U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,616,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah my trip to Charles Town showed a rally at City Hall by gun owners, I just kind of chuckled. But I don't base where I live on politics. When I went to vote in Mt Airy I looked around and was convinced that I was the only person in the room voting for gay marriage and President Obama. I sure as Hell was the only guy with a tie on. But these are the same people that hold the door for me with a smile at the Safeway and that is what I base my opinion of them on, not how many guns they own.
That area of West Virginia is really just an extension of Maryland and people elsewhere in the state are concerned about the liberalism growing there, the way liberal transplants in Northern Virginia have changed Virginia politically and NOVA is so different from the rest of Virginia, even Richmond and Roanoke. I'll be moving to Charleston, WV, a world apart from Charles Town or Martinsburg. West Virginia is still too liberal and Democrat despite being better than Maryland. Their gas tax is the 10th highest in the nation, some of their taxes are above the national average, their Senators support Obamacare and gun control, and they also don't have the death penalty, so there is certainly room for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
That area of West Virginia is really just an extension of Maryland and people elsewhere in the state are concerned about the liberalism growing there, the way liberal transplants in Northern Virginia have changed Virginia politically and NOVA is so different from the rest of Virginia, even Richmond and Roanoke. I'll be moving to Charleston, WV, a world apart from Charles Town or Martinsburg. West Virginia is still too liberal and Democrat despite being better than Maryland. Their gas tax is the 10th highest in the nation, some of their taxes are above the national average, their Senators support Obamacare and gun control, and they also don't have the death penalty, so there is certainly room for improvement.
More like Shenandoah Valley North. These counties by culture and geography should be part of VA. They are only part of WV because the land was occupied by Federal troops when the vote to form the state was held. Being occupied affects the ability to have free elections.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,016,098 times
I'm glad I don't based my views on some political non-sense.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 AM

9,411 posts, read 5,206,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I'm glad I don't based my views on some political non-sense.
To some it's more important to others obviously. I care about politics to a degree. But as I said overall quality of life, living in a nice place with good people who hold the door or help you with a broken down car is more important to me than how they feel about the death penalty.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
To some it's more important to others obviously. I care about politics to a degree. But as I said overall quality of life, living in a nice place with good people who hold the door or help you with a broken down car is more important to me than how they feel about the death penalty.
I do agree with you here, but sometimes these things are linked, such as morals linked with religion, which also links with what people believe on things like abortion. I was born in the Deep South and hospitality was part of our culture, as was going to church and being conservative.

Now gay marriage doesn't affect my own life in any way, however O'Malley's fiscal liberalism is what impact my life, and obviously YOUR life, and has destroyed the lives of many across this state. For example go to the Baltimore Sun's website today and read the moving stories about the lives destroyed by the closure of Sparrows Point here in Baltimore County. All that is because of Martin O'Malley, the Maryland Democrats, the unions, and the Democrats' taxes, regulations, and environmentalism. For example they expect any new buyer to inherit the cleanup costs PLUS the cost of actively looking for pollution to clean up. Yes.....any buyer at the Point would have been required to ACTIVELY SEEK OUT POLLUTION TO CLEAN UP per MDE mandates under O'Malley's orders. I'm sure the regulations about operating the plant, plus what I mentioned before, plus the unions together killed any chance of Sparrows Point finding a new buyer. I know if I was a new business owner, I would choose Virginia over Maryland when starting a new business. Maryland's high minimum wage is also very business unfriendly as well.

Now many of the liberal Democrats no longer care about blue collar jobs, and don't care if we lose them. The liberal base in Bethesda doesn't care that Western Marylanders want natural gas fracking to begin so that jobs can go to that region. They don't care that O'Malley's regulations are very business unfriendly toward Purdue and poultry farming in the Eastern Shore, and that the runoff requirements passed to satisfy the liberal yuppie base destroys family farms on the shore. The liberal attitude is to focus on government related jobs and high tech stuff......they no longer care about blue collar workers like those in Sparrows Point and Western MD and the Eastern Shore. The Maryland Democrats will always put a fish or a deer before a blue collar worker. We see that fact very obviously.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 17,964 times
Quote:
Maryland's high minimum wage is also very business unfriendly as well.
Maryland's minimum wage is $7.25, the exact same as the federal minimum wage. Not exactly what I would consider high.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:19 AM

9,411 posts, read 5,206,233 times
The Chesapeake Bay in the 70's and 80's was headed towards Lake Erie territory. Runoff from chicken farms was one of the worst offenders. Many of us are very happy with the runoff restrictions.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM

544 posts, read 854,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demdvadc View Post
Maryland's minimum wage is $7.25, the exact same as the federal minimum wage. Not exactly what I would consider high.
Don't fret, he just makes things up and pretends they're true. But, by his logic, MD should be VERY business friendly because of all the illegals here that you can hire for less than minimum wage.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,187,874 times
Ok, so how many of these anti-liberal/Democrat diatribe threads do you plan on starting?

Quote:
I think the Democrats under O'Malley introduced gay marriage as a topic to mobilize a lot of single issue voters who went there and voted for Obama and O'Malley and the other Democrats just so they can defend gay marriage, even though many of these were probably against all the tax increases and toll increases and perhaps even against the illegal alien Dream Act and the death penalty repeal.

...and pay some of the highest tolls in the nation (most states have no tolls at all)
Seriously? First of all Obama was going to win in MD no matter what, and O'Malley was elected 2 years prior (without a gay marriage platform). Also, obviously the ballot questions were separate so voting for gay marriage didn't require you to vote yes for anything else.

Maryland conservatives are 0 for 5 in terms of ballot questions:
- same-sex marriage
- redistricting map
- Dream Act
- gun control
- death penalty

The reason we have ballot questions is so the voters have the final say in deciding if controversial laws get implemented. If anything, conservative voters were the most vocal and the most likely to turn out and vote against the initiatives. "Evil Communist Supreme Leader O'Malley" can't just do as he chooses.

I think you need to acceot the fact that Maryland is a dark blue, liberal state in terms of its overall electorate. Geographically, of course there are many conservative blocs located in the far northwest, south, east, and southeast reaches of the state.

Oh yeah, and most states have no tolls because most states aren't part of the densely-populated, very congested Northeast Corridor. And if you think MD tolls are expensive, maybe you should go for a drive on the Dulles toll road some time.

Quote:
Liberalism in WV? Hardly. WV may have Democratic voting tendencies (particularly on the local level) and be fiscally liberal, but it's definitely not a socially liberal state. WV residents may say they love unions, but ask them how they feel about Obama, gay marriage, or abortion and you'll get the opposite response. WV is pretty much unique in this regard.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Ok, so how many of these anti-liberal/Democrat diatribe threads do you plan on starting?

Seriously? First of all Obama was going to win in MD no matter what, and O'Malley was elected 2 years prior (without a gay marriage platform). Also, obviously the ballot questions were separate so voting for gay marriage didn't require you to vote yes for anything else.

Maryland conservatives are 0 for 5 in terms of ballot questions:
- same-sex marriage
- redistricting map
- Dream Act
- gun control
- death penalty

The reason we have ballot questions is so the voters have the final say in deciding if controversial laws get implemented. If anything, conservative voters were the most vocal and the most likely to turn out and vote against the initiatives. "Evil Communist Supreme Leader O'Malley" can't just do as he chooses.

I think you need to acceot the fact that Maryland is a dark blue, liberal state in terms of its overall electorate. Geographically, of course there are many conservative blocs located in the far northwest, south, east, and southeast reaches of the state.

Oh yeah, and most states have no tolls because most states aren't part of the densely-populated, very congested Northeast Corridor. And if you think MD tolls are expensive, maybe you should go for a drive on the Dulles toll road some time.

Liberalism in WV? Hardly. WV may have Democratic voting tendencies (particularly on the local level) and be fiscally liberal, but it's definitely not a socially liberal state. WV residents may say they love unions, but ask them how they feel about Obama, gay marriage, or abortion and you'll get the opposite response. WV is pretty much unique in this regard.
While I am both fiscally and socially conservative, fiscal conservatism is MORE important to me since it has a greater impact on my quality of life in terms of taxes and the economy. West Virginia is the only predominantly rural state that is so Democrat, which is especialy surprising given that rural parts of neighboring states, like Western Maryland or southwest Virginia or the rural counties of Ohio and Pennsylvania are very Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or