's Assistant Secretary and then Secretary of Veteran's Affairs the Calvert County Democratic Central Committee selected a liberal, for Calvert and really for anywhere, replacement. She lasted one term after whatever she served of Owings' term. She was too liberal for Calvert. But representation is weighted to the corridor for actual realistic reasons and, failing that, gerrymandering.

What you're missing is this: in MD the Governor punishes whoever doesn't toe the line. "That's a nice road you want. Too bad you didn't support me on ____________________". When that kind of power is available it tends to stifle dissent and members who would normally be opposed to various initiatives go along to protect their Districts. In the Senate Mike Miller is famous for getting payback on members who cross him. From personal experience that payback also extends to local elected officials.
Oh then I wonder what will happen to Frederick County for only charging a 1 cent rain tax, or to Carroll or Harford Counties for standing up to gun control. Now to think over what you wrote, maybe that's why while the proposed toll increases for the Bay Bridge and Susquehanna River was decreased (though still too high) the proposed rates for the Baltimore harbor crossings stayed the same, to punish eastern Baltimore County residents and legislators for opposing the illegal alien Dream Act.

The elected officials are supposed to answer to their constituents, and since most people were against the gas tax it should never have been passed, same with the rain tax and wind farm tax at the very least.

While Virginia also had a gas tax increase, which is regrettable for them and may hurt their Republicans on the national stage, at least its better than the gas tax here since Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads did see a higher increase than the state average. Montgomery County and PG County need to tax themselves to fund mass transit in the DC area.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,017,221 times
Residents speak out against parkway that would connect Prince William, Loudoun

Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,213,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
@PhenomenalAJ

Still waiting for these imaginary identical accounts.That have "identical opinions without disagreement in every other thread".

Judging by your sudden silence: ...(not surprising).
I think it's safe to say you are a white liberal filled with BS.

It's almost like you hate the fact that Blacks do not all think the same.

....next.
You do have a point. But I'm not sure this is the place to get all chesty. I mean seeing as you are a closed minded bigot as I said.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Dave you might be very unhappy in West Virginia where guns are abundant and illegal aliens do not get in-state tuition, and where coal mining and natural gas drilling is allowed.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,533,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You do have a point. But I'm not sure this is the place to get all chesty. I mean seeing as you are a closed minded bigot as I said.
You are right! There are a few closed minded BS filled bigots here.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 AM

9,426 posts, read 5,213,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Dave you might be very unhappy in West Virginia where guns are abundant and illegal aliens do not get in-state tuition, and where coal mining and natural gas drilling is allowed.
Yeah my trip to Charles Town showed a rally at City Hall by gun owners, I just kind of chuckled. But I don't base where I live on politics. When I went to vote in Mt Airy I looked around and was convinced that I was the only person in the room voting for gay marriage and President Obama. I sure as Hell was the only guy with a tie on. But these are the same people that hold the door for me with a smile at the Safeway and that is what I base my opinion of them on, not how many guns they own.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM

544 posts, read 855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
not how many guns they own.
You shouldn't judge them on that either. Around 40% of Americans own firearms, and they come from all walks of life.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM

I think the Democrats under O'Malley introduced gay marriage as a topic to mobilize a lot of single issue voters who went there and voted for Obama and O'Malley and the other Democrats just so they can defend gay marriage, even though many of these were probably against all the tax increases and toll increases and perhaps even against the illegal alien Dream Act and the death penalty repeal.

I wonder if the gay marriage single issue voters still believe it was a worthwhile trade off. To get their social liberalism in regards to gay marriage, but now lose the right to bear arms, pay higher taxes in EVERYTHING, pay for illegal aliens to get a free ride in college getting a useless degree, pay the nation's only rain tax and the nation's only wind farm tax and pay some of the highest tolls in the nation (most states have no tolls at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or